It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on where to hunt/shoot in Western KY
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:18 pm 
Field Grade

I'm VERY new to both guns and hunting, so I have pretty much no clue as to where decent places are to hunt/shoot in this area.

I'm interested in hunting anything and everything available in the area. Would also be great to just have a place to go and shoot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.[/b]

Post subject: Re: Advice on where to hunt/shoot in Western KY
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Old Coke Plant Road. :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:33 pm 
Field Grade

For real? That's less than 3 miles from my front door (I'm in Calvert City)!

But are there any public areas around there? I thought that was all privately owned land.

How did a Texan get so familiar with our little corner of the world? Do you have some ties to the area, TimberToes?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

hehe, thats really cool, Jeff;
I used to "hunt" that stretch of woods and fields in the mid to late 70s. We lived in Calvert City also, at the top of the hill kinda catty-corner across from Doctor Colberts House. My dad worked for Air Products. I left the WKY area in 1980. My wifes parents are in Paducah. they have the Health Food store downtown.

Cant say I ever saw much out there excpet for the occasional rabbit, though once I called up a mangy fox.

I know there was something being built on that road back then, dont know if it is more built up.

Also used to go in the woods to the East of the Plants, where dirt road is at the big Curve and leads to the river.

I hear the Corps let someone else take over the LBL area, that was really the true hunters place.

Shotgun Red here on the Forums shoots at the Range behind the Calvert Drive in.

nice typing at ya,
bryan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:53 pm 
Field Grade

Yeah, I can hear them shooting every now and then out behind the drive-in. I should look into that, but my skills are pretty much non-existent/pathetic right now. Don't think I could stomach the ridicule at this tender stage of my development. :P

I'm not sure what's going on in LBL, but I can tell you that there are tons of deer in that place. I'm a little bit leery of going in there during deer season, though. Bunch of drunken tourists with guns, alongside a bunch of drunken locals with guns! I guess that's pretty much the way it is with public lands, though. But, seeing as I don't have access to any private land, I guess I'll just have to take my chances. I'll be spray-painting my entire body blaze orange first! (This is not to infer that all hunters are drunks, so please don't flame me. I'm just kidding.)

That's cool that you lived in Calvert, nice to meet you! Small internet, eh?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

There are huge Deer in LBL. On Opening Day the High school was half-empty :)
In the past, Deer hunting was by draw, so they kept the number of hunters to a certain level. dont know how many that represents though

have you lived there for very long?

have you been below the dam in the spring, to Gig Alligator Gar in the flooded low areas ? that was always fun :)

we were mostly troublemakers, my Brother and I :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:18 pm 
Field Grade

I'm a lifer. Born, bred and probably die here. (Hopefully not by being gigged below the dam after being mistaken for a gar!)

You could actually probably gig the freaking mosquitos down below the dam they're so big.

I've never actually hunted anything until this past deer season. But now I'm looking forward to everything that comes along.

You're not fooling they've got big deer in LBL. There's some that could pass for elk. Just scary big. Plus now there's a bison and elk prairie, though I'm pretty sure you'd go straight to jail if you attempted to hunt them. They may still have a draw for all I know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

if may ask, What year did you graduate from Marshall co high?
1977 here.

do you have any cousins or freinds that would have gone to high school in that time frame?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:09 pm 
Field Grade

I graduated in 87, so me and my friends would have been little pests to you guys at the time :P

I bet we probably pestered you while you were hanging out at Quick Pick (or was it Huck's by that time?).

I honestly can't think of anyone that you might have crossed paths with. Most of my cousins that would be the right age, didn't live in Marshall County. And, God, if you did know some of my relatives they probably owe you money or something!

My family in this area consisted of (primarily) Becks, Keelings and Freemans (with a few Fowlers and Fords thrown in for good measure).