ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Results of gun care product evaluation
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

aya16 wrote:
Hell Im still getting past the fact WD-40 is bad for our guns, thanks DIY great stuff. Now come on tell the truth, you had some fun doing it right?
Mike

Yes, the joy is in the doing but Im not so sure WD 40 (regular version) is bad for guns. If it were, the word would have spread long ago. Its just not "as good" as some other products but I dont think that makes it "bad"

Just like a great free pizza does not make a good free pizza into a bad free pizza. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Its been 288 hours (12 days) since Board #1 was placed outside and 264 hours (11 days) for Board #2 so I thought I would update. There has been some rain this week but lots of sun and wind and the trees are spreading all manner of pollen and debris in the air. The Sun’s UV rays have all but made the sharpie marker unreadable but I have a map and can still make it out enough to see.

Here are the two boards where they are residing on the patio.

And here are the close-ups of the samples.

As for Board #3 in my house. Its been 240 hours (10 days) and as expected, the indoor protection in a constant environment has them all still in fine shape.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Im in kindergarden when it comes to this stuff, maybe you can put a small cup of WD-40 out with a couple shotgun "O" rings soaking in it. I always thought WD-40 eats rubber and plastic.. Thanks again Mike

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:08 am 
Limited Edition

That is a very impressive post and most informative. Thank you for taking the time to put this all together.

I'm surprised how well Frog Lube performed. I'm gonna have to give it a try and see how it works. I've got a blacktail deer hunt set for November in southeast Alaska (Prince of Wales Island) and I'm looking for a lubricant which will prevent rust on a blued rifle. Frog Lube might be just the ticket! Thanks again for putting this all together.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:49 pm 
Limited Edition

DYIGUY,
Just picked up a can of Hornady One Shot thanks to you. It would have been a product that I would not of thought of since I was a staunch Breakfree CLP user. I chose the One Shot because it stood up to the test of both corrosion and lubricity pretty much as well as Frog Lube did but it was cheaper and easier on the wallet. Thanks again for I will be applying it to all my firearms.
Happy Shooting,
Pasquale

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:13 am 
Field Grade

thank you for this evaluation...been on the hunt for an all around clp product for my firearms and wasnt that convinced with the marketing hype of froglube....until now...

may i ask permission to post a link of your evaluation to our local firearms forum in our country...:)

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:57 am 
Crown Grade

Question. Board 1 12 days old all 3 products have no rust.

Board 2 11 days old I of 3 products have rust.
Were did the rust go in one day from board 2 to board 1 or was this a miss print.
I use Hornady One Shot on all my Auto loader and love how it works. Nice dry lube.
WD40 spam looks like a big improvement over the stand WD-40 that I use to clean my barrels.
I have not tried Frog Lube. I can see now there is no reason not to use it beside the price.
But how can you put a price on protecting your gun from rust.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:23 am 
Tournament Grade

Kraiza wrote:
Question. Board 1 12 days old all 3 products have no rust.

Board 2 11 days old I of 3 products have rust.
Were did the rust go in one day from board 2 to board 1 or was this a miss print.

Two different boards, two different evaluations. Im not sure I understand the question. You would need to read the entire post from the begining to understand the results.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:16 am 
Crown Grade

Looks like there's going to be a run on Frog lube. :D

I was a bit surprised that Eezox did not fair better than it did, especially in the corrosion portion of your evaluation as other corrosion testing I've seen for Eezox has shown it to be at or very near the top. However, those tests did not have nearly the amount of products you had.

Excellent, thank you sir. {hs#

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:27 am 
Diamond Grade

Fortunately, I had already purchased my bottle of Froglube. Until the test, I rated it no better or worse than any of my other lubes. The test was great. It put it on my terms and was done by an individual.
I told some of my fellow shooters about it. I told them to take it for what they wanted and gave them the top 3. Most touted their favorites to out perform anything else. I would have probably been the same before seeing the test. On the user going deer hunting, you may have to re think using the Froglube, due to the scent.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

We have been experiencing torrential rains and flash flooding. When it isn’t raining its very humid. Its certainly been a wet spring. The UV rays have now completely erased the sharpie marker labels on the boards but I know which is which from prior photos. Here is a picture of the two boards with board #1 at 15 days (360 hours) and board #2 at 14 days (336 hours). The top 3 performing products are continuing to protect the steel plates.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:33 pm 
Limited Edition

There's bound to be points of failure for all three contenders. I'm now just curious in what order will they fall? My money is on WD-40 spam being the last brand standing...mainly because I already have and use it due to it's results in different evaluation. I'll just keep using lube for lubrication...thank you, very much.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Diyguy,

Thanks for the updates.

Can you determine which plates appear "the most rusty"? Does that follow the order in which the protection began to fail? HHD

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is certainly the best test available on the subject of firearms corrosion protection. It deserves to show up in a lot of links all over the 'net, for years to come.

diyguy, were you born with Asperger's syndrome? I was (didn't know it until I was 70) and your obsession with detail, and your passion to learn everything possible about your chosen subject, are even more pronounced than mine! {hs#

OK, here is one conclusion I come to after scanning all this data: If you keep your gun dry (or clean and dry it quickly after it gets wet) and store it in a dry environment, it really doesn't matter what you use. Almost anything will work. It is only if you leave your gun outdoors in salt spray for days on end that you need the "best" product.

That agrees with my experience. Some of the products that I have used for years with complete success (Breakfree CLP, Hoppe's #9, 3-in-1, etc) did not come out among the "best", but they work perfectly for me. I keep my guns dry.

I do not mean to downplay the importance of this study - we do need to know what is best - but we don't always need to use the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

High House Drifter wrote:
Diyguy,

Thanks for the updates.

Can you determine which plates appear "the most rusty"? Does that follow the order in which the protection began to fail? HHD

Once they rust they pretty much look alike. At this point the ones that rusted at 24 hours dont look much diff than the ones that lasted until 96 hours.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
diyguy, were you born with Asperger's syndrome? I was (didn't know it until I was 70) and your obsession with detail, and your passion to learn everything possible about your chosen subject, are even more pronounced than mine!

No actually I was diagnosed early on with another disorder. You can learn about it here.

http://www.engineering.com/Videos/Video ... nosed.aspx

Seamus O'Caiside wrote:
OK, here is one conclusion I come to after scanning all this data: If you keep your gun dry (or clean and dry it quickly after it gets wet) and store it in a dry environment, it really doesn't matter what you use. Almost anything will work. It is only if you leave your gun outdoors in salt spray for days on end that you need the "best" product.

That agrees with my experience. Some of the products that I have used for years with complete success (Breakfree CLP, Hoppe's #9, 3-in-1, etc) did not come out among the "best", but they work perfectly for me. I keep my guns dry.

Yes if you look at my final notes from the begining of all this you will see I stated exactly that. Liberal anti gun dems and neglect are the worst things that can happen to a gun.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Its been 20 days since I started board #3 which is the indoor board with the (hotdog) fingerprint.

The first (and only) sample so far to exhibit corrosion has appeared. The rust is only in the fingerprint area. The sample plate is the one coated with Eezox.

For all the positive comments about Eezox, it has been a complete disappointment in lubricity and corrosion resistance.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:17 am 
Tournament Grade

Bought some one shot because of this thread today.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:09 am 
Limited Edition

diyguy, thank you for your time and effort!

Wish I could have gotten a bottle of Beretta gun oil to you for your test as that is what I use for both cleaning and storing.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:41 am 
Crown Grade

Man... I'm simply blown away that Eezox is showing rust on that last picture. Everything I've read about it and seen from other tests has it as one of the best. :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next