CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 Police, Express, Marine Magnum
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi there, I am new to this site so this is my first time posting on here. I am going to buy my first shotgun soon and I intend to get one thats gona outlast me. It will be mostly for home defense and the occasional trip to the range. I have narrowed my choice down to 3 different models of the Remington 870. First: the 870 express 7 round with 18" barrel, Second: 870 Marine Magnum 7 round 18" barrel, Last: the 870 Police 5 shot with 18" barrel. I have read about the differnt qualities of the 870 Police so I am probably going to spend the extra $250-300 for this gun because I want top of the line quality and I want it to last a long time. My question is "Is there a differnce between the 870 Police and the 870 Police MAGNUM?" I have seen it written both ways on the side of the guns receivers. I didnt know if there is sumthing more to the MAGNUM or if they are just stamped different sometime. If anyone knows something about this could you please help me out? THANKS

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Police, Express, Marine Magnum
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:30 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Welcome to SW!

You seem to want a home defense shotgun. Any Remington M870 will fit that need and will probably last both you and your kids a lifetime. However, an 18 inch barreled gun will not be the best choice for a gun to hunt with or shoot targets with.

MAGNUM in a M870 Express, Marine Magnum or Police means that it has a 3" chamber.

In the real world, if you are wanting a M870 to do many things, I'd get a 26" barreled Express ( all of these are 3" magnums) with the standard 5 shot configuration.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:22 am 
Crown Grade

If you are going to keep this one I strongly recommend a Wingmaster instead of an Express. I owned the same Wingmaster for 36 years without one trip to the repair shop, and I used to repair newer Expresses for people, and can tell you the quality is not the same, even though people will tell you it is. There is a reason Wingmasters here cost $550.00 or more and Expresses are cheap, and it's more than skin deep. I don't even let an Express model in my house anymore.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:13 am 
Crown Grade

I bought a new 870 Express 7-shot with 18" barrel earlier this year. The gun was manufactured in January 2009, and has performed flawlessly - right out of the box. Excellent assembly quality and parts fit. The Supercell recoil pad is by far the most effective "aftermarket" pad I've tried to date. If your gun doesn't have one, spend the $20 and order it from Remington.

However, the barrel band system used for the extended magazine models is a pain. Takes forever to remove the barrel, since the band, mag tube extension, and mag spring have to come out first. It is much easier to swap barrels on a standard 870. I'm currently trying to convert my 7 shot model back to the standard length mag tube, but am having difficulty with the OD of a factory replacement mag spring retainer.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the standard length magazine tube, if you're thinking of switching barrels routinely between HD and field & range use.