ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smith Mountain Lake area, Places to shoot in
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: Western Carolina - foothills to the Great Smoky Mtns!
Hello, Virginia SGW members!

Just curiosu as to where a pretty 'afflicted' clays shooter might be able to break some targets down around the Smith Mountain Lake State Park area, while my wife and I visit next weekend. (We're travelling down VA Rtes 3, 20, 15 & 29 and 460 Fri and Mon so, I figure that leaves Sat & Sun for me to look for some fun!)

I have been reviewing some of the clubs that show up on claytargets online but, experience has shown me that doesn't always show "all" the spots to break rocks and that some of the best gems-of-places-to-shoot are those ya find about by askin'!

Heck, even after lookin' over claytargets online, I've got some questions. For instance, Brushy Mtn Club appears closest; however; even though it says, "other shooting days available by appointment", there's no # to call. Anyone know a good contact for Brushy Mtn Club, in case any members might be shooting there, Saturday?

Also, can anyone advise the distances from the south edge of the Smith Mountain Lake State Park to the following clubs (or if any are or are not worth driving to, from where we're staying?

Roanoke Rifle & Pistol Club

Franklin Co. Gun Club

Summit Springs Shooting Sports

Lastly, are there any places to shoot along (or worth going off the beaten path for) west of Fredericksburg as we drive down VA Rtes 3, 20, 15 & 29 and 460 ?

Sorry to go so long but, I can't go more than 36-48 hours without pullin' a trigger!!!!!!!!!!!

All assist appreicated (maybe I can return the favor someday, too!)

Post subject: Re: Smith Mountain Lake area, Places to shoot in
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sorry for the long delay, but I'm new and just saw this post...

I can't speak for the others, but I highly recommend Summit Springs. I'm not sure on the distance from the Lake (it depends on what part of the lake that you're coming from I guess and I'm not at all familiar with the area). I would guess however that Summit Springs is closer than Roanoke Rifle and Pistol Club.

Drop me a message if you want more info (but I expect that its much too late!)

Post subject: Re: Smith Mountain Lake area, Places to shoot in
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: Western Carolina - foothills to the Great Smoky Mtns!
Thanks! We / I shot Summit Springs (grrreat folks and course!) on Friday and Brushy Mountain Club (awesome club and course!) on Sunday. Now, if I could just convince the wife we need to re-settle in that area (she's been eyeing the Gulf coast of FLA for decades, though!