CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Delay On Gun At Wal-Mart
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:42 pm 
Field Grade

I have a question why would a delay be put on my purchace of my shotgun from wal-mart i ma u.s. citizen and all that good stuff no felonys or misterminors and they dont tell you why there was a delay what else could it be please inform me on this subject if it has ever happen to you

Post subject: Re: Delay On Gun At Wal-Mart
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:45 pm 
Limited Edition

My dad used to get delayed every time. Then they redid the system and he has yet to be delayed. A couple of gun stores said that the delay time would never get shorter but there was a chance it would get longer. They also said that if alot of people that have the same name as you are felons it could take a while.

By the way what kind of gun did you get?

Honolulu, its got everything. Sand for the children,sun for the wife,sharks for the wife's mother.
Ken Dodd.

Last edited by kildux on Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:45 pm 
It's because of the long line of career felons with the surname "MaverickStar". Read the NICS law for more info.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you have a very common name you'll generally get delayed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:59 pm 
Field Grade

I bought the remington 11-87 12 ga. primier model beutifull gun how long did your dad usually get delayed my walmart is new to my town about year maybe the dont have the new system yet :? My name is dannie that is very common

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:03 pm 
Limited Edition

He usually got delayed about a full day. Its a really long day when you're chomping at the bit for that new gun. I thought the new system thing included the whole United States but I guess not.

Honolulu, its got everything. Sand for the children,sun for the wife,sharks for the wife's mother.
Ken Dodd.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yeah, you should have no problem in North Carolina. I bought four guns while I lived in Apex and I got them right away after the NICS check.

There is no such thing as hard targets, only targets above our ability. -- Jimmy Muller

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:47 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

They happen still from time. Even as a dealer they cant tell us why they were delayed so we have nothing to pass on. I have had them come back in a few min or take the whole 3 days it just depends.

Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

jlptexashunter wrote:
If you have a very common name you'll generally get delayed.

This is true and it doesn't matter where you buy it; dealer or state.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:07 pm 
Field Grade

Maybe misterminors got you on some other law enforcement list.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't even have a common name and I get delayed every time.

I was told that I someone with a name even close to yours is a felon, you'll get delayed.

I do EVERY time.

In fact, I just picked up a gun today that was delayed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I buy guns all over. I have had to wait the full time period when I bought from an independent dealer with a store front. I bought one from Wally world and the reply came back as "quetionable" but "complete the sale" I left with the gun in hand I still do not understand that one. I bought from Big 5 no delay and I bought from K-mart no delay. To get a down to earth answer you can write the ATF and they will give you something in writing. I have never tried it but if and when you do let me know what the results were. :)

GO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:03 am 
Field Grade

My wife works in the sporting goods at Wal-Mart and she said it can be a lot of different reasons but she did say that sometimes the NICS will just randomly pick and delay the purchase to anyone. Even one of her Managers just got delayed last week. The difference between being delayed at Wal-mart, and being delayed at a gun shop is that the gun shop will still sell the gun before the verdict comes back, but Wal-mart won't (at least that was how she understood it.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:55 am 
Utility Grade

The delay at Wal-Mart may have something to do with the cashier. They must enter everything exactly right. For example entering St. instead of Street is asking for it. These are things most of us know but they may not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:21 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

At least here the NICS checks are all called in over the phone and they never ask the address of the person buying the gun. Only location they ask is place of birth, current state of residence, and country of residence
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:54 pm 
Dick's was very specific about the address. Maybe they are keeping a data base for the CIA or ATF? Just kidding!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:35 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Here in Nebraska if you have a valid Handgun buyers permit, and they are renewable every 3 years for a Fiver, you can get your gun as soon as you fill out the yellow sheet! It takes 5 days to get the Handgun buyers permit so here in Nebraska that satisfies the Federal ATF requirement of the 3 day waiting period. You don't have to call anything in at all IF you have a valid handgun buyers permit. I'd suggest to anyone in NE to get one if you don't. I don't think very many if ANY other states have this situation though!

BP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Here in Ar. if you have your permit to carry a concealed weapon you can get your gun as soon as you fill out the papers. Not many people have permits though.

Ken Dodd.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:22 pm 
I don't think the Wal Marts here in CA even sell firearms anymore in the SF Bay Area, if not the whole state. I just bought a new shotgun online - shipped FFL to FFL. The waiting period was 10 days after the shotgun arrived at the receiving FFL's location before I could take it home .. ! . Then too, you must buy a 'California approved' trigger lock in order to take receipt of the gun. That's life here in the Golden State .. :roll:
mxwll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

this might upset some, but a supervisor in our state TICS (like NICS, but state run) told me confidentially that a certain percentage of applications to purchase are automatically denied, knowing almost all denied apps will be appealed and overturned. at the end of the year the feds can say "X numbers of firearms were kept out of the hands of felons". a government employee's dream. justifying their existence and ensuring their job stability! also, if they get really overrun with applications, they start denying or delaying them, as a routine procedure. our tax dollars at work!!!! :roll: