It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electronic ear pro- inner or muffs?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good day! I am looking to buy a nice set of electronic ear protection, to be used primarily for hunting. I use foam ear plugs when on the clay ranges and find them to work well. My question lies in which is better for recognizing the direction the noise comes from. When duck hunting, it is important to be able to tell which direction the sound is coming from. My cheap electronic muffs amplify sound but direction is pretty much impossible to determine. Any experiences? I'm primary looking at the Pro Ear Predator Gold muffs and the Ghost Stryke inner ears. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Electronic ear pro- inner or muffs?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

Any hunting experience with any inner or outer electronic ears brands?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I've been wearing Pro Ears Predator Golds for years now. Love 'em up until about 80 degrees. At that point they can be a little warm. Then I'll switch to electric plugs. If you're duck hunting in a blind, the muffs would be great and they do help keep your ears warm in cold weather! If you're walking through brush, you'll get the muffs pulled off your head on occasion, which might not be so bad, but your glasses go with them so it isn't the best of experiences. No problem with the electronic plugs though---except the price.

I really like electronics in the field. They make it easy to keep track of the dog when it's in the brush and provide protection when somebody touches one off unexpectedly in the neighborhood of your ears. All while you can shoot the breeze if you please. They also provide a safety margin in that you can sometimes hear other hunters when they are approaching. That's especially handy when the sun is in your eyes, or as with the dogs, the brush is too thick to see well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

I never use muffs while shooting a shotgun or rifle....which is always outdoors, hunting or targets. Indoor range which is handgun/.22 rimfire rifle................ I double up, both ear plugs under muffs. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Several brands use four mics (two per ear) to help you in determining direction.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold Muffs and not only do they work well they keep my ears warm.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:35 pm 

I don't like muffs when wing/clay shooting. They tend to get bumped during the mount process. They are fine when I shoot handguns, rifles, or even stationary shotgunning.

In terms of sound direction, I've not experienced it with electronic muffs http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2 or inserts. I'll be using these for turkey hunting this year to see how it goes. http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/wal ... dsets.aspx I got the XV I'll play around with them a little more in the next few weeks but, don't have high expectations for sound direction.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Agree with others and I have both. I have the pro ear gold muffs and love them in cooler weather. I have electronics that my audiologist fit for me. Westone DefenEar. I use those when it is warm. If I could only have 1 it would be the in ear.

NSCA#633193

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:30 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Been using EAR in the ear electronics since they began making them and now back them up with Pro Ears Predetor Gold muffs. Both made in America. Warranty and service second to none.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:40 am 
Tournament Grade

Gil Ash wrote:
Been using EAR in the ear electronics since they began making them and now back them up with Pro Ears Predetor Gold muffs. Both made in America. Warranty and service second to none.

Could you clarify this, Gil. Are you using both in-ear and over the ear electronic devices?

How does that work out for you?

This was my first weekend using ESPs and I noticed that the "bang" is noticeably louder--even with volume set to lowest--than my old solid silicone plugs....particularly when standing near someone shooting a ported gun. (Oh, that's a different thread!). It made me wonder what the effect would be of wearing a set of Pro Ears or Peltors over the ESPs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:33 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

One or the other. Not both. Wear pro ears over my hearing aids when temp is under 89 degrees. Over 90 or in solid rain the inner ear comes to my rescue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:21 am 
Limited Edition

Wear both foam plugs and use something like Peltor electronic ear muffs. For the duck blind, turn the volume on the muffs on high so you can still hear. They cut off when a shot is fired, of course. Then you have double hearing protection.

My Father, (Thank God), started me out at the earliest of ages with the best hearing protection he could find, back in the day. And it became an ingrained habit with me.

I have a Cousin whose father had a different point of view on this issue. He and his son would actually poke fun at me for wearing ear plugs, or muffs.

My Cousin actually had sons who he raised the same, who had learned from O'le Grand dad, and father to say stuff like "Its only .22s. You dont need ear plugs for that."

Anyway, Cousin is pretty much deaf now. Lots of shooting in the duck blinds, and throughout life with no hearing protection. He recently inquired from me about which electronic muffs to outfit he and his sons with.

So, the point of the story is;..."Dont be that guy". Lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Google military combat ear plugs.
My combat vet son in law swears by them

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Muffs and shotguns don't work together for me. For sure try some unusual shooting positions before you go the muff route such as sitting down and a high overhead shot like you'd get in a duck blind or boat if there's no time to stand up. May get a different result than the typical trap stance and shot.