Shotgun Forum banner

Benelli SBEII + Kent

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  wolf2013 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I just opened an account, hopping to get more information on the following issue. I have posted this in local hunting forum as well.

I am just wandering if you have used Kent in your SBEII. I was getting very frustrated as shells were ejecting magazine by itself. I could not figure what I was doing wrong and could not narrow down the issue. After coming back from the last hunting trip I have started investigating the gun, nothing obvious. However I have noticed that Kent shells have rounded rims vs other brands are just flat.

[/QUOTE]

An update:
I have contacted Benelli warranty in Canada, they replied back saying that they have not heard about the issue. I have inspected the gun and loaded with empty shells at home - so far I was not able to reproduce the issue but it happens with live shells when I am in the field. I have also tried a single live shell when hunting and it is the same issue. The gun is brand new, less than 200 rounds

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not familiar with the shell stop on a SBE but I would think yours is either out of spec or there's a burr or metal shaving keeping it from extending out the specced distance, thus letting the rounded edge of the Kent shells slip buy once in a while. Just my two cents worth.

Jeff

#6 ·
Thank you all again for taking time and responding to my post. I have performed the test as deadapair suggested above. I was able to reproduce the issue with Kent 3" kent fast steel. I did not even hit hard, more like tap-tap-tap and shell pop right out while Winchester and federal remained in the magazine in the following tests.

#7 ·
Definitely a problem of some sort with the shell stop mechanism, maybe someone on the "Love my Benelli" thread, that is familiar with the mechanism, could shed some light on your problem if you could post some good close up pics of it there.

After that I'm afraid your choices might be send it in to Benelli, have a gunsmith look at it, or contact the store where you bought it to see if there's anything they are willing to do for you.

Good luck

Jeff

#8 ·
Thank you Jeff,

I have contacted stoeger canada - Benelli warranty services. I am just curious what they are going to suggest or offer. Most likely I will stop using Kent vs sending gun for the warranty work. Other than the gun is great, I really like and enjoy the reduced recoil.

#9 ·
I just looked at my SBE2 and the edge of the shell stop is definitely rounded. It is not sharp by any means. I'm going to dig through my ammo supply to try to find some Kent. I would not be surprised by results similar to yours.

#10 ·
Okay, just did it. No problem, the Kents stay put in the mag. Upon close inspection I was surprised to see a pretty good amount of engagement. Jeff was probably onto something when he commented about your shell stop being impeded by something, or possibly misshaped/damaged. Good luck.

#11 ·
Yes, sending guns in is a precarious operation it often seems, I may just do the same thing if I didn't have a spare gun to use. Otherwise, I hate when things don't work the way they should and I would have to have them make it right, especially on a high end autoloader like the SBEII. Wishing you the best of luck this season.

Jeff

#13 ·
Thank you all, I have cleaned the gun. I will be out and hunting in about two weeks again. I will check... I have also noticed something new which I did not pay attention before, When I push on the side shell stop mechanism ( on the side toward to the trigger ), the shell stopping edge moves and provides more back support for the shell which is the magazine. Now I am not sure if it is supposed to be like that or not. I will see if I can manage to make a video or pictures.

I appreciate all replies and suggestions

#18 ·
I would pull the shell stop and clean it thoroughly. Inspect it for burrs and maybe pull the spring slightly to put more tension on the shell stop.

I had a buddy's M2 do the same thing every time he sat it down in the blind. I pulled it, cleaned it, stoned it and it never failed again.

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone

#19 ·
Thank you Jeff, the first season was good, mostly ducks. Planning to hunt geese the next season.

Darryle, thank you for the feedback. Exactly the same issue and scenario. The gun is with Benelli Service person at the moment. It is good to know that there is a remedy to the issue.

#20 ·
I have a Benelli SBE I and it will not shoot Kent ammo worth a damn. I belong to a steel only club and tried to use the club Kent ammo (#7's) for trap and skeet. It jammed, ripped the brass rim of of cartridges and generally didn't work. The other Beretta 391's and A400's all seem to work fine.

Just my experience

#21 ·
Sorry it took longer than I expected. I did not hear from Stoeger Canada after they accepted my gun. I sent with the tracking number and signature required. I did not hear from them at all however I received a delivery notification on my door from UPS. I called UPS and asked them to hold for pickup.

There is a note for me in the gun case:

Gunsmith adjusted magazine catch. Gun was tested with 10 rounds of 3" KENT FAST STEEL BB and 25 rounds of KENT FAST STEEL 3 1/2"" BBB and no issues.

I will try to test by the end of this month and see how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.