CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McMiller Drama
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/59413257.html

"The Department of Natural Resources temporarily silenced guns Tuesday at the state-owned McMiller Sports Center in southwestern Waukesha County in the face of a legal volley and verbal sniping over the state agency's decision to change private operators."

Dad - Ruger Red Label
Bro - Winchester Select Field
Wife/Mom - Browning BPS Micro
---------------------
Shoots together, stays together

Post subject: Re: McMiller Drama
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:15 am 
Crown Grade

The fight in court has moved to Dane county. I don't know the schedule as of yet. Milford seemed get some breaks so that is why the fight.

Currently the range is open. Nothing has really changed. I guess they offer a day pass covering all the ranges instead of all day except the 2-300yard. Clays range is nice I hear. They did a lot work up there. Most all the warn guys are still there rehired by Milford. I haven't been out there since the take over. Open everyday except Monday right now and I think Sporting is still just the weekends. Business as usual.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:29 am 
Tournament Grade

McMiller was my first ever clays experience and it got my hooked. Have since become a member of the much closer Waukesha Gun Club shooting about 600 rounds a month or so. Definately want to go back to McMiller some time, hope its just as good as it was if not better.

Dad - Ruger Red Label
Bro - Winchester Select Field
Wife/Mom - Browning BPS Micro
---------------------
Shoots together, stays together

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:49 am 
Crown Grade

BanditB17 wrote:
McMiller was my first ever clays experience and it got my hooked. Have since become a member of the much closer Waukesha Gun Club shooting about 600 rounds a month or so. Definitely want to go back to McMiller some time, hope its just as good as it was if not better.
When I get my Cynergy back I plan on going to shoot around. Maybe if your interested you might want to hook up to experience the coarse together?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

This is one of my favorite sporting clays courses. Very nice setting I hope it remains open.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Most all of the people from Wern stayed on. So there isn't just all new faces.
The brothers from Milford seem to have their wits about them and the place is really stepping up. I think it is an improvement in my initial reaction.
cool things are happening.
You'll notice right away coming down the lane there is a awesome 3d archery target with a sign "3d archery coming soon". Even are going to start a league! Cool the archery prospects there had vanished for years. It's coming.
There is a big tent outside the clubhouse with many picnic tables and grills. I guess they cook food on the weekends now.
the sporting Clays range I have yet to get up there to see, but in the near future they are going to replace them machines with wireless. there is going to be way more variety because then they won't be restricted on were the throwers are placed and it will be much easier in the winter not having the cords buried under ice. Awesome idea.
Also this winter besides 3D archery leagues there is scheduled pistol, 300yard rifle and sporting leagues starting.
Prices/hours haven't really changed.
Still can use lead shot.
Talking to my friends there they tell me if it is needed they don't fart around, it gets done or replaced. Going to see improvements happening all over as time passes.
I honestly think the new management has got it together. If you liked it before like many of us did your going to like it just as much and more now.
With that said, "see you there"... :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:49 am 
Crown Grade

Update: Tent I posted before is down for the winter. Didn't think they would keep on doing cook outs during the winter season. Didn't make much sense to me.
Shot the sporting clays coarse today. I think anyone that does shoot a lot and is pretty good will find the coarse way too easy. Set up for a novice level shooter skeet chokes was all was needed. Nothing overly hard about it. Nothing to wow and jump out at you. Kind of boring. I guess the order is not to make it too hard to keep them coming. I'd hope they turn it up when leagues start. Most of them guys shot high score when it was harder. They will shoot perfect on a set up like this. I also didn't like having to push two remotes to fire off doubles. I liked as it was before when a station was set up as true pair there was one button to press . That might change when the new cordless machines arrive? I still had fun being my first time back shooting SC in quite some time, but when I was doing it all the time I wouldn't have. Not as before anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yeah, the course was pretty easy all summer, still it is a nice place to shoot. They used to mix it up alot more, hopefully they will again with the new cordless machines. Sounds good. H.V.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:43 am 
Crown Grade

The new machine are up and running. They are kick butt! I was able to have a heck of a time and I needed no one to pull for me. Here is how it works.

Go into the club house and register.
Your get a coded key that fits in the control boxes located at each station. There is diagrams at each station, but some are not the greatest. If you come in a group plug in the key and shoot like normal. Each station has a button trap 1 trap 2 and doubles. It is left open as to how you want them. It doesn't say true pair or report. It's up to you. Instead of paying a course fee they keep track of individual birds and it is very accurate. $.30 a bird so 50 costs you $15 cheaper than it was before. You still can throw a see them pair, but it costs you to do so. Some don't like that. 20 birds in 10 rounds you'll spend $6 extra. I spent a few extra cents having to see a pair over. I just couldn't find where the bird was to even shoot it. Oh well my first couple birds where on the house to learn the new system anyway. They give you 3 broken so keep track because at the end is when you pay. Depending on the weather you could have more broken.
The cool part. Shooting by yourself. When you touch the control hit the second trap button. Machines wake up and the control box lights with simple displays. There is user instructions on your clip board. You can program the delay for each machine. Trap two button adds seconds trap, one button subtracts seconds and the doubles button switches the machines that your programming. Really simple with 0 seconds to a max of 6 seconds delay. So using the trap two button press it for how many seconds you wish it to delay for trap 1 to pull the first bird in order for you to be ready. Hit the doubles button to switch to trap twos delay time setting. If you want true pair don't program it. Just stick in your coded key to lock in the settings. I set mine up mostly in following pairs. I set the first delay at 4 seconds and the delay for machine 2 at just one second. I did some true pairs and I guessed for a time delay to simulate a report pair and came pretty close with a 2 second delay on one of the stations. It only takes few seconds to do this at each station after the first couple times. Once the machine is programed your ready. The control reaches the PCV shooters box so when you are set just press the doubles button yourself and let it hang on the stand. The automated machines do just what you programed them to do. The first bird was launched after my 4 second time delay and the second perfect every time.
Being I thought my programming was too easy at one station I pulled the key reprogrammed it and reinserted the key. I continued to shoot the station with my new settings. It really is truly wonderful. Even in a group you might as well program them to make it consistent for all. How often does one to the next constantly pull. These machine are perfect in timing what you program them to do.
The only ones that really didn't like this system are them same guys that liked to take a few more shots at various stations. Now it isn't up to you doing the right thing. In the end your paying. Expect the machines to be in the future in entirely different locations never perhaps scene before. The machines are wireless out there. They are not limited by a cords reach. I expect it to be really something exciting to shoot. Being able to tailor it some and being able to shoot it on your own makes it a very inviting place to shoot.
I hear in the future the plan is to have separate code keys to sell as prepaid for a 1000 birds. This to will save you money. As it is taking no see them birds you save $1.50 a round over the old price. In a 1000 birds with the planned prepay passes your going to save a good amount more.
One other thing I thought of with this system. I've shot with many guys that call it when it starts to poor rain. No problem your only paying for your birds and it's at the end. You just shot 25 and quit your just paying for that 25. Not trying to get a partial refund after you already charged it to your card. Simple for everyone.
Don't forget this coming weekend is a quiet weekend for the skiers. No shooting and in the new year leagues all start after the holidays. SC, 300rifle, 25yard pistol, and 3D archery. McMiller is the place to be in south eastern Wisconsin this winter. Hope I'll see some of you there...