Shotgun Forum banner

Proper way to shoulder a shotgun??

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Davetrain 
#1 ·
This is probably pretty basic, but I have a new Franchi Alcione OU and I seem to shoot better when I position the butt of the shotgun high on my shoulder. So in essence, I have about the lower 1/3 of the buttstock touching my shoulder.

I'm not having any adverse effects from doing that as far as sore shoulder, but I'm wondering if this is normal? If I don't put it up high, I'm shooting over the top of the clays. My Browning BPS isn't like that.

Does anyone else have that issue? By the way, I'm about average size, at 5'9".

#2 ·
It sounds like you need a gun with more drop at the heel and toe but still need a high comb. A Monte Carlo type stock would probably fit you well. Or, many people just add an adjustable buttplate which can be lowered on the end of the stock. This will keep the comb relatively high while at the same time lowering the recoil pad for better (fuller) contact with your shoulder.

#4 ·
According to the Franchi cataloge, the drop at the comb and heel are 1-1/2" and 2-1/2" respectfully. This seems to be close to what the other gun companies are using. You need to get some instruction from a knowligable instructor to see how you are shouldering the gun and from there you can see about changes to the stock. V/R TonyG

#8 ·
I have exactly the same problem with a alcione T. that I just bought, the only way I can get a level sight plane looking down the barrell is to shoulder only about the bottem 1/3 of the stock , if I pull it up quickly and just shoot, I always shooting above everything, I bought an adjustable pad for it but haven't put it on yet because I don't think I will adjust far enough to fix the problem, I have a Benelli Sport II that shoulders just perfect, it truely just shoots where you look, I bought the Franchi I guess to please the people at the skeet range who don't like the auto's, but at this point I wish I hadn't, IMO it isn't near the gun the Benelli is and I really can't see where it's that different, this is one time when you can have one gun too many.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.