Shotgun Forum banner

Trap Gun selection(cheap)

3K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  shogan191 
#1 ·
Trap Gun selection. I been away from the Clay Sports for a while former Skeet shooter. I have a local club that does tarp I like to give it a try.I'm not up to date on a good starter Gun. I did not want to go over $500 just to test the waters so I need a good general purpose Gun. I know there a lot of choices so I decided to ask the experts. I sure some are better slated for trap then others. Thanks Jim

#2 ·
The cheapest brand new "dedicated" trap gun I know of is the BPS,,,and they are seven or eight hundred dollarish.

There is a Hunter BPS for sale in our classifieds for $450. Guy says it's glossy and like new. You could add on a cheek pad with the money you save.;)

#4 ·
Check out CDNN. www.cdnninvestments.com
I bought a Charles Daly diamond 3 from them, 599 I think, great gun, Italian built. Search here on SGW we have talked it up a lot. Be aware that CD is gone, no warranty except what CDNN might offer. I don't think you can do any better in your price range, mines been flawless, and looks good to boot! I've put close to 3K rounds through mine, and broke my first 25 straight with it a couple of weeks ago. Add an adjustable recoil pad (I used a Morgan) and a cheek pad if needed to raise the POI. Fit is everything!!

#7 ·
I agree with ricklin in that "fit is everything." Fit (how well the dimensions on a gun's stock fit your particular size and shape.

This is important because stock dimensions affect the position of your head and neck when the gun it mounted, it affects the gun mount itself, and the overall shooting form (gun mount, stance, weight distribution, body posture) you are able to use.

Like everything else, you will shoot better and improve more quickly when you use a good shooting form and gun fit to a great extend determines what each shooter can use.

As far a guns go, there are better advisers than I but a good used, Remington 870, 1187 and particularly, an 1100 would make a good first trap gun as well as offer good resale value when it comes time to trade for a "better" gun.

I would advise against a Charles Daley because they have gone out of business, which will affect resale or trade-in value of that brand. (There are also many better stock or pad adjusters than the Morgan, in my opinion to deal with a longer-than-average neck length.)

As an aside, a good shooting form involves shooting with an upright shooting posture with your head and neck erect and the ability with snug cheek pressure on the comb, to look slightly down onto the rib with your eye centered, horizontally.

Your head should be turned only a little toward the stock and not be tilted over and laid on the comb of the stock.

#9 ·
helodad said:
I did not want to go over $500 just to test the waters so I need a good general purpose Gun.
Seems to me he could "test the waters" with a good "general purpose" gun under $500 without it being labeled a "trap" gun.

#10 ·
Check out the auction sites like GunBroker. You can find dedicated used Trap guns in your price range. Look for an autoloader or pump,and if your lucky ,you may find a single shot break open Trap gun in your price range.

#11 ·
Well actually he wants a tarp gun :D tarps are really easy to hit. I'm just having fun with his typo.

The CD may not be the best bet do to their out of biz status, that said I could have sent mine back, no charge. CD went out of business the same day I ordered the gun. I kinda agonized about that while waiting for the brown truck "o" happiness to hit my dealers shop.
I decided to just give the gun a through inspection when it arrived at my dealers, and then decide. I was so impressed with what my 600 bucks bought, I chose to keep it. I'm glad I did.

I would ask CDNN what their policy is on these guns, I have never heard a discouraging word about CDNN, and they have been around for a good long time. Numrich has parts for the gun. Who knows for how long.

The guns were made by Marocchi in Italy, if you look at Marrochi's site you will see that many of their models look a lot like a CD diamond.

I think the gun is still a great buy, warranty or no. YMMV. I hear good things about the Lanbers as well.

I thought hard about an 1100 for my foray in to trap. I've always owned doubles, the CD is my first O/U. I just like the way a break open gun handles. I also like the fact that others can easily see that the gun is open and thus safe.
I reload, and even with ejectors a break open gun makes it easy to handle your empties. I'm even thinkin of sending my buttstock in to Graco for a Gracoil and an adj. comb. See Rollin, you got me thinkin about getting rid of the cheap Morgan pad. :D Seems a little weird to spend 500 on a 600 dollar gun, but that's how much I like my Diamond 3, it really is a fine piece. Folks that really know shotguns look it over, and are amazed at the 600 dollar price tag. After 3K of trap loads it is still a little stiff, but does open easier than when it was brand new. It's a keeper!

#13 ·
You can find many fixed choke Rem 870 trap guns that are in your price range (and are VERY nice). I suspect they go at a reasonable price because people want interchangeable choke tubes, not fixed.

If you just want as you stated... a general purpose shotgun to try shooting trap ... there are all kinds of pump or auto shotguns that would work very well in your price range. Just find one that fits you! Really, you can shoot trap with just about anything and still do quite well with a little practice.

#15 ·
If you want to just try Trap for a few rounds. Barrow a gun or use your skeet gun. If you want to buy a trap gun. A Browning BT99 would be you best choice. You will not find a better work horse trap gun out there. Even if you didn't like shooting trap you can always sell you BT99.

#17 ·
From what I've seen the H&R Topper is garbage. I've seen at least three of them fail within the first 500 rounds and for a Trap gun that is abysmal. Sure they're cheap, but that's the problem, they're cheap.

The BPS Trap is by far the least expensive and best bet for your budget. They can be had for around $650: http://www.impactguns.com/store/023614255819.html

#19 ·
Rastoff,

How did they "Fail", did all three fail the same way? I am very interested in know more about the failures. From what I have seen at the range and read about here most every brand and type of gun has issues.

I dont have a trap model but I do have a Topper Deluxe Classic in 12 *****. This gun is a sweet little gun that handles very nicely and is a hoot to shoot with mild recoil using target loads. It makes a great poor mans trap gun and makes a great companion to my 1100 premier sporting 12 *****.

#20 ·
One wouldn't fire at all and two had random misfires. These were all relatively new by Trap standards. I don't think all of them were the Trap models, but I don't know for sure.

It's important to note that I'm not quick to discount a product based on my personal experience. Any company can have a failure now and then. It doesn't mean that they are all bad. However, to have three that I've personally seen with this low quality is another matter. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had little to no trouble with them. Still, this is a very high failure rate.

My opinion, and that's all it is, is that the $200 you'll spend on a Topper is a waste of $200. There are much better guns out there for not a lot more money. If you use this gun for Trap, which is what we're talking about, it will fail and you will find yourself looking for another gun. A few hunting trips where you fire less than 25 rounds might not be a problem. Considering that it's normal to shoot 100 rounds or more in one day at Trap, you'll be looking for a new gun in short order if you get one of these. A great "poor man's" Trap gun is a 870 Express. This one will just make you poor.

#21 ·
I've usually noted more than a few older/used Trap guns for sale at very reasonable prices, at gunshops AWAY from where Trap/Skeet shooters congregate.

There were a LOT of trapshoots won, once upon a time, with Winchester & Remington pumpguns, to name but two............................. :mrgreen:

#22 ·
If you're a beginner at trap you may want to consider that an O/U gun is a little easier to handle on the range. No worries about shell catchers, and shells stuck while others are waiting. Oh, I know many have used semi autos for years but for beginners it's a few less things to worry about. Less time spent on mechanics and more time concentrating on shooting. I shot a Remington semi auto for years, hunting, but as soon as I started clay sports I wanted an O/U. It's just a whole lot easier to handle. I'm still not convinced that Lambers, CDs and some others wouldn't be OK for trap. I found an semi auto to be a huge PIA for trap. It would be fine for skeet though as you don't have to worry about hitting people with your ejected shells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.