It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum sponsor

Gil and Vicki Ash OSP Shooting School

Post subject: Adjustable butt plate
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:21 am 
Utility Grade

I have read the extensive posts about thinning/off setting the comb---spot on for me and other plump faced shooters. But very few posts about buttplates. I have a completely adjustable plate on my Beretta SV10. Would it be better to offset butt to right to increase cast and work on comb simultaneously, or get comb perfect first then adjust buttplate to comfortable fit? Thanks, Greg

Post subject: Re: Adjustable butt plate
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Greg,

The question you're asking isn't possible for anyone to answer unless they observe you shooting as well as see where your POI is on a patterning board. Not knowing your experience level in shotgunning you should get with someone in your local area that knows about gun fitting and see what they say.

I hope this helps a little and welcome to the club.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:00 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

If the comb is perfect then there will be no need for adj butt plate. Wrap yourself around the gun by leaning forward. And improving your shooting posture. Gil@ospschool.com Send me a pic from the side of you with the gun mounted and let's continue the discussion!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 am 
Diamond Grade

I would like to listen to this discussion, plz keep on line.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My .02 after dozens of fittings for students. Some folks assume an adjustable butt plate will change POI or fix cast issues, which they won't -- the comb is where that work gets done. They can help get a little more cast out of a stock that also has an adjustable comb, and when combined with comb offset and cast sliding the heel and toe out will put a fake bend in the stock. But by itself will do very little other than add DAH and toe -- both of which can be helpful tweak adjustments to any stock where the comb/cast/and DAC measurements are already correct.

Oh, folks also assume they will fix excessive gun cant by themselves and again they usually won't -- they can alleviate it to a small degree, but as you revert to a natural mount, most of the cant returns as it's usually caused by not enough cast.

Human ego will naturally resist change, yet change is the fuel that powers progress...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:36 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Spot on jack

We see moveable butt plate users immediately adjust the plate to fit poor shooting posture and while it does fit them the gun will only fit and shoot well on targets at eye level and a little higher. When they adjust the plate down so they can shoot with a more erecte head position then the recoil increases. There is little value in moveable butt plates IMO and they add weight to the gun.

Get the gun stock to fit and learn to wrap yourself around it and learn to shoot it. My $.02

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gil Ash wrote:

Get the gun stock to fit ...

Amen! When it's all done right, the gun becomes an extension of you.

Human ego will naturally resist change, yet change is the fuel that powers progress...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:15 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Jack there is a lot of snake oil out there about gun fit tryguns and the like. Most are peddling guns that shoot high and fit the stock so the colored part of the eye rests on the rib "like a marble on a table". Well I'm here to tell you that may work out to about 25-28 yards but past there out to 100 yards it don't work. That is why most long crossers are missed OVER!!! IMO and my $.02!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Where do you like to see the colored part of the eye sit?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Absolutely agree Gil. I followed the "trap-gun high" crowd initially myself, until the day I got tired of rarely hitting a technical curling and dropping target if it was over 40 yards. I lowered my comb back to flat and almost immediately started hitting long technical targets with surprising consistency.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

belleriver wrote:
Where do you like to see the colored part of the eye sit?

I'm not Gil, but I set my students up so I can see their pupil -- meaning the black center part -- just sitting atop the front bead with a gentle, normal, natural mount to the face. I'd say you know you're pretty close for yourself if you jam your face down into the gun and can see just the tip of the front bead over the rear of the receiver.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the input-- I use the adjustable buttplate mainly to increase drop at heel. I just really see better with a more head upright face forward posture than w head tilted forward and looking out the upper 1/3 of my field of view. Seems to be some inconsistent use of "cast" wording in the posts... are you talking about "cast" of the comb (angled to the receiver) or "offset" of the comb ( pushed to right but parallel with receiver)?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ludditedoc wrote:
Seems to be some inconsistent use of "cast" wording in the posts... are you talking about "cast" of the comb (angled to the receiver) or "offset" of the comb ( pushed to right but parallel with receiver)?

I am talking about BOTH. Cast is an angle but actually measured as offset at heel and toe. Regardless the angle produced needs to fit your face, or zygomatic arch to be more specific. Comb offset is what puts the center of the comb in the right spot to center your eye down the rib AFTER you get the proper cast angle. On a "fitted stock" that is all built into the stock and comb. On a gun without enough cast, the adjustable comb may need both more angle and be pushed over some to get your eye centered on the rib. Those two movements with added heel and toe offsets via an adjustable butt-plate, you can "fake" in more cast on a stock that doesn't have enough, but only to a certain degree. Once the comb offset gets more than about 3/16" off the stock line for most folks, the bottom part of the stock will hit the jaw and prevent additional movement.

Hope that clarifies,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:56 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Liddit
You stock is too high if you are having to roll your head forward to "get down on the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gil Ash wrote:
Liddit
You stock is too high if you are having to roll your head forward to "get down on the gun.

Yup. And/or possibly too parallel, meaning not enough slope -- likely you need more of both.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:39 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Listen to jack