Shotgun Forum banner

Pheasant hunting?

12K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  rja 
#1 ·
If anyone is looking for a partner to hunt pheasants this fall hit me up. Never hunted for pheasant out here in the PNW.

#3 ·
Hey, I'm in Kitsap County too!

If any of you guys have a dog, I'd be up for doing some Pheasant hunting, as well.

There's a release site somewhere in Tahuya (down near Belfair).
Used to be Mission Creek, but they moved it.

In Eastern Washington, if you join the "George Community Hunt", you can hunt all the farmer fields between George and Quincy.
That was some of the best pheasant hunting in the state, back in the late 70's.

I've also heard good reports about hunting along the Columbia river, just this side of the Blues, but have never hunted there.

Mail me, we can always plan for next season.

Dean

#6 ·
Rake,

George is a town in eastern washington. You know you're there when you see the "Martha Inn Cafe", while heading east on I-90.
The town is pretty much a farming community and stretches over a fairly large area, including the town of Quincy, which is just a few miles north.
The farmers allow hunters to work their fields in the fall, but can opt out if they choose.
In order to keep things "fair and square", they have the hunters pay a small fee, which allows them access to the fields.
When I used to hunt there, you were given a large button, which you wore somewhere where it could be easily seen (Dad and I used to pin them to the front of our hats).
Hunters who attempt to hunt the fields, without signing up are tresspassed from the property. Legal fines and possible jail time may follow suit, should the farmer feel so obligated.
Since this was instigated by the Community of George, Washington, its known as the "George Community Hunt".
Back when I used to hunt there, you signed up at the grange hall (although I seem to remember it being label as the "Community Hall"). Once you paid the fee, you were given the button(s) and a map showing which fields were open and which weren't.
These locations would change just about every weekend, btw, although I think you only paid the fee once (that may have changed, since).
When the beets are cycled in, the pheasant are plentiful. Their numbers tend to dwindle when they're rotated out, though.
However, I remember seeing a number of huns and Bobwhite's (they like the alfalfa fields) there, too.
There's a lake, or rather "lake", up near Quincy that was popular with the local duck hunters, too.
...and in case the town of George sounds a bit familiar, but you can't quite remember why, its also the home of The Gorge Amphitheatre (a little south of the I-90 turn off) and why that place is also known as "The Gorge at George".

Dean

#15 ·
Well, there's always Black Canyon, which is out by Naches and Selah.
You could walk the ridges and it was Chukar heaven, or go across the road and there were plenty of Huns and Pheasant.
Otherwise, there was a release site in Tahuya, which is over on my side of the mountains.

Dean

#16 ·
I realize this thread is old, but is anyone still looking for a partner to go hunting with? I have a GSP, young and still learning, but loves to hunt and I just want to get him on some birds. He's been awesome at holding his point on preserve birds but still learning not to get too close to the wild ones. If you know the spots, I'll bring the dog.

FYI - I live in Everett, WA, but don't mind traveling to the east side. I've heard good things about Quincy, and I'm especially keen on trying to get over there this holiday weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.