CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where to shoot near Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:31 pm 
Field Grade

Location: Eastern Ohio and Western PA depending on the day...
I have just taken a job in Pittsburgh and am moving to the area.

I did a search on claytargetsonline and it seems like there are alot of options in the area (which I find encouraging). However I was hoping to get some feedback from any forum members who are in the area and possibly find someone to meet at one of the local clubs.

I have mainly shot skeet and sporting clays with a tad bit of trap mixed in during the winter months. We haven't settled on an area around Pittsburgh where we are going to live yet so I'm also pretty flexible about which direction any clubs are located (I've assured my wife that shooting locations will have no influence on where we live :wink: )

Any information you can provide on places in the area is appreciated. If you have links to websites, directions, etc those are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Post subject: Re: Where to shoot near Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:39 pm 
Field Grade

what general area in respect to the city. n, e, s, w?

Post subject: Where to shoot near Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:56 pm 
Field Grade

Today my office is downtown and I'm staying just outside of downtown (Squirrel Hill area) so I'm pretty open to any direction. In general (I know this isn't terribly specific) we'll probably end up living close south hills (Mt Lebo) or close north hills (Wexford/Sewickley) depending on the house my wife picks and what schools.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:26 pm 
Field Grade

sorry, more familiar with the area north of the airport. you'll likely have much better (closer) options.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here is a good starting point for you. http://www.pasportingclays.com/HTML/index.shtml

around Pittsburgh, look at Hunting Hills, Castlewood, Lawrence County Sporting. To your east, Buffer Creek, Stoneycreek, Nemacolin (The Shooting Academy) and Seven Springs. You have got to visit Seven Springs, but check the weather first.

Visit this chat site: http://www.claysportsonline.com/index.php?www. Ask the same question, and K80 (Terry) will give you more info. He is much closer to Pittsburgh that I.

Good to have another shooter in Western Pa.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For the South Hills try Library Sportman Association. Google it for info.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:27 am 
Tournament Grade

I mainly shoot at castlewood clays and they usually have a nice SC course set up (unless they have rented some of their throwers out) I've shot Lawrence county also and it's nice but I prefer Castlewood over them, Lawrence did change their courses to 4 traps at each station and are labeled a b c & d for different levels of difficulty I would like to go back and check it now that they have changed, I try and shoot on most Sundays if I don't have family stuff to do and usually shoot all winter long being PA still dont let us hunt on Sundays.

my appoligies didn't realize this thread was from January

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:13 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks BWilson.

Since I'm downtown and staying in Greentree now, I've found that Library and Clariton are still quite a drive from downtown during the week. I can't leave work before 5 and the traffic south makes both of those almost an hour drive (or more to Library). So it may be work considering Castlewood as, even though it's further away, I may be able to get there and back downtown in less time on the turnpike. It looks like Skeet and Sporting Clays are both open to the public on Tuesday nights, so I will try and hit them up in a week or two.

Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:02 am 
Tournament Grade

mudmutt wrote:
Thanks BWilson.

Since I'm downtown and staying in Greentree now, I've found that Library and Clariton are still quite a drive from downtown during the week. I can't leave work before 5 and the traffic south makes both of those almost an hour drive (or more to Library). So it may be work considering Castlewood as, even though it's further away, I may be able to get there and back downtown in less time on the turnpike. It looks like Skeet and Sporting Clays are both open to the public on Tuesday nights, so I will try and hit them up in a week or two.

Thanks for the feedback.

mudmutt, I live about 15minutes North of the airport off of 376, if you ever get a chance and want to shoot on a Sunday let me know if your looking for someone to shoot with, my buddy and I don't mind we're not too serious about our scores and I mainly shoot for duck practice.