CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Trap first Pump gun Advice needed
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi all,
I'm new to trap shooting and am looking to buy my first shotgun. I've been reccomended to make sure I buy a "trap" quality gun because of the volume of shells that I'll end up using in trap and sporting clays. I've been reccommended that I look at the Remington 870 as an overall good starter, but when I look at it online, there are at least 12 different versions of the 870. Is the only 870 model acceptable for significant trap use the "cassic trap" model because it is much more expensive than the other versions? Would the 870 express or express tactical be good choices? I would like to be able to use it for hunting some time in the future and the "classic trap" seems a little to nice for crawling through the brush.

Thanks for the input,
Cyph3r314

Post subject: Re: New to Trap first Pump gun Advice needed
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shotguns designed to shoot trap typically have a higher than normal barrel rib, and the comb of the stock is elevated and parallel with the barrel. This design allows you to see and break a rising (trap) target. The trap design also works pretty well for hunting upland birds which are many times shot on the rise.
I think an 870 Trap model, equipped with a good quality recoil pad, would make a good choice for your needs. Welcome to SGW.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:56 pm 
Field Grade

Look for a pre1980 870 or a new BPS the old 870 is smoother than any of the new guns if you can find a TB, TC or mag. you will have a hard time putting it down.
Bps(Browning pump shotgun) with 30"trap barrel is a beautiful all around gun since you can buy barrels for deer and it throws shells at your feet... your line mates will love you...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

Get yourself a nice used 870 trap model. Barrels are cheap if you decide to hunt with it in the future.