CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Weaver choke just ain't right!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just a few days after Obama got elected a good friend of mine who's an auctioneer called me up and convinced me to auction off every black people shooter gun I owned (which was about two or three) and all the pawn shop culls I had (which numbered about a couple of dozen). My goodness what a wonderful sale. If you were selling. I felt so rich by the end of the sale I managed to buy exactly one gun to take home, a ratty Model 12 20 gauge with a Weaver choke. I think it cost $300 at that.

After adding a spacer and a pad, sanding off the checkering on the forend that looked exactly like it had been done with a pocket knife, fixing the bolt release, and putting all new screws and springs in the old girl, she now functions 100%,,,and might be pretty in a cobbled up sort of way. But she presents a problem.

The one and only Weaver tube I got with the deal is marked "1/2" and it doesn't work. The gun throws pellets all over the plate at forty yards. Remove the tube and it shoots better as a cylinder bore,,,which I've been doing. But surely all Weaver chokes weren't this bad. Surely not.

Any body else own a Weaver choke?Does yours work? And I'd love to try out another 20 gauge Weaver tube. Something just ain't right with mine.;)

Post subject: Re: My Weaver choke just ain't right!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:50 am 
Crown Grade

Just out of curiosity, what is a "black people shooter gun" - I never heard that term. Is it a black gun used to shoot people; a gun black people use or a gun used to shoot black people?

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have three sons who are quite fond of "military" styled firearms, which are generally black and were originally intended to shoot people with. Thence, such guns are "black people shooter guns". However, it sounds bad, and I suppose if I were ever to run for office the Republicans and Democrats alike would hang me out to dry for using the term.

I have since almost entirely replenished my pawn shop specials (only the culls were thinned anyway), and I have to admit I missed my Bushmaster so much we recently bought another one,,,at nearly half the price of the one I sold. And last night some kid brought over a rusted togather Traditions .50 caliber black powder rifle finished in Realtree camo. That would make one black people shooter gun and one black powder camo deer shooter gun in inventory.;)

(Kroil is wonderful stuff. There may yet be life left in the poor abused and neglected Traditions black powder camo deer shooter
gun,,,which appears to have a chrome plated bore and action parts. If I can only get the breech plug out!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:27 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

I've made replacement Weaver choke tubes that fit better, last longer (being made of choke steel) and pattern like shooters expect, as long as the body was installed properly by someone with talent.

I have a few spare tubes in 12 ga. and spare bodies to use for checking tube fit in all gauges.

Kirby
kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com

Article 3 pictures improper or dangerous choke installations, article 1 has explanatory illustrations, and article 2 has info. about bore/forcing cone improvements/limitations.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SuperXOne wrote:
I have three sons who are quite fond of "military" styled firearms, which are generally black and were originally intended to shoot people with. Thence, such guns are "black people shooter guns". However, it sounds bad, and I suppose if I were ever to run for office the Republicans and Democrats alike would hang me out to dry for using the term.

Indeed, it does sound "bad" and I suggest you refrain from using that terminology in the future to prevent a serious misunderstanding of what you are talking about. Calling it a "Self-defense" or "home defense" gun would be much more clearly understood.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Counselor, Kirby has the chokes. Try a few of them until you get the pattern you want. I suggest the IM for all-around use with Weaver .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

SuperXOne, you have breached the parameters of political correctness with your offensive terminology. Suggest you consider using "people shooter black gun" in the future. :wink:

Unfortunately, Kirby has 12 gauge tubes in stock, but your gun is a 20. Maybe he can make one for you at a reasonable price.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:36 am 
Presentation Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
... black people shooter ...

Any body else own a Weaver choke?Does yours work? And I'd love to try out another 20 gauge Weaver tube. Something just ain't right with mine.;)

You can buy some here for $40---
http://www.corsonsbarrels.com
---a cheap way to tell if there's a serious problem. I have one a 20 gauge Model 12 Skeet gun and it works fine.

BTW, suggest adding a comma so people won't think hyphen (i.e. "black, people shooter" vs. "black-people shooter")!! :lol: