It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hunting with 18" cyl barrel?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am interested to find out how many people use their 18" cylinder barrels for hunting. I hunt mainly squirrels and crows, and would go bunny hunting if I could find any, and entertain the thought that it would be fun to take it out hunting sometime to see how it does.

Post subject: Re: hunting with 18" cyl barrel?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you haven't already, you might want to pattern it with your hunting loads so you know what the effective range is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I didn't pattern it yet, but I did shoot off a few loads of 1.25 oz of #5 and at about 30-35 yards the pattern was dense enough to consider for hunting. And I know there would have been more on the pattern board if I was aiming the bead the right way (I was aiming high, so the pattern center probably went over the board.) 7.5 shot would put more pellets downrange too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do most of my hunting with an IC choke so I recon a CYL would work ok. Just keep your shots fairly close, I wouldn't shoot farther than about 20 yds.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I hunted squirrels, quail, dove and shot targets with a 20" cylinder bore barrel many years ago. Couldn't stand the prosperity so I changed to longer barrels and screw chokes :lol: ........ I did shoot a heavy load back in them days too....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:59 pm 
Limited Edition

T-TRAIN wrote:
I am interested to find out how many people use their 18" cylinder barrels for hunting. I hunt mainly squirrels and crows, and would go bunny hunting if I could find any, and entertain the thought that it would be fun to take it out hunting sometime to see how it does.
I rabbit hunt a lot with a brace of Beagles. I use a Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga pump with an 18½" CYL BORE barrel. I shoot 2¾" 7/8oz #7½ loads in it. It's pure poison on bunnies within 30yds.

2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4 Given

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:51 am 
Field Grade

I used to shoot dove with a Rem 870 18" cyl bore. It was a lot of fun on the close shots. I was careful to pick my shots because the patteren seemed to get pretty thin pretty quick. I used fereral 1&1/8 oz #8 or #7.5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:14 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a 22 inch turkey gun that I use quite ofter for upland game or when wading in heavy cover for early ducks. It has screw in chokes and I use the IC most of the time. Sometimes this gun will really ring my ears in the right situation. I was thinking that a 18 inch barrel might even be a little harder on the ears, so some protection might be in order.

Otherwise I don't know why knocking off the occasional cottontail or squirrel would be a big problem. Range as others have said before, will be your biggest problem. You owe it to the prey to make sure you only shoot when you have a killing pattern.

Oh, and be prepared for some really strange looks and negative comments from other hunters. I'm not saying they are right to do so, but, its gonna happen. Kind of like wearing manure covered overshoes to church, if you catch the drift.

good luck,

Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

shotgunnut wrote:
Oh, and be prepared for some really strange looks and negative comments from other hunters. I'm not saying they are right to do so, but, its gonna happen.

But if I practice alot so that I can hit bunnies and crows when shooting from the hip, would they dare laugh at me then? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Naw, before they were just grumpy. After being shown up they get down right mad :lol: .

Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:12 pm 
Utility Grade

I can bust skeet pretty good with my 18.5" barrel on my Mossberg 500. I feel perfectly confident that I could use it quite effectively on the tree rats I normally hunt. Take into account though that my normal squirrel hunting rig is a Stevens single shot .410 from the 30's.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Many times i've been duck hunting, while watching high flying ducks, blowing my call, have had ducks come from behind me and almost give me a heart attack. I could have hit them with a rock if they hadn't scared me so bad.