CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cantilever vs a drilled and tapped receiver
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:08 pm 
Field Grade

Question; I noticed that some shotgun manufactures, like Browning, offer drilled and tapped receivers on their BPS shotguns (pump action shotguns), but not their semi autos.

I assume drilling the semi autos pose a risk in a gas operated system, but I am only guessing (due to over drilling or perhaps screwing in screws too long for the receiver).

Maybe that's why their semi auto shotguns use cantilever. I’ve also heard the cantilever rails are more accurate, but they also end up mounting a scope higher than it would otherwise be mounted on a drilled/tapped receiver; no?

Post subject: re: Cantilever vs a drilled and tapped receiver
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:06 am 
Presentation Grade

Some cantilever rails are not lined up with the bore of the barrel. And you run out of adjustment before you get them zeroed. Then you have to shim the rings or bend the rail to where it can be sighted in. Mounting the scope onto the reciever this does not happen. By screwing it onto the top of the reciever it can not move. And any gun can be drilled for a scope.

Post subject: re: Cantilever vs a drilled and tapped receiver
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You will find that a lot of people do not like a drilled and tapped shotgun, and that a cantilevered gun holds value better because if you don't like the scope mount, you can get rid of it completely. I have never heard the cantilever was un-accurate, rather the opposite, because with most repeater shotguns the barrel is not rigidly affixed to the receiver.

Post subject: Re: Cantilever vs a drilled and tapped receiver
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:04 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

liberty1 wrote:
Question; I noticed that some shotgun manufactures, like Browning, offer drilled and tapped receivers on their BPS shotguns (pump action shotguns), but not their semi autos.

I assume drilling the semi autos pose a risk in a gas operated system, but I am only guessing (due to over drilling or perhaps screwing in screws too long for the receiver).

Maybe that's why their semi auto shotguns use cantilever. I’ve also heard the cantilever rails are more accurate, but they also end up mounting a scope higher than it would otherwise be mounted on a drilled/tapped receiver; no?

You're more likely to see "drilled and tapped" in a steel receiver rather than aluminum for the obvious reason. Cantilever barrels are generally more accurate as the scope does not move in relationship to the barrel-- as Virginian mentioned, few shotguns have barrels threaded to the receiver these days.