CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MUST READ for WISC. SHOOTERS. UPDATE 4/10/09
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I got this as part of my news letter from Wern Valley.

A recommendation to close the sporting clays range at McMiller Sports Center has been proposed by Paul Sandgren, WDNR-Superintendent of the Southern Unit of The Kettle Moraine Forest. This is the same person who proposed closure of parts of the forest to deer hunting this past fall. Sandgren’s argument for closure is based primarily on the damage being done to trees and the environment. Never mind there are over 700 acres dedicated to ski trails that were created by cutting thousands of trees out of the 20,000 acres of the Southern Unit of the Forest. The McMiller sporting clays footprint takes up .0004% of that same forest!

There are serious implications for all sportsmen in this. Some sportsmen believe this is part of an agenda to get rid of McMiller all together. The bottom line is, once again a shooting facility is coming under attack, only this time it’s coming from the very place sportsmen could hardly have expected it to come from just 15 years ago. Call it a sign of the times.Our kids are going to need a place to shoot some day, where zoning laws and development can’t get in the way. McMiller was supposed to be that place, so get going!

Thought you might like to know.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Y on Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: re: MUST READ for WISC. SHOOTERS.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:35 pm 
Field Grade

Paul's number can be found on the DNR website. Perhaps those who don't share his views on the range closure should professionally contact him to discuss their views?

Post subject: re: MUST READ for WISC. SHOOTERS.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:59 pm 
Crown Grade

So the idea is to close the only place in K.M.S.F. south where a person can legally discharge a firearm without any intent to eat what they shoot.

Good idea :roll: !

The woods will be littered with debris from off-range target shooting at the first sign of November.

Post subject: Re: MUST READ for WISC. SHOOTERS. UPDATE 4/10/09
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I found this info on the Wisc.Sporting Clays Asso. web site.I am not the OP.Just reposting
it here.

I spoke with Milwaukee DNR District Director Gloria McCutcheon (414-263-8510) today about the status of McMiller Sporting Clays. DNR Superintendent Paul Sandgren (262-594-6204)has been trying to get the facility closed. She assured me that the clays course was going to continue operating with some changes. She also stated that this has NOT been publicly announced. She stated that steel shot is under consideration for mandatory use on the course. She asked for my opinion on that and I am sure you can guess what my response was. If you value your sport, take 5 minutes to call these two folks along with DNR Secretary Matt Frank @ 608-267-7556.

Steve

Post subject: Re: MUST READ for WISC. SHOOTERS. UPDATE 4/10/09
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ive shot at McMiller and I think it is a great field. Any update on this?

Dad - Ruger Red Label
Bro - Winchester Select Field
Wife/Mom - Browning BPS Micro
---------------------
Shoots together, stays together