ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: going to be shooting ducks and geese this week end!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:58 am 
Diamond Grade

Howdy!
heading out this week end for a goose shoot - but I secretly like shooting fast flying ducks better! :lol:
I'll be taking my goto 20 , and have some #2 nice shot loaded for it , but will shoot Faststeel mostly in it, but will also be shooting my Westley Richards double hammer with nice shot in brass cartridges, as well as my 28 gauge Fausti with #4 nice shot.
The 28 gauge ammo I use is a lower pressure, high velocity load from BPI that I use with nickel shot ( 7/8 oz.) and 30 grains of H110, swapping the nickel plated 7 1/2 shot for Nice Shot.
Last year i didn't have much chance to use it on waterfowl but did kill two Buffleheads at better than 30 yards, one teal at about 25, and a single goose . All shots were crossing , no back shots or quartering shots.
I find the little 28 performs perfectly if you simply concentrate on the head of the bird- but then, I never target any other part of the bird anyway! :mrgreen:

I have yet to shoot the 12 bore double hammer with Nice shot, but I doubt very much that anything will go wrong , simply because i am using black powder, which is a lot lower pressure than smokeless, and i will not be shooting a super high weight shot charge.
We decoy our geese and ducks into about 25 yards before tripping the switch, so a big 3.5" gun is not needed ! :D
I'll let you guys know how things work out, hopefully with pics or maybe even a video clip!
Davide

Post subject: Re: going to be shooting ducks and geese this week end!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:56 pm 
Field Grade

Good luck, Davide! Would love to see the pics, if you can get a buddy to take a pic of you shooting the 12 ga BP loads I would love it. Be neat to hear a report from you on patterning results if you have done that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:20 am 
Diamond Grade

[quote="Pat T"]Good luck, Davide! Would love to see the pics, if you can get a buddy to take a pic of you shooting the 12 ga BP loads I would love it. Be neat to hear a report from you on patterning results if you have done that.[/quote]
Thanks Pat, I'll be sure to get some pics!
As far as patterning goes, I never did pattern this gun, I just started smashing stuff with it!! :lol:
I have found in the past however, that some wad combinations work better with BP than others.
One thing I do is use a half of a lubed wad in my BP guns, over two nitro card wads .
This helps to keep the fouling down, especially in the muzzle loaders.
The wad is pre-lubed with vegetable oil from Blue and Grey.

Davide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Weekend is almost over, how'd you do??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

[quote="Nice Shot"]Weekend is almost over, how'd you do??[/quote]
Ever have one of those hunts where EVERYTHING goes wrong except the weather? :roll:
Crap, the weekend was a wash as far as birds in the bag - we only shot at one, a 10lb. gander Canada that my sone killed with his O/U 3.5" 12 gauge.
This bird was about as close as they came all week end , and it was a HUGE distance.
The danged things flew around us, over us, and by us.
Too much crop still standing , and the farmers are scattering the flocks with the combines, etc.
We considered floating the main river where they roost, that would for all intent and purpose be about as low a thing as a person could do, because these same farmers are going to be hunting when they are finished the harvest.
Shooting the heck out of the roost would put the birds out of the country.
Soooo, you will have to wait for a bit for my report - sorry! :(
I did shoot two ruffed grouse with my 28, but ruffies at 15 yards are not mach for a payload of #4 nice shot!! head shot, no breast meat damaged! :D
Davide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

No problem with the report, sorry you didn't have a better day though. At least you bagged a grouse, and I'm glad your son got a goose!

Dan