CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitsap County, WA/west Puget Sound area...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:14 am 
Crown Grade

I'm in the <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Kitsap,+Washington,+USA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title">Kitsap County area</a> of Washington State, and I haven't really had a chance to go out an find area (read: not ranges) to go out and toss some clays from a hand thrower to blast away at.

Any recomendations? Laws regarding use of firearms and locations?

Post subject: re: Kitsap County, WA/west Puget Sound area...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:03 am 
Field Grade

Unless you meet somebody with some property you'll have to find some public land. If you're in the navy there one of the bases might have a spot. Other than that there's not much on the Kitsap or in the islands. I'd go to the Olympic Nat'l Forest - go across the Hood Canal Bridge or down through Shelton. I had a buddy on Hood Canal that used to shoot at logs and things in the canal til one of them turned out to be a periscope!! :shock:

Post subject: Re: re: Kitsap County, WA/west Puget Sound area...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:54 pm 
Crown Grade

lucky guy wrote:
I had a buddy on Hood Canal that used to shoot at logs and things in the canal til one of them turned out to be a periscope!! :shock:

Talk about a big oops...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do yourself a BIG favor and take a run over to Sequim and do some shooting and or instruction from Chuck and Matt Dryke at Sunnydell shooting grounds – awesome place to shoot almost any game / presentation out there plus the place has world class instruction from Olympic gold metal and world record shotgun holders

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do yourself a BIG favor and take a run over to Sequim and do some shooting and or instruction from Chuck and Matt Dryke at Sunnydell shooting grounds – awesome place to shoot almost any game / presentation out there plus the place has world class instruction from Olympic gold metal and world record shotgun holders

Post subject: Re: Kitsap County, WA/west Puget Sound area...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:52 am 
Tournament Grade

I realize this may be way to late to respond, and at the risk of coming across like a cramped old scold, but I must inquire why the original poster would not want to use a range. Most ranges in our region will go out of their way to accomodate new (or experienced) shooters if they want specific types of targets thrown, or easier positions, etc. Not that the writer would ever do anything amiss, but I enjoy hunting on open land in WA and am distressed by piles of hulls, empty shell boxes, and broken clays on or near trailheads and fields. It doesn't take long before the 'No shooting' signs pop up. I also think we should support our shooting clubs and facilities because without them, our sport would be more threatened than it is now...a little like the old adage about hanging together or hanging separately.

Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:46 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm with Brewster on this one.... late reply or not, it is a very current subject. We need to support our local clubs and I can tell you that Kitsap has some of the best....... for example:

Bremerton Trap and Skeet (Hwy 3 across from Bremerton Airport - also see their netsite: http://www.bremertontrapandskeet.com ). 6 skeet ranges, 4 trap ranges, duck tower, 5 stand, sporting clays and interstate competition with room for camper hookups. A great club! Why would you want to go out into the woods to use a hand thrower?

Poulsbo Sportsmens Club (also on the net: http://www.pscnet.net ): pistol, rifle, 5 stand, and 2 trap ranges. Their shotgun hours nicely complement Bremerton's,

Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club (http://www.gunsafety.org) which just purchased their 72 acres from the county - based in large part on the argument that it is better to have a controlled environment at which to shoot than to have who knows how many unknown people out in the woods shooting. KRRC will, at the discretion of the range officers (IMO) allow you to use a hand thrower but remember that you're not the only one there. The range is well used (also leased by the Navy and Coast Guard) and the people are great. They try hard to have something in the way of competition for everyone - beginners or national competition.

Gig Harbor also has a range with trap facilities (no further info).

Tacoma has a large gun club.

So, as you can see...... in the Kitsap area there are alot of nice places to shoot. In fact, if you are Military and are stationed in the Northwest, Bremerton Trap and Skeet keeps loner guns on hand just for you guys and gals.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:46 am 
Limited Edition

alt154shiver wrote:
I'm in the <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Kitsap,+Washington,+USA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title">Kitsap County area</a> of Washington State, and I haven't really had a chance to go out an find area (read: not ranges) to go out and toss some clays from a hand thrower to blast away at.

Any recomendations? Laws regarding use of firearms and locations?

About 10-15 years ago, I went out by Teal Lake and shot up a partial box of clays I found with a guy I used to work with.
AFAIK, you can still shoot in Jefferson county.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kitsap wrote:
Poulsbo Sportsmens Club (also on the net: http://www.pscnet.net ): pistol, rifle, 5 stand, and 2 trap ranges. Their shotgun hours nicely complement Bremerton's,

They want $60 + you HAVE to join the NRA.
A friend wanted a place to shoot his Glock (part of his job), so I took him out there and that's what they told us.
He passed.
You also forgot the Bainbridge Island Sportsmans Club.
I don't know the specifics of joining it, but they've been around for a very long time.

Dean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:17 am 
Limited Edition

Sorry, just subscribing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 pm 
Limited Edition

I think that you must have misunderstood the people at the Poulsbo Sportsmens Club..... I've been shooting there for years and have never joined their club (because I'm already a member of a couple of other clubs). Of course, if you aren't a member they'll want you to come up with a range fee (generally about $10) but that is very reasonable considering all the work these guys go to to keep that range open. Also, consider that that $10 range fee is minor compared to the cost of your ammo.

As for the membership requirements....... $60 plus NRA membership? Why is NRA membership such a problem? Granted they don't always do things exactly the way everyone would prefer but thats minor compared to the overall support they provide. Remember, there are alot of folks out there who'd love to take ALL of your guns away from you - shotguns included.

Kitsap Rifle and Revolver club requires that you take a safety briefing ONCE (doesn't take that long) and then the $10 range fee....... or you can join.

There probably isn't a gun club on the planet that will let you shoot without charging some kind of range fee......... and the overwhelming majority of them are open to the public (which means that you don't have to pay that onerous $60 membership fee or prove NRA membership). You might want to encourage your friend to reconsider.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:23 am 
Limited Edition

Hey, don't know what to tell ya'.
That's what the guy told us at the time this happened.
...and I have nothing against the NRA.
I also have nothing against range fees. We all gotta make a living somehow.
This was a case of my (recently departed) friend just wanting someplace to keep himself "in shape" with his gun, so he was not interested in joining the NRA.
I do remember shooting there a time or two, so we must've paid the "daily" fee, but he evetually moved on. Possibly to the KRRC.
He mentioned the annual fee was cheaper and he didn't have to join the NRA.

Dean