It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Keep It Friendly...Might Apply to YOU
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Agree. People should just support each other. Or what is the point of being here?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good advice. I am new here. Was into guns and am back. Been collecting watchs, have a different watch for each day of the year. For the same amount, I would have about 2,000 guns. No place to put them, watchs are smaller. On watch sites we had the same problems, people new to watchs were picked on. The worst people that do this really knew nothing. For after a few hundard watchs, you had them from every country in the world. Here it seams people are still on "Fords are better than Chevy" thing. Me, any gun is better than no gun.

ATA- Life Member (Sr. Veteran)
NRA- Member
Redlands Shooting Park- Life Membership

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:54 am 
Utility Grade

Great post. I am a newbie on this site & have only posted one question/problem and have really received great help from those who responded.

As to the spell checker, I responded to a post this morning and when I typed "loctite" it automatically changed it to "lactate", but I caught it and changed it back. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:40 am 
Crown Grade

I've been on here for quite a while now. I've seen a lot of folks come and go. Be suspended permanently and reappear under different names. It seems to me that "friendly" has many different meanings depending on the part of the country you're in. Also, a lot of times posts are taken wrong because someone doesn't understand the "tone" of the post because they're not speaking to each other with voices. Instead we have to use smileys (which I despise.)

Sometimes topics don't get locked/posts deleted for months then they seem to get locked 4 or 5 a day. It's like it comes in spells. Winter is always worse to me.

Lastly, I've been accused of being unfriendly several times. As I always post sarcasm is a lost art. You can't be sarcastic on here with some people because they say you're being a meanie. I'm a very smart alecky person and love sarcasm. It makes life interesting sometimes. Fwiw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 pm 
Field Grade

rhett1977 wrote:
I've been on here for quite a while now. I've seen a lot of folks come and go. Be suspended permanently and reappear under different names. It seems to me that "friendly" has many different meanings depending on the part of the country you're in. Also, a lot of times posts are taken wrong because someone doesn't understand the "tone" of the post because they're not speaking to each other with voices. Instead we have to use smileys (which I despise.)

Sometimes topics don't get locked/posts deleted for months then they seem to get locked 4 or 5 a day. It's like it comes in spells. Winter is always worse to me.

Lastly, I've been accused of being unfriendly several times. As I always post sarcasm is a lost art. You can't be sarcastic on here with some people because they say you're being a meanie. I'm a very smart alecky person and love sarcasm. It makes life interesting sometimes. Fwiw

I thought you and I might be friends, then I noticed you were not from NY :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Nope not from there but I've been there several times. Been to Florida too. Too muggy for me lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

shotgunworld wrote:
I'm seeing way too many flames, personal attacks and product bashing/stalking on the forums. Here are some tips I sent to a user by the name of
"Mr. IhateeveryoneI'malwaysrightyousuckandmybuddieswillrunyouofftheforum".

1. You are not ALWAYS right.
2. There is never a GOOD reason to insult someone.
3. Do you treat people like this in face-to-face social events?
4. You weren't born with the knowledge, so at some point you must have known absolutely nothing about shotguns, too.
5. People helped you out....return the favor.
6. This is a privately owned venue and we aren't bashful when it comes to asking the unruly to leave....no matter who you are.
7. Every manufacturer of every brand has a Customer Service department and a Return Merchandise process....do you know why? Because no brand is perfect.
8. If we could buy the $3,000 shotgun we probably would, but when you can only afford $700 then that's what you buy. I apply the same reasoning to buying the Subaru rather than the Rolls-Royce I saw in a magazine.
9. Unless your gun tests included pictures of your children don't be offended when people disagree with the results you post.
10. Respond with courtesy and respect. Picture yourself talking to the other person face-to-face if you have to.
11. "Friendliest gun forum on the net" is something we make every effort to protect.

All members should get this in an email annually, lest we forget.

NRA Life Member

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully"--author unknown
"This is a big f__king deal!"--Vice President Joe Biden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:16 pm 
Field Grade

Just joined this forum and can attest to other forums being populated by bullying haters.Because of differing political views and views on background checks I was run off of there by a group who got together in name calling and complaining to moderators to have me banned.Learned a lesson that guns and politics don't mix.So far no problems here,hope to continue that way.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:02 am 
Diamond Grade

I'd like to thank y'all for the spellcheck info. Particularly with the google download. I've always had windows 7. Got a new laptop and have been on a slow learning curve with Windows 8. Sort of the "old dog, new tricks" poster child right now. I've also left other sites due to certain antagonistic, single minded, rude, individuals who seemed to be interested in nothing but belittling others and arguing. I've been pleasantly surprised here for the most part. SGW has been a great tool for learning in my case.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:35 am 
Presentation Grade

Anybody got any ideas how to help us IPad users with spell check....

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:39 pm 
Limited Edition

I use an iPad exclusively for internet stuff. I turned my spellchecker on in the "Settings, General, Keyboard". I don't care for auto-Caps or auto-fill.
It seems to work just fin. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well said Sir.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:18 pm 
Field Grade

Hi

Good words to live by on the boards and IRL too :-) I've been the administrator of a number of boards over the years and I've discovered that there are people on the net that get off on being nasty and seeing the reaction. You'll never change them best to ban for good.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, I want to learn shooting. Please help me. Google

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

tell this to deadapair. he was joking around with me and he knows im 13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

osok1 wrote:
shotgunworld wrote:
I'm seeing way too many flames, personal attacks and product bashing/stalking on the forums. Here are some tips I sent to a user by the name of
"Mr. IhateeveryoneI'malwaysrightyousuckandmybuddieswillrunyouofftheforum".

1. You are not ALWAYS right.
2. There is never a GOOD reason to insult someone.
3. Do you treat people like this in face-to-face social events?
4. You weren't born with the knowledge, so at some point you must have known absolutely nothing about shotguns, too.
5. People helped you out....return the favor.
6. This is a privately owned venue and we aren't bashful when it comes to asking the unruly to leave....no matter who you are.
7. Every manufacturer of every brand has a Customer Service department and a Return Merchandise process....do you know why? Because no brand is perfect.
8. If we could buy the $3,000 shotgun we probably would, but when you can only afford $700 then that's what you buy. I apply the same reasoning to buying the Subaru rather than the Rolls-Royce I saw in a magazine.
9. Unless your gun tests included pictures of your children don't be offended when people disagree with the results you post.
10. Respond with courtesy and respect. Picture yourself talking to the other person face-to-face if you have to.
11. "Friendliest gun forum on the net" is something we make every effort to protect.

All members should get this in an email annually, lest we forget.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:42 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:29 am 
Utility Grade

new to site and this post is why i am on it . i mostly duck hunt .try to to do some upland ,not allway,s in budget as im ret u.s.m.c. . on 2 other sites who,s name i wont say it,s more off topic razzen than anything.as an old jarhead i can hold my own but not why i logged on .hope this is how thing,s stay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:08 am 
Utility Grade

I've been kicked off lib political web sites for my conservative point of view , but never from a gun , shooting , huting web site. We are all on the same side here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

forehire wrote:
Good advice. I am new here. Was into guns and am back. Been collecting watchs, have a different watch for each day of the year. For the same amount, I would have about 2,000 guns. No place to put them, watchs are smaller. On watch sites we had the same problems, people new to watchs were picked on. The worst people that do this really knew nothing. For after a few hundard watchs, you had them from every country in the world. Here it seams people are still on "Fords are better than Chevy" thing. Me, any gun is better than no gun.

yea, i was new here, and am still saving up for a shotgun, but when i first got here deapapair was picking on me. aint heard from him in a while.having a gun in my hand really makes me happy, and because of my friend, im a good shot. i thank shotgun world and all it`s good members to guiding me to get my first shotgun