CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for South-Central-PA sporting shooters
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:17 am 
Diamond Grade

For those who have actually shot both: If you could only shoot sporting clays at one or the other, Warrenton or Central Penn, which one would you shoot 100 targets at?

I will be blasting through that area on business and, as crazy as it sounds; even though the two facilities are just minutes from one another, realistically, I will be lucky if I have time to stop and shoot a complete 100 targets at either. No way I can do both (really tight timeframes on this road trip). I'll be travelling there from pretty far out-of-state so, I have never been to either (but hear great things)!

Thanks in advance for any assist!

Post subject: Re: Question for South-Central-PA sporting shooters
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I have not shot both but since nobody else responed I thought I would. I have shot at Cenral Penn several times and have enjoyed it everytime. Our chapter of Pheasants Forever holds its Youth Hunt and Sporting Clays fundraiser at Central Penn and they have been very helpful. I have taken serveral friends out and they have enjoyed it as well. Our chapter of PF did contact Warrington but they did not seem to be as accommodating as central penn.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for the firsthand info (wish me luck on the easy stations :oops: )!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am gonna have to go back and give CenPenn a try, wound up hitting Warrington and, all's I can say is I AM DEFINITELY going back (here and CenPenn, that is)!

Holy cow, the 5-stand at Warrington has 3 (!) towers with stations offering distances from 40 out to 70 yards (and everything in between). What an incredible place to practice truly long shots!!!

The couple managing the club (Matt and Ana) are a wonderful pair and Matt bends over backwards to make you feel truly like a guest.

The thing that struck me most about him is that he is the consummate land-steward. The trouble he's gone to as far as landscaping is very, very apparent. (First time I can think of where I really, really wanted to pick my empties up . . . its that kind of place.)

Oh, and, I can't actually speak "for" him; however; I suspect why you may have gotten less of a reception than CenPenn as far as a group. That is, Warrington is for now a true family operation. Right now, it is just Matt and his Dad (great guy, 'Earl') and Ana after she gets off her regular job and tends to the 2 kids.

That was the best part: Matt's 13yoa daughter tagged along and kept score for us. Great kid.

The only things that would've made today better would've been if: a) some friends could've joined me, and; b) had I been able to get across the road and shoot CenPenn, also.

Oh well, I know enough to appreciate what I got.

Definitely recommend Warrington -- both the 5-stand and the sporting course through field and forest!

Best o' sucess!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:23 pm 
Utility Grade

Glad you had a good time. Maybe I'll have to try Warrington sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Welllllll, as it turns out, I'm hitting CenPenn on the way home tomorrow!!! You see, the 'business' I was on was taking my wife (aka-"the boss") up to the Carlisle Classic Auto Show and Auction to "begin the process" of finding her a '66 GTO. Beyond all expectation (some would argue reason) we dropped the hammers on an all original, matching numbers, one owner hardtop with only 27,000 miles on it! Wife says I could shoot 100 targets every day for the rest of my life and she wouldn't whsiper a word about it! Now, that's a goal . (Grin). .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Let me know how it was. I'm curious how Central Penn compares to Warrington.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Let me give you a little back ground about both clubs... Warrington was around for a long time, it was expensive to be a member, but was a awesome club. The lady that managed Warrington was bar none for sporting clays and invested a lot of her own money into traps and the like. A friend was a trapper there and also did a huge amount of work making new fields and presentations. After a while the owners of Warrington decided that they knew better and that they would now run the club, in the process kicking the lady out that had grown the club. This is also about the same time that Central Penn started to have sporting clays, so everyone that was disinchanted with Warrington simply went a few hundred yards further down the road. I personally haven't shot at Warrington in about 5 years, I don't really care to either. The people at Central Penn also do everything in their power to make you feel at home and surely cater to their customers (sporting clay shooters and bird hunters).

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

That background sure sounds a shame and I am glad those "know-it-alls" have moved on. I just wish they coulda divested themselves *before* running-off the prior mgr woman you describe.

That said; however; and, having met the current management, I am confident the history of over 1/2 a decade ago (or more, now) is no reflection on them.

Like the woman who preceded them, they were hard at work making the course better each time I've arrived and, like the folks at C. Penn, really do go outta their way to accomodate shooters, whether on the wooded sporting course or incredible 5-stand.

Since my original post, I've made the trip up and shot BOTH Warrington AND Central Penn several times and they both surely do boast fine, fine courses AND people!

I'd consider myself right lucky to have either of these two clubs closer to me; the thought of having 'em both close to me and just a few hundred yards away from each other, well, just plain makes me giddy!

Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Did you get a chance to shoot the 5-stand at Warrington??? Kick ya in the seat of your pants targets tower 1 is crosser at 55yards shot over a pond and than theres field 3 on sporting course with 3 autos and rabbit trap, multible shooting stations unlimited presentation,,, there down fall is the management you got a 2 page waver to fillout before you can shoot, theres always wait and its disorginized ,,, But I am see'in changes
there we'll see

I can't say enough for the Harold,Maryann and the whole Central Penn Club These guys have there act together,, Great people, Great targets (that get changed may I say) no wait to shoot,,, just a great experience every time,,, Did I say Great Targets?? 8)