CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 Shell Magazine Plug
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought my first shotgun a Winchester 1300. And i just shoot with a friend at his place for fun on the weekends no real hunting besides the occasional bird (nothing illegal). Can i remove the magazine plug from my gun to put more shells in it? I live in Illinois if that matters...

Post subject: Re: 3 Shell Magazine Plug
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am not very familiar with Winchesters, but unscrew the cap at the end of the magazine tube and there should be a retainer holding the spring in, find out how to remove it, remove the spring, and the plug should be in the spring. Take the plug out and replace everything the way it came out.

Benelli Super Nova MAX4HD 28" 12ga
Remington 870 super mag turkey camo w/ scope 12ga
Benelli M2 MAX4HD 28" 12ga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:49 pm 
Utility Grade

trap&field wrote:
I am not very familiar with Winchesters, but unscrew the cap at the end of the magazine tube and there should be a retainer holding the spring in, find out how to remove it, remove the spring, and the plug should be in the spring. Take the plug out and replace everything the way it came out.

I know it can be taken out but i haven't tried it. My main concern is the legality of removing it. I don't want to remove it then have game warden or cop check it or something and have it be illegal for any reason. i found this on Winchester website...

"When hunting migratory birds, Federal Law mandates the use of a magazine restriction device that allows only a total of three shells to be held in your shotgun."

I'm not hunting migratory birds so i guess my gun will be legal? Is there a 3 shell limit on deer too? This is all new to me just want to make sure it's legal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

As far as I know there is no limit to how many shells you can use except on migratory birds.

Benelli Super Nova MAX4HD 28" 12ga
Remington 870 super mag turkey camo w/ scope 12ga
Benelli M2 MAX4HD 28" 12ga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:05 pm 
Field Grade

I don't believe the game warden will be checking mag loads on private ground...although i am unfamiliar with Illinois law. Congrats on the new gun!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'd get on the Illinois Department of Wildlife (or whatever they call their version) website, and look it up. Each state varies, and you may find that Illinois has a shell limit for deer, squirrel, birds, whatever. Or not.

Here in PA, there is no limit on shells in the magazine for deer. Don't know about Illinois.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In NC, the only time you are required to have a plug is when hunting migratory birds. Maybe waterfowl, but since I don't hunt waterfowl, I've never checked it. In fact, they may be considered migratory. I never take the plug out of any of my guns so this is a non-issue with me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Only birds covered by Federal migratory laws require the plug. And yes, a warden CAN come and check on private property without a warrant. Any other time is a non-issue. Just remember safety - if you're used to only loading 2 or 3, remember to double check if you start loading more........

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

jeepthing07 wrote:
I just bought my first shotgun a Winchester 1300. And i just shoot with a friend at his place for fun on the weekends no real hunting besides the occasional bird (nothing illegal). Can i remove the magazine plug from my gun to put more shells in it? I live in Illinois if that matters...

You can't hunt legally that way in Illinois.

It is unlawful to:

use a shotgun capable of holding more
than three shells in the magazine and
chamber combined. Any shotgun having
a capacity of more than three shells must
be fitted with a one-piece plug that is irremovable
without dismantling the shotgun
or otherwise altered to render it
incapable of holding more than three
shells in the magazine and chamber combined.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Take Randy's advice, use the plug. Let me warn you, that if you are out on the back 40 walking along the woods, just burning gunpowder and shooting pine cones for fun, and hunting season is open, you will be given a citation when a game wardon catches you without a plug in you gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here is some information that may help...

From the Digest of Waterfowl
Hunting Regulations
2008-2009
It is unlawful to hunt with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, UNLESS it is
plugged with a one-piece filler which limits its total shell capacity to three and which is incapable
of removal without disassembling the gun. This does not apply during Conservation
Order light goose seasons (snow/blue and Ross’ geese) that occur after Canada goose season
has closed. (see page 10).

From the
Illinois Digest of
Hunting and Trapping Regulations
2008 – 2009
Legal Firearms
 Shotguns, loaded with slugs only, of not
larger than 10 nor smaller than 20 gauge, not
capable of firing more than 3 consecutive
slugs.

http://www.dnr.state.il.us/publications/pdf/00000585.pdf
http://www.dnr.state.il.us/publications/pdf/00000582.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:13 pm 
Utility Grade

Zac Crawford wrote:
Take Randy's advice, use the plug. Let me warn you, that if you are out on the back 40 walking along the woods, just burning gunpowder and shooting pine cones for fun, and hunting season is open, you will be given a citation when a game wardon catches you without a plug in you gun.

That's exactly the kind of thing i was thinking about. That's all i need... shooting at a old refrigerator and be accused of trying to shoot migratory birds or something stupid. I'm going to leave the plug in the gun trouble usually has a way of finding me.

Thanks for all the replies!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:30 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Migratory has nothing to do with IL regs-- you can get busted for hunting the migratory Illinois rabbit.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:41 pm 
Field Grade

From what I've been told by several people here in Illinois (including a Sheriffs deputy), you have to keep the plug in the gun so that only 3 shells can be loaded (1 in the chamber and 2 in the magazine). The game warden can check your gun at any time you are out shooting, even if you're just taking some target practice. They use some type of gauge that is run up into the magazine to make sure the plug is installed. Better safe and sorry.

Remington 870 Express Magnum 20ga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:15 pm 
Crown Grade

La. in its wisdom also says that be it native game(rabbits,etc.) or migratory the max is 3 shells. I must admit it makes things simple- no more than 3 shells in the gun. Does not matter as to my liking it-it is the law!