CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Remington 870 Home Defender w/Loose Trigger Group
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:55 pm 
Field Grade

Just picked up a new 870 #25077 18" 7 shot 12 ga Home Defender and notice that the plastic trigger assembly moves slightly (enough to be seen) in the receiver. My older model that is all metal doesn't have any freeplay. Is this normal with the new guns? Can the trigger assembly be snugged up or should I contact Remington? The gun is awesome but I haven't even shot it and can only imagine that it will become worse. And, no, I have not field stripped it yet either.

Post subject: re: New Remington 870 Home Defender w/Loose Trigger Group
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:32 am 
Crown Grade

no that is not normal. I would contact Remington..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:19 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Banshee. Any recommended contact at Remington? Do you get better results with email or the phone?

The movement is not really noticable but it is there. I just wonder how any synthetic could be a tight as steel. It appears that the aft receiver pin holding the group is the culprit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I've never emailed Remington, so I couldn't tell you which would be better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Telephone. Be sure and ask for a name if they don't volunteer it. I have had pretty good response from Rem customer service thru the years. I have had pretty bad results with email period. If you have a hotmail or yahoo mail account, a lot of spam filters will block it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:09 pm 
Utility Grade

I recently bought the same shotgun and my trigger group has a very small amount of lateral movement but it takes some effort to get the housing to move.

I checked it with a feeler gauge and it looks like about .009 of movement. I don't see that as any big deal considering the plastic material. Even an injection molding process will have some small amount of size differences. Metal pieces would be finished to higher tolerances.

Whether or not the fit will become looser due to use is another matter.

If you do hear back from Remington, please post it here. Think it would be interesting to see what they say.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:36 pm 
Field Grade

Remington is closed until next Monday. I sent them an email today so it will be interesting to see their response. Its expensive to return a gun back to the manufacturer so hopefully that won't happen. And it is a pain as UPS is the only carrier that will accept a firearm (for now) and you must take them directly to a UPS distribution center, not a local Mom & Pop mail forwarding store.

By chance, have you considered adding an ATI collaspable 6-position stock to your 870HD? Mossberg offers them from the factory on their 500.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:22 pm 
Field Grade

George S:

I called Remington and reported my loose trigger assembly issue. Customer Service referred me to Parts who in turn sent me a complete new assembly. Now I have a spare and there were no questions asked.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:23 pm 
Crown Grade

did it fix the problem??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:00 pm 
Field Grade

The new assembly Remington sent was a metal rather than plastic composite. It has a gloss blue finish too. I haven't installed it yet but when I do I'll let you know how it compares.

Post subject: Re: New Remington 870 Home Defender w/Loose Trigger Group
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Ok man, heres the deal. I have the same exact gun and had the same exact issue. Simply call Remington during business hours, follow the directory to parts, explain that you have a loose trigger assembly and say that a rep said a metal one would most likely fix the issue. Have your guns serial number on hand, as they will ask for it to justify a free part. I went through this same exact process, they sent me a beautiful new metal trigger assembly that fits REALLY well. It has no movement, and u now have a second plastic one you can hang onto for backup or you can sell on e bay. Its a great gun, and Remington is a great company who has excellent customer service. They even sent me 2 new pins.

Side Note: Another great thing you can do to this model is have a gunsmith slightly sand and polish the inside of the chamber on your barrel. This will ensure the gun doesn't have any FTE (failure to extract) issues. Sometimes cheaper ammo like Winchester or Federal rounds will FTE in 870's. It is a VERY quick and easy fix so that you can shoot ANY cheap ammo in the future. I LOVE my 870. Wouldn't trade it for Mossberg, Winchester, or anything similar.