ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Results of gun care product evaluation
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Incredibly helpful; thank you for the hard work you put into this!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:23 pm 
Limited Edition

Wow, that is amazing that you took the time to do such a great "evaluation". You should consider contacting some of the manufacturers that fared well on your evaluation and share the results!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:37 am 
Tournament Grade

Standing ovation, that's some awesome work! Time for me to try Frog Lube and One Shot!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:44 am 
Crown Grade

diyguy wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

One shot is made to lube brass cases for resizing; however it is made of some nasty carcinogenic stuff I won't use

You are confusing the reloading product with the gun care product. They offer 2 diff. Products. This one however does (as I stated) come with cautions and warnings. Read the final thoughts section.

Simple way to be sure - request the MSDS for each product

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I really can't add to whats already been said, but Thank you!!

NRA Life/Endowment Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Ive edited the first post to include this note.

I am In no way affiliated with or in any way attached to any of the products or companies of the products I evaluated. I am in no way compensated by any product brand name or manufacturer as a result of this evaluation. No company asked me to conduct this evaluation. All products were purchased by me and none were sent or gifted to me for this evaluation.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:52 am 
Diamond Grade

I's like to suggest that the moderators make this a "sticky".

Do I hear a second?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
I's like to suggest that the moderators make this a "sticky".

Do I hear a second?
I'll second that motion. {hs#

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:52 am 
Field Grade

Great experiment and thanks for your time.

Just a thought on testing, it would be good to test these products in extreme hot and cold weather conditions now in regards to lube characteristics. We know that these products behave differently at different temps and maybe altitudes.

I'm a fan of Frog Lube and I've recommended it here in the past. I also know that it behaves different in extreme cold and it's really important to remove as much excess as you can or you may experience cycling issues. I do think there are better lubes for extreme cold.

Allen

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks MUCH for the helpful information. Really appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DIYguy, Great post as always.

You must have spent a fortune on all those products!

DIYwife must be a saint! Somehow I am thinking this wasn't the first time her dinning room has been filled with one of your "projects'! :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Allen Hallada wrote:
Just a thought on testing, it would be good to test these products in extreme hot and cold weather conditions now in regards to lube characteristics. We know that these products behave differently at different temps and maybe altitudes.

Allen

It wasnt a test. I suck at tests. This was just an evaluation in a side by side nature. I can say that based on this evaluation and the fact that all liquid and visible lube was (and should be removed) leaving no residue I don’t think cold or hot would impact the results. As I stated in the text, I removed the product to the point where common sense would say I removed too much and it was at that point that the lowest levels of friction were achieved. Certainly if excess product were left on the metal there is a potential of freezing up but that is not the fault of the product, that is the fault of the user not following the instructions. I contend that using the proper amount (the least possible) would not be impacted by cold temps.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:26 am 
Tournament Grade

dcblvsh2 wrote:
DIYguy, Great post as always.

You must have spent a fortune on all those products!

DIYwife must be a saint! Somehow I am thinking this wasn't the first time her dinning room has been filled with one of your "projects'! :lol:

My wife is both the luckiest woman on the planet as well as the most tolerant. In this evaluation, only the fingerprint board made it into the house. All other tasks were conducted in my shop or outdoors.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hense the name, "DIYGUY"

Well done and awsome! {hs# Always been a fan of WD-40. Now am off to find some Frog lub. Thanks for going to all the trouble for us shotgun guys. 8)

bp

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Holy scientific method batman!
Amazing!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thank you for your work.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Thank you, it was exceptionally generous of you to take the time and effort.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is really the true spirit of what SGW is about. Good info with hopefully unbiased views.
I applaud your time and work. I have to admit i was not able to review all of your data -because there was a lot! However i will try and get through it.
This should be a sticky somewhere...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DIYGUY,
Quote:
NOTE** I recognize this evaluation may have deficiencies. My lubrication evaluation was conducted at 70 degrees F so it is unknown if the results would be the same if evaluated at 0 or 120 degrees F. Also I am not evaluating longevity. I cycled each product 8 times to arrive at an average force and understand that a product that performed well during 8 cycles may fail long term where a product that performed slightly worse may in fact have better long term lubrication. With that said, equity was my first priority. Every product and action was conducted the same way to ensure each product was getting a fair evaluation.

I thought a lot last night about the quoted part above that I bolded. I realize that this evaluating process is extremely time consuming and I don't mean to criticize. However, I would like to draw attention to your words above as a means of cautioning others from jumping to conclusions which may not be valid.

For example, if they concluded that the product that performed best (or near the top) on the lubrication evaluation would be better than most, if not all, products that performed a little worse, that might not be a valid conclusion. The reason it may not be valid is because of what you said above.

Eight cycles at a fairly slow pace may not be at all typical of a person who is going to fire his Slammer Whammer Jammamatic 100 to 200 times with dirty shells on a hot day with no cleanings in between.

Also, as you mentioned, it takes a considerably higher force to overcome static friction between two surfaces (which you evaluated) than it does dynamic friction (which you did not evaluate). Therefore, while your lubrication evaluation was informative, I would caution others to not view it as the final word on the subject of firearms lubrication with regard to actual firearm usage. It's quite possible that some product which finished far down the list may hold up better under the adverse conditions and repeated firings encountered in typical target shotgunning usage.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

You are correct Ulysses. As it was I cycled 46 products 8 times (368 cycles) and then the initial 8 to establish the dry sled (376 total) and then a half dozen cleaning cycles between each product (645 cycles) and then conducted the evaluation a 2nd time totaling 1,304 cycles. Trying to evaluate each product to failure would mean I would still be working on this task and may be for months. That was the reason for the disclaimer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next