It is currently Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bugs Eating Duck Mount
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:58 pm 
Utility Grade

Today I noticed that something had been eating the webbing from the feet of my wood duck mount. I found a larva of some kind near one of the feet. I don't see any other damage to that particular mount or any of the others in the room. Anyone have a good suggestion for how to deal with this? I can find another wood duck if needed, but I want to prevent damage to the other birds and deer that are in the same room.

Post subject: Re: Bugs Eating Duck Mount
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:38 am 
Field Grade

Probably a dermestid beetle - they will wreck havoc on your taxidermy collection. If you can, start by freezing all your mounts to kill them all; if they are on one mount, then they are probably on all of them. While the mounts are in the freezer, fog the room with a bug bomb. I would do semi-annual foggings after that.

If you have a really large collection, there are even some services that can come to your house that focus solely on protecting taxidermy collections.