It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5LB copper or copper plated can of Copper plated lead BB
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:27 am 
Field Grade

I originally posted this in the reloading forum Saturday 18 Sep 04, but the response was only one gentleman that thought he had seen something like this in the 40's
I have 2, 5LB copper or copper plated can of Copper plated lead BB size shot for reloading.
On one side of the can, it has in black lettering; Division Lead Company, 7742West 61st Place, Summit, Illinois.
The other side of the can, also in black lettering is; an outline with the state of IL, Summit reverse Highlighted in the northeast part of the out line of the state. Under this is; Illinois Long Range Copper Plated and under this is Lead Shot reverse highlighted.
The top of the can is stamped BB in red bold marking.
Can anyone tell me of what time frame this was manufactured?
I am 42yrs and have only seen shot come in cloth bags.
Would anyone know what the value of this might be? Or should I just open it up and load it up for coyotes or use them as paper weights?
One can is dented , but the other can is in pretty good shape.
I was at a west coast gun show today here in CA and no one had ever seen such a can or could tell me anything about it.
An internet search of Division Lead Company, 7742West 61st Place, Summit, Illinois, turned up zilch.
Thanks for any info given in advance,
BigJohn

Post subject: Re: 5LB copper or copper plated can of Copper plated lead BB
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:23 am 
Utility Grade

I have two such cans, One marked #5, the other #6, My dad bought those at Herter's in Waseca, MN for $3.29 each. Marvelous place, it was. Nothing like it. He picked those up later on, in the late 60's, when Herter's started losing its mystique. Thanks for bringing back good memories. Can't tell you anymore about the shot, however. Looking further, my only remaining copy of their catalog, from '75, pictures shot in bags with a brief reference to purchasing their British powder and their shot in their store.