CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stock Fitter in KY or TN?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My wife has settled on the shotgun that she would like to have, and I am really wanting to get this one right. She is only 5'2" on a good day, and will have to have a youth model. The problem is that she also has some bulging discs in her neck and muzzle flip really hurts her neck. Straight back recoil is fine, she shot my BPS 12 ga that doesn't fit her at all and liked it because the muzzle didn't jump (she was using STS Nitro Sporting clays too). As a matter of fact, she liked my 12 ga so much that she has been shopping around online for a BPS micro. I love it when she is the one shopping for guns!

I know when we get the gun we will still need to do some mods to it. Anyone know of a good stock fitter in KY or TN? I can't wait for her to have a gun that really fits. She loves to shoot, and I would love to have her out there shooting with me.

Post subject: Re: Stock Fitter in KY or TN?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:34 pm 
Crown Grade

If she is having neck problems, a pump won't be the answer. Get her an auto, the heaviest one she can handle. Then, if it's a 12 gauge, load or buy 7/8's ounce light loads. If it's a 20, load some light loads for it. IMHO, the Remington 1100's are the softest shooting. I have a 90 lb. daughter who shot my 391 20gauge because it was lighter, but when she tried the 1100 20, a pound heavier, it was obvious that she wasn't getting smacked around as much.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I appreciate your response, but I think that my wife and your daughter have two different issues concerning recoil. Back and into the shoulder does not bother her in the least. What bothers her is when the gun barrel rises tilting her head back. She has shot semi autos, pumps, and single shots and the ones that had excess muzzle rise of whichever kind hurt her regardless of gauge. Even though my BPS 12 ga was way too long for her and recoiled fairly stiff into her shoulder, the barrel didn't come up and hurt her neck.

But if the BPS micro still doesn't work, I guess the three boys will have a nice gun to use when they are big enough and we'll just have to shop for momma another one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:11 am 
Tournament Grade

I don't know where you're at in KY but Tom (Shooters Solutions) did some great work for me and several of my clubmembers when he and Jean were in Florida. Their home base is western VA, close to the TN/KY borders.
http://www.shooterssolutionsllc.com/
I know a properly fit gun made a world of difference for my scores.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:57 am 
Presentation Grade

The Country Gentleman did my wifes stock on her Franchi O/U and it worked out great. We shortened the LOP, installed a soft recoil pad, changed the pitch a little and had an adjustable comb installed. Get the gun to fit right and recoil and muzzle rise shoulnd't be much of a problem. Ladies are built different and it takes a bit more effort to get a properly fitting gun for them but the results are usually worth it. Good luck. note, a few degrees of negative pitch change seemed to have the biggest effect on muzzle rise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:18 am 
Tournament Grade

I don't want to get into the gun type debate, but Mike Sherman will be in KY one more time this year according to his schedule.

He has a traveling gun shop and does fittings.

He will be at the Bluegrass Open 09/29/2011 - 10/01/2011 in Wilmore KY (near Lexington) doing fittings and stock work onsite. His number is (704) 798-5150 and you can search for his company "PMS Firearms" on the internet and find his site.