It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barrel lifespan?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:30 am 
Field Grade

What is the lifespan of a shotgun barrel? Why would someone purchase additional barrels? Do people shoot that often to warrant the purchase of barrels? I guess I don't shoot that often.

Post subject: Re: Barrel lifespan?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:45 am 
Diamond Grade

ddtkid wrote:
What is the lifespan of a shotgun barrel? Why would someone purchase additional barrels? Do people shoot that often to warrant the purchase of barrels? I guess I don't shoot that often.

If its of quality build and materials, and you take care of it, it will likely out live you.

You should see the number of rounds some of these guys have through their "B" guns.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:47 am 
Field Grade

I have a spare barrel because my Wingmasters have fixed choke barrels so my extra barrel takes screw in chokes. You can't shoot out a shotgun barrel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:47 am 
Diamond Grade

As for additional barrels, there's a few reasons... Maybe they prefer fixed chokes, or sometimes the barrels are different gauges, or maybe they like different lengths for different uses. All comes down to preference I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

shooters are not buying new bbls cuz the old ones are worn out. Different chokes , lengths , etc for different games and different birds.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've never heard of a shotgun barrel wearing out. Through failure to care for them they may get pitted and rusted out, but that's not honest wear. You might shoot the choke out of one by pushing steel through a full choke, but again that's missuse not normal wear. If you shoot safe loads, clean the barrel regularly and store it properly, it will last many lifetimes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

As far as I know, a shotgun barrel will last a lifetime if properly maintained.

Before choke tubes were invented, people had to purchase multiple barrels if they wanted different constrictions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:01 pm 
Field Grade

That would make sense on preference. Thanks for the replies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rental guns in Argentine dove country routinely go over 1,000,000 rounds without any problems with the barrels. Herb Parsons the famous Winchester exhibition shooter once commented near the end of his career that the barrel on his custom Model 12 was getting thin. God only knows how many rounds Herb had put through his gun. I don't think you need to worry about wearing out your barrel unless you totally neglect it and it becomes rusty inside.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

When my Mossberg 500 was my only shotgun, I purchased 2 additional barrels for it. It came with a 28" vent rib barrel with screw in chokes. This barrel was fine for shooting clays and pass shooting doves but was a hindrance for hunting rabbits and ruffed grouse in heavy cover. So I purchased a 20" vent rib barrel with screw in chokes. This barrel was perfect for the times when I was hunting in the thick brush. Back then, I lived in a shotgun only state for deer hunting. I wanted to use the new sabot slugs which were recommended for a rifled barrel. So I bought a 24" rifled barrel to deer hunt with. So to answer your original question, in my case I purchased additional barrels to increase the utility of my lone shotgun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
Rental guns in Argentine dove country routinely go over 1,000,000 rounds without any problems with the barrels.

Holy crap... were the barrels the only original part left??? lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nope, the guns are still serviceable and sold as used at that point; Benelli Montefeltros and Beretta SP-2s at the particular outfitter that I use.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Several people lifetimes if cared for properly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

You will wear out your personal "Pants Pistol" long before you wear out a shotgun barrel.

gold40

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
Nope, the guns are still serviceable and sold as used at that point; Benelli Montefeltros and Beretta SP-2s at the particular outfitter that I use.

lol imagine asking a seller approx how many rounds its seen fired and getting the answer "ohhh around 1 million I'd suppose" lmfao...

Post subject: Barrel lifespan?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The reason, as it was explained to me, was that with taxes and import fees etc, etc, the cost of a $2000 shotgun in the US, is more than $10,000 in Argentina. That's why they try to get extra mileage out of them. At 1500 to 2000 rounds per day, it doesn't take all that long.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by casonet on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:31 pm 
Field Grade

Well, my LC Smith was built in 1898, soo....

All kidding aside, it's because different barrels serve different purposes. (Length, vent. rib vs. sights for slugs, etc. etc..)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
At 1500 to 2000 rounds per day, it doesn't take all that long.

I really hope the people renting them are bad shots... that's a LOT of dead doves, lol... FWIW, if reincarnation exists and I come back as a dove as some sort of sick revenge... I am steering clear of Argentina...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well, I have an old model 97 and a Iver johnson champion that are around 100 years old. Both are in good shape barrel wise. Now I doubt they were shot as much as some completion guns but they have been shot quite a bit. Lets just say if you wear out a barrel the replacement cost will probably be no more than 1% of the cost of the shells you used.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

sorry double post