CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VA Relocation
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello,

In the process of relocating to VA and could use any help that is available.

I am interested in shotgun sports, reloading, gundogs, waterfowl and upland hunting.

While working here the past two weeks I have encountered
The Dixie Classic Gun Show at the Showplace
Green Top Sporting Goods
Dance's Sporting Goods
The usual Gander Mt & Bass Pro

Thanks for your help in advance.

"Hope my wife never sells my guns and gear when I am gone for what I told her I paid for them."

Post subject: Re: VA Relocation
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:51 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Understand you are moving about an hour from Richmond. I would first suggest you ID a good gun club. Some clubs to condider: Fredericksburg R&G (Fredericksburg), Northern Virginia Gun Club (King George/Dahlgren), Richmond Gun Club (Charles City), Piedmont GC (Gordonsville), Chesapeake Bay GC (Village), Fort Lee GC (Ft Lee, near Petersburg), South Anna GC (Glen Allen). In case I haven't listed a place close to where you are relocating, check the list of clubs at VSSA:
http://www.vaskeet.com/vssa/index.php

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:28 pm 
Field Grade

There is also Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club and it's Cavalier Sporting Clays "subsidiary". The sporting clays is what I think is call 5 stand (sorry, relatively new to the terms and such). What is nice about Cavalier is they are an all purpose gun club with pistol bays, PPC and 25 yard pistol ranges and 100 and 500 yard rifle ranges. They also have a small lake stocked with bass, crappie and bluegills, a camping area with electrical hook-ups, water and a heated shower. The initiation and annual fee is a bit steep, but I think one gets a lot for their money.

Another option for a general gun club is Black Creek Shooters Association on the east side near Cold Harbor. It has a trap field with a single trap thrower, but no organized shotgun shooting. Members can use the trap for the price of the clays thrown. I hear they just got a voice activated throwing system for individual use.

Bullseye_10x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Try ClayTargetsonline-it is up to date.

You have some very good options available as far as ranges go--Central Virginia (Palmyra, VA),
Old Forge (Providence Forge, VA), Flying Rabbit (Harrisonburg, VA), Bull Run (Centreville, VA), Summit Springs (Ferrum, VA)--these are primarily Sporting Clays. There is a range near Remington, VA that is also a hunting preserve. Shoot any of these and you will meet the locals who can clue you in for local hunting. Also, there are several ranges on the Maryland Eastern Shore--most of them are hunting preserves. Check out Hopkin's, Pin Tail, Schrader's, and M&M (Pennville, NJ--a long haul but worth it).

Come up to Bull Run for one of the Spring or Fall NSCA shoots.

Welcome to the Old Dominion and good shooting.

B-R-S-I.COM
VA NSCA Delegate
NSCA Level 2, Instructor
NRA Level 1, Shotgun Coach

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:45 am 
Tournament Grade

Appreciate all the info. Looking forward to enjoying Virginia in 2011.

"Hope my wife never sells my guns and gear when I am gone for what I told her I paid for them."