It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Browning A5 or New Mossberg 930 for purchase?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:06 am 
Utility Grade

When I first started shooting clays, I used a buddy's Belgian made Browning A5.

Now I am about to make my first purchase, and I have narrowed it down to a Mossberg 930 Hunting for the value, but I found a A5 for a similar price.

What do you experienced folk say?

Thank you all for your time. I will greatly appreciate any help and insight.

Tom

Post subject: Re: Old Browning A5 or New Mossberg 930 for purchase?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I wouldn't suggest an older Auto 5 for your only hunting gun. The Mossberg will be much more versatile.

Chamber length, choke tubes all that make the newer gun better if it is your only one. As much as I like the Auto 5, buy one when have more experience and get one just because you want it.

Oh, and welcome. Let us know how you get along.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:28 pm 
Crown Grade

What do you plan to do with it? If it's strictly for hunting I'd take a classic Auto-5 any day over the Mossberg. But I would get one of the newer Japan made guns with Invector choke tubes; or a super clean Belgium version with a Mod choke. (Even better then buy another bbl for it with choke tubes).

If you plan to shoot a lot of clays - note that the Magnum 12's often don't cycle light loads well even with the friction rings set up properly. The Light 12's are usually fine.

The Mossberg is a good all around gun. I'm just not a Mossberg fan.

Personally if it's for all around use I would look hard at the new Remington V3.

Also you didn't say what your budget is, but in the range of a 930 or older Auto-5 the V3 is the best choice unless you find a mint Browning Gold or lightly used Maxus.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:35 pm 
Limited Edition

+1 for the Remington V3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

I agree with McFarmer. If you are only going to have one gun; get the more versatile one. Then get more later. :lol: I love to hunt with my old and antique guns, but with non-tox requirements, bad weather, parts breakage, etc... I don't want to rely on them all the time. One of the newer Japanese A5's with chokes wouldn't be bad if that's what you are looking at, as VT says they can be more load finicky than the 930 would be though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I would get either a nice Miroku made A-5 with screw chokes or find a good deal on a mid 50's Belgian gun. But I would in no way ever buy a mossburg.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:22 pm 
Crown Grade

I would take the Auto 5, but I like Auto 5's and do not have nearly enough Auto 5's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 pm 
Field Grade

I love my old A5's but I don't want to shoot a 100 rds of sporting clay with any of them. I've only seen one of the 930's at the sporting clays range and the fellow that owned had nothing but good things to say about it. I know I'm going to catch heck about it but my favorite sporting clays gun is a Tristar G2 synthetic sporting. I bought it early last year and have put over 3000 rds thru it with out the first failure to feed or failure to eject with every kind of cheap ammo you can think of and my own reloads. I finally broke down yesterday and tore it completely down and cleaned every part not because it was giving me problems but just because I felt guilty. I paid just a little over $600 for mine at a local gun shop. Out of the 20 or more shotguns I own it sees the most use.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

JMHO, get the Mossberg or similar auto for a general purpose gun, and add the A-5 just because you like it..........and beware foreign made auto's in the $1000 price range, parts can be an issue, visit the chosen guns web site and view what parts may be available if needed.

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:27 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

tommyjb wrote:
When I first started shooting clays, I used a buddy's Belgian made Browning A5.

Now I am about to make my first purchase, and I have narrowed it down to a Mossberg 930 Hunting for the value, but I found a A5 for a similar price.

What do you experienced folk say?

Thank you all for your time. I will greatly appreciate any help and insight.

Tom

It really isn't possible to answer your question, for you've not mentioned what your intended uses are. Is it for hunting, if so . . . hunting what? Is it for clays, if so, what kind?

If you are referring to a Belgian Automatic-Five, you will have a fixed choke barrel that is not appropriate for steel shot.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Auto 5. That Mossberg has all the panache of a well timed egg beater.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the help.

@Randy - I'm primarily going to be using it for trap, and I would like to occasionally use it for deer.

I am getting that its a better idea to have something other than an A5 if I'm going to be putting hundreds of shells through the gun every weekend. I took a look at the V3, as well as Randy's review, and it looks like a well-made, entry-level shooter. How does it compare to the 11-87 as a 20 gauge alternative? I don't have the coin for the 1100. I plan on sharing it with the family and want everyone to be able to enjoy it.

@GF1 - I hear you.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm 
Crown Grade

That Auto 5 will digest hundreds of shells every weekend and never even burp, for the rest of your lifetime. Put new springs in it every decade or so and let your grandkids try to wear it out. Probably won't happen.

Now,, I've never shot more than about 400 rounds at a sitting from my Light 12, just because I never have, the first 100 is nothing but warm-up for us.

Now, "occasionally for deer", you may have a hard time finding the right barrel for that in the FN Auto 5's, the Mirokous at least had choke tubed barrels (but thus were heavier).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

When you used your friend's A5, did it give you the impression it wouldn't stand up to clays shooting? Does your friend use that gun to shoot clays or was it an extra gun of his?

If I was only going to have one shotgun, I'd rather have the A5. I think any parts you may wear out are still available.

Take your pick.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 pm 
Crown Grade

There are lots of slug barrels available for Auto-5's at reasonable prices. (Same for 11-87's and 1100's).

I'm a huge Auto-5 fan. I have lots of other nice gas autos and pumps; but my Miroku Auto-5 Mag is my favorite for waterfowl and turkey by far.

Still - for "mainly Trap and some hunting" - I'd probably go with a Gas semi-auto. I've posted this on other threads; but I've bought several Like New or New-old stock Browning Golds for $700-$850, including a Superlight and just last week a test-fired only Gold Fusion 12 gauge LNIC ($850). There are some sweet ones in GunBroker right now.

You can also buy a new 1100 Sporting for $1000 easily (or a Maxus Stalker).

If you aren't comfortable buying a new old stock gun online; I'd get a V3 or Maxus Stalker and be done with it! (Don't get a 3 1/2" gun)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 pm 
Utility Grade

The Auto-5 and Mossberg 500 I used to shoot were 20 gauge. I cannot afford a newer Auto-5, not one with a warranty anyway. V3 only comes in 12. Apologies, as I am very green and only used to 20, but is that going to make a big difference in the ease/fun of trap shooting, especially since I am hoping to enjoy it with my wife and other family members? How does the "soft-kick" of the V3 compare to the kick on a pump-action mossberg 500, or is that comparing apples to oranges?

Also, the V3 appears to have a better build quality than the 11-87, or is that nit-picking?

BTW, I'm looking to spend between $550 and $750. If I go V3, I'm going with the synthetic stock to bring the price down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:15 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

tommyjb wrote:
@Randy - I'm primarily going to be using it for trap, and I would like to occasionally use it for deer.

You can't really compare a Belgian A-5 Light Twenty to a Mossberg 930 12 gauge-- they aren't remotely close in any way.

For casual clays, kinda of do everything a bit, light enough for much of the family plus deer hunting: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... 0RS+Rifled .

In either 12 or 20, an 870 Express Combo works, $446 or so for a smoothbore and a rifled barrel for saboted slug use. That's about the most for the least out there. I'd say consider a 20 gauge for backyard trap + deer hunting, but that's all up to you.

There is no difference in price between a V3 walnut and a V3 camo. As for your wife and other family members, that really covers far too much ground to say one shotgun will be ideal for everyone, plus deer hunting. That shotgun doesn't exist.

You'll probably get as much use out of a 20 gauge 870 Express https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... ,+Modified as anything. $319 cash price from Bud's.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:22 am 
Presentation Grade

I'm shooting two 1187's, both 12's, build quality about the same as V3, just a vastly different platform, I prefer the 1187's kinship to the 1100 gas system. Regardless of the nay sayers have half dozen duck hunting friends who also shoot the 1187, no issues except when using cheap ammo.

"a man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun"…..Old Moe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you're going to shoot hundreds of shells every weekend at trap. it would be better to find a good used 1100 or 11-87, especially if your wife and family will share it. Extra barrels for deer are relatively cheap and a shorter stock can also be had inexpensively if your wife needs that. As for the 930, I don't think Mossberg offers it in 20 gauge; neither does the V3 come in 20.

Look for a used Remington LT20 or 11-87. It will be a much softer shooter than a pump or even the Auto 5.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:53 pm 
Limited Edition

As re using the same shotgun to hunt deer with, this probably wont be a popular suggestion, but what the heck. Use the same barrel you use for clay shooting.

Yep, one with just a bead. Its way more accurate than you would think. Very accurate, actually.

With cheap Remington, Federal, or Winchester foster (cast lead rifled slugs), it will work fine. I have taken a number of deer that way.

As with anything else, Id suggest sighting it in before taking it out hunting. I think you will come away amazed at what you can do with a plain bead, and the back "score lines" on top of the receiver.