CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trout tips
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:43 am 
Tournament Grade

hey guys ,

Do you have any REAL tips on how to catch trout in rivers? ive tried worms, salmon eggs, corn, mepps spinners and lures. There is some good fishing to be had at a river near my home but they're not biting.
I've even dropped the eggs right over top them to try and aggravate them to see if they would strike, but no luck.

regards,

retta

Post subject: Re: trout tips
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

well being a fly fisher man I use .. both drys if there is a hatch going on or nymphs at other times. I have had luck with ultra light gear using little spoons or some of the newer mepps spin flies.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Match the hatch!

Many fly shops offer seminars on how to do this -- you might want to look in to taking one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Have ya tried minnows, yet? Around here, folks are using Berkley's PowerBait with good results.

If ya REALLY want to get frustrated, try your hand at fly fishing. I fish for the fun of it and don't keep or eat anything I catch. I started(or restarted) fly fishing last year and found out that it's a whole new can of worms! Finese fishing at it's finest and talk about bait varieties....! Nymphs, emergers, dry flies, the right color and size? Try to get a #24 hook out of the mouth of a pissed off brown, without a net or forseps, while it's trashing about on 2lb tippet, all the while knowing that that was your last fly of that color combination that ain't hanging from some tree branch or stuck under some rock in the bottom of the stream bed.
And this is what I do to relax some.....? YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you really have good trout fishing near you, then you should be able to catch trout. Fish that don't bite are probably a bit irritated by one thing or another.

1) Pressure. Having a lot of fisherman around can cause fish to be unresponsive, or immune to standard baits. Think of advertising on TV--if you've seen the commercial a hundred times, either you've bought it already, or you never will. Pressured fish really need a fine-tuned presentation at the right time, place, and manner. McDonald’s may actually get me with a TV or radio commercial IF I am hungry, on a Friday, and I’m going off on an informal errand…but usually it’s “click.”

2) Presentation. "Fine and far off" is neither a myth nor a cliché. The lighter you can get your line/lure, and the farther off you can deliver it with accuracy, the better. Make sure you drop your presentation as far above the fish as is practical to get your bait into position. Dropping a cast on top of the fish adds to pressure, and often spooks fish unless they are starving-brookie hungry.

3) Conditions (couldn't think of another p-word). If fish have just fed after a storm or hatch, quite often they are literally "full," or tuned into a certain type of food (see the comments from other posters about 'matching the hatch.' Sometimes trout get into a groove of one type of insect at one stage of development, and that's all they want. Water levels (very low or very high) can also have a big effect on oxygen and temperature levels that seem to affect a trout’s feeding and metabolism. When they say, “You shoulda been here last week”—well, maybe you shoulda.

4) Timing. I've found that fish bite better in the early evening than the morning, because quite often they seem to feed all night. While no rule stands every test in fishing, I do catch more and bigger trout toward dusk than I do at dawn.

5) Scent. I used to disregard scented baits as advertising, but I have found situations where a bait or scent switch made all the difference. I don’t endorse any particular scent, but I am careful not to introduce scents that might turn fish off—oil, insect repellent, plastic packaging, sweat, aftershave, etc. One amateur way to take care of this is to rub your hands in some loamy dirt by the side of the stream, then wash them off—then rig up your lure/bait.

6) Lastly, you already seem to have tried a number of baits, which is a good thing. Don’t get stuck in a pattern of one bait or lure, one casting position, or one time of day. Mix things up, and if there are trout around, sooner or later one has to respond to something.

Good luck! Everyone needs a little.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:32 am 
Tournament Grade

When i use worms, corn, etc i always use number six hooks with 6 or 8 lb line. Don't know why but it makes a difference. Also if you use any mono filament smaller than 6 in on a small reel it tends to "squirrel" up on you after a few big catches. In a popular fishing spot it seems that most older fish know that typical baits have a hook in them. Bite something and get hurt so many times and you stop biting it. Also as someone else said dawn and dusk are great times to fish. Fishing during midday is gonna usually be slow. Most fish just aren't feeding during those hours. If you dont mind the dark buy a headlight at walmart and try some night fishing. Dawn or dusk, they usually bite good for about 2 hours on either side of sundown/sunup. You know what a "Shiner" minnow is? Throw one of those out between 4 am and daylight and you'll catch something. keep him fresh tho, if he stops wiggling hes worthless. My dad catches them at 1 am at night like this.

I'm trying new stuff this year. Got some flys, wooly boogers and others to try. I've also got some dvds on catching monster trout with oversized flys. When you aim for those big ones tho you can count on catching fewer or none at all during a day. I sit and catch 7 10-12 inchers regularly(My limit in tennessee) in 4 hours or less from predawn to 9 am.. I use corn and red worms mostly, swapping out to see what works each day. I saw fly fishers out there keeping up with me or even out fishing me tho. They throw back the ones i keep and i usually see them go home with one or two 14-20 inchers. i mostly fish for those perfect eating size ones but i may aim for trophy sizes a few trips this year. i swear any trout over 16 inches tastes funny. Maybe they eat more meat or something?

Maybe you'r throwing out in the wrong spot? Try to throw in calm water expecially where the river bends. Be patient, alert, and dont move around a lot or make any noise. they can hear you talk i swear. another thing to think about, the harder a spot is to get to the better. if you can find a few holes far away from the easy access places you'
ll get some action. maybe try a boat, canoe, or wading?

Post subject: trout tips
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 am 
Field Grade

Try dynamite!

I think that just about covers it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:17 am 
Diamond Grade

6thMichcav......pretty much nailed it. I'm a fly fisherman...but I firmly believe the best Fly Fishermen first became expert with bait and lures. In order to do that, my Grandfather put me on many a bridge, just to watch fish feed....then make my "presentation".
Trout in Rivers and Streams live for,with and along the current. It brings them their food. If there is a disturbance in the force, only the dumbest will bite....soon they are gone and you are left with the smart ones. They rest behind and in front of rocks to catch morsels caught out of control....only when the "drift" of that morsel is perfect, will the smartest take.....and even then...they are fussy enough to limit it to a certain size, bug, color, etc...Hence the fun in trying to outsmart them.
Why....well somedays we want a steak done just right and other times, when we are full, a couple of M&M's are irresistible.
Take a pair of good glasses....and watch. Watch the fish, how he holds, where he holds and how his food drifts to him. Most times lighter line and a smaller bait help, but for River and Stream trout I believe a proper drift is the key. So learn to mend your line, fish without weight (get up higher and let it sink naturally) and never let him see drag.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

haverodwilltravel, I agree with everything you said except the weight. You need to have your bait,fly whatever in the feed laine and if you are not there, you are just practicing. I add weight untill I can feel the bottem "tick". One time I fished with Joe Humphry and he told me his motto is "if you are not in the grocery lane, your not catching fish. Just like Bob Clouser, if your not snaggin, your not baggin.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:05 am 
Diamond Grade

....agreed, but I'd have him add weight once he understands drift. Joe is a master at adding and deleting weight and will even fish with just mono when he's nymphing so he gets that perfect deep drift. Bob...prbably understands moving water streamer fishing better than anyone alive. :wink: