CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Public Pheasant Hunting
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:13 am 
Field Grade

Hey,
I plan on taking my future brother-in-law pheasant hunting for our first time. And I was just wondering if anyone knows any good public hunting land for pheasants in Minnesota? Preferably within an hour or two in any direction of the city of Milaca or Princeton. I've been trying to find some on the DNR website and I don't want to pay for a PRIM map, so I've had no luck so far.
Thanks

Last edited by beca0901 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Public Pheasant Hunting
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:36 am 
Utility Grade

I'm not sure if any of these areas are near your location but Minnesota has quite a few state parks: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/map.html

Most state parks have a wildlife division open for hunting, trapping, and fishing. I'm not sure about the laws in Minnesota but I would imagine they're on base with the laws here in Ohio. All state and federal parks here are open to public hunting (provided you're in the right area. Some land owners have private stock in federal/state land)

Here's a list of shooting preserves for Minnesota as well: http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/outdoor_ac ... serves.pdf

Hope this helps you.

EDIT: Also, you can do what I do and take a screen capture from Google Earth, or Google Maps (using the satellite or terrain feature) and print your own "general area" maps. They might not be as detailed as a topo or scale, but you can use it as a general guideline. A major highway, some nearby cities, and even GPS data-points if you're so inclined.

I've made a few maps this way of places that I went camping last year and they came in pretty handy.