ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About to buy an A400 W/O kickoff. Seeking advice
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I have the option to buy an A400 excel 30” without kickoff from a buddy. I am a newer shooter but want to make a good investment that will last a while. Any wisdom you can share about it being a non-kickoff gun? Should I wait and get with KO? Have not been able to determine if it can be added on later? Can it?

Any advice have will be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: About to buy an A400 W/O kickoff. Seeking advice
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:28 pm 
Crown Grade

I have the blue smurf gun without the KO- it already weighs over 8#; I also have the 3.5" green Xplor Unico that does have the KO; at 7# even the KO does make a difference even with standard target loads.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

If I were to buy a gun for clays I would not get the kickoff. I wouldn't want to have the gun move more than it has to. I see the relevance for a hunting gun with the kickoff system.

If you buy it make sure to clean it well and adjust the shim(s) for it to fit you the best if needed. Then enjoy busting clays!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:06 am 
Limited Edition

I have an A400 20ga with kick-off, it is very soft shooting and I can't feel the gun moving any more than any other semi auto.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:26 am 
Crown Grade

OP, since you will be buying the gun from a "buddy" you will probably be well served with it "as is". Why not shoot it a good bit and find out how the recoil feels to you?

The KO system is liked by some and disliked by others. In addition and this is strictly personal preference; I don't like the looks of all that additional mass of black plastic on the butt of the gun. However, that is just me.

I suggest you get his gun if it is in top condition, priced right, and never look back. You won't miss what you never had and may in fact prefer not having it after you shoot some. I don't know about having KO added later but I suspect it would be really pricey to do so.

If you wanted to add a recoil reduction stock device after the fact, there are several available that are made to be added on factory configured guns. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:30 am 
Crown Grade

I always get the KO if I can.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:40 am 
Presentation Grade

I originally had an A400(left hand field gun that weighs 6-3/4 #)w/o the kickoff, and really liked it with my 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads for targets. But with heavier loads it was not as much fun(I am a wimp when it comes to recoil). I traded into the same gun with KO, and really enjoy it. With lighter loads, the KO doesn’t move, but with 1-1/8oz, 1300fps+ loads, it makes a world of difference to me. The A400 is a fairly soft recoiling gun. Try shooting your friend’s gun with the loads you intend to use, and see if it suits you. I think that if 1oz or 1-1/8oz loads at 1200fps are OK, then you will have no problems with targets. If it is a hunting gun, then try appropriate hunting loads. And gun fit is very important so make sure it fits with the appropriate stock shims before shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shot both with and without KO before I purchased an A400. I was lucky to shoot with two buddies who each had a A400; one with and one without KO. I preferred without the KO so that is what I purchased.
It truly seems to be a personal preference so try it out first.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You have a relatively heavy gun that is arguably one of the softest shooting available. Why would you need a pogo stick on the butt stock. I’ve shot both and for me the KO is totally unnecessary. I’m not a recoil wuss.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:11 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a a400 xcel 12ga with the kickoff as well as a A391 Urika II with no recoil reduction. Both shoot great for trap for me but I can feel the extra recoil with the A391. Not recoil sensitive but have shoulder problems so needed the kickoff and would buy it again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Four years ago I bought a new A400 WITH the KickOff; primarily to shoot Sporting Clays and Skeet. Been very happy with it, and have fired about 20k rounds. I think the KickOff helps a lot. I also added a barrel weight.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:38 pm 
Field Grade

One way to look at it is buying the gun without k/o gives you more options with the stock. If you don’t like the recoil you can add a recoil reduction system of your choice. Maybe with some other adjustments. If you buy it with the k/o then you’re stuck. Like it or buy another stock.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Ford/Chevy----MUCH prefer the K/O .Really softens the recoil,especially during a 200 plus round day.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:27 am 
Diamond Grade

If you are not shooting max 2 3/4 or 3" plus loads, you should not need the K/O.
I have it and have only felt it give with 1300 fps loads.
Probably easier to change LOP without, also.