It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: basic beginner taxidermy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:58 pm 
Field Grade

I've never done anything concerning taxidermy before except skinning a rabbit and drying it and rubbing borax into it.
Next season I'd like to maybe get some better pelts from better animals, and maybe stuff a squirrel or a pheasant.
I've got no clue how to do any of it.
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Post subject: Re: basic beginner taxidermy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:43 pm 
Crown Grade

There are several good instruction books and manuals available. Find one to your liking and study it carefully then pick a decent spiciman for your first mount and follow then instructions carefully. It's best to plan ahead somewhat and have some of the necessary supplies on hand before you begin. Most manuals suggest that you begin with a bird, as they are generally considered to be the easiest to mount.

Russell Tinsley's Taxidermy Guide

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:58 pm 
Field Grade

I would recomend the book from Outdoor Life "Complet home Taxidermy" by Tim Kelly. Its the book I started with and is easy to read and understand. You should be able to find it on ebay or amazon. I think small mammels are the easiest, then birds. fish can be a pain to skin. (freeze first, thaw and skin). Big game heads are not difficult, but there is an art to the details. I would recomend a good video for them. Van Dykes has a good set cheaply for mounting and finishing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:20 am 
Field Grade

Any suggestions as to getting deer heads to practice skinning?

Doe heads will be fine, just wondered how I could have them "legally."

Thanks.

Uwharrieman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Most states I am aware of have some type of "salvage tag" that can be obtained through law enforcement of fish and game department for road kills. I don't know about yours, and in the summer heat you'd almost have to witness said kill. My county keeps a list of people who want deer carcasses and will call them if the person who hit the deer doesn't want it. You may be able to get other animals this way also, depending on your laws.