It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: They're never as pretty the next morning as the night before
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The other day I started a thread with a lead-in that said "I scored last night! She's beautiful, 30-something ... " I could have added, "and she's cheap!"

Well, yesterday morning I got a chance to see her in the daylight ...

... that old broad has been around the block a few times! :(

She is a Beretta A301L (the L is for Lusso, or Deluxe). Here are her pictures http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =281827992

Of course I immediately took care of the nose job she needed by putting a different barrel on her, but she is still showing her age, and signs of having led a rough life.

I guess the pics were taken by a good photographer - I don't think he actually hid any major flaws, but he sure knew how to show her off to best advantage! The stock is darker than I thought, and the grain doesn't show up as dramatically. There are no big defects, but a lot of little handling marks on the wood and receiver. There is a little freckling of rust. The "engraving" is OK, it just doesn't seem as pretty in "the flesh" as in the pics.

Oh, well, it is still worth what I paid for it, and it was the only opportunity I've ever had (might be the only chance I'll ever get) to add an "L" model to my collection, so I'm still glad I bought it. I'm just not as much in love with her the next morning as I thought I was the night before. Ain't that always how it works out ... :(

Post subject: Re: They're never as pretty the next morning as the night be
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for the follow-up post Seamus. Good humor. I hope she will serve you well!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, I don't know...she may not be a beauty queen but I think I would at least let her spend the weekend!! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:30 pm 
Crown Grade

when you get a chance post some realistic pics of your new girl

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is a unique gun. I'll bet they didn't make many of those.

I've noticed that there are more "buyer's remorse" comments about low priced guns than any other. I rarely hear someone who bought an expensive gun, more than $3K, put up a post like this. It's almost always the guns that cost <$500 that are the most misrepresented. Why do you suppose that is?

Still, it's a nice looking gun. I hope it can be restored to its former beauty.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes I was also recently the victim of "expert photography" on gunbroker.com. I have bought numerous guns on gb and never had a problem until my last attempt at purchasing a Drilling. Photos were taken to strategically hide, 2 dented barrels, cracked forearm, and 3 in gouge in the stock. Thankfully the seller took return of the gun, but I was out my shipping $$. Buyer beware. Just another reason to never buy a used gun from an auction that doesn't give you an inspection period.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine