CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkey Permits MN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:40 pm 
Field Grade

Does anyone know what the rules are with private land and spring turkey hunting are in MN? I'm a little confused about the landowner permits. My Grandpa has some land up north that I think has some turkeys in it, so in order for me to use that land would he have to apply for a turkey permit just to allow someone else to hunt there even though I will have a turkey license for that hunting zone? Its probably a dumb question but the DNR site has me confused.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Turkey Permits MN
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:18 pm 
Crown Grade

You grandfather may allow any one he wants to hunt his property as long as it is not zoned against such use and the hunter follows all laws regarding distances from various structures. You are thinking the special property owner's tags have some bearing on this, it doesn't. If your grandfather were to apply for and receive a property owner tag, he would be required to allow access to his property throughout the season to any one who wanted with very limited ability to restrict usage. For best opportunity at birds, it is in your interest for him to not go his route as he can then "save" the property for your use. Go to the MN DNR website, click on the turkey icon, and there will be a good explaination of the landowner tag requirements. Otherwise, it is no different than deer, pheasant, or other type of hunting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:32 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you. I read the DNR pages a couple times but the more I read it the more confused I got. Now if only there was a way to guarantee I get a license.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:58 pm 
Crown Grade

If you have not heard by now, you did not draw a tag. The notices were sent out several weeks ago and the sales of the left over permits were finished maybe 4 weeks back. You can check on the DNR website to see if you drew a tag by using your driver's license or Hunter Safety number (same thing in Minnesota, if you have not gotten your driver's license, you now know what it will be). If you did draw a tag, check with the DNR to see if you can still get it. If you can't, remember that for next year. Your only choice now is to buy a bow license for one of the last two time slots. At least I think one can still get them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:53 am 
Field Grade

Sorry for the misunderstanding I am already looking at next spring. I just recently decided I wanted to try turkey hunting and by then the deadline was long past. So I am hoping to draw for next year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:13 pm 
Crown Grade

The DNR publishes the number of entrants for each particular season and zone on their website. To maximize your odds of drawing a tag you can either pick a time and zone which has more tags available than entrants or, if you want a specific zone, pick a time period that has the least number of entrants. Usually late season is less popular than early but the early seasons are often plagued by bad weather. Weekday time frames are also not as popular as it often requires one to take time off from work. A season/time that takes in a full weekend is very popular as the hunter only needs to take a day or two off to get a good chance at a bird. Study the charts and pick out that which is best for you.