CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Have I got this right?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:12 am 
Presentation Grade

Nice Shot is non-toxic, heavier than lead, and soft enough to shoot in older guns with fixed chokes and/or SxS', and the pellet sizes are the same as traditional lead?

If this is so, are the pellet counts (NS vs. Lead) the same, load for load? Or is the weight difference sufficient to change the pellet count?

I am not a reloader and stupid questions don't get answers if they don't get asked.

Post subject: Re: Have I got this right?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great question ! I have found pellet counts higher , closer to 5% ANTIMONY (harder magnum)lead . My 12 gauge 3/4 oz load for #5 3% ANTIMONY chilled lead shot says 127 pellets . With nice shot the avarage I counted is 139 pellets . So stay with the same size as lead . I just started reloading it and must say it hits very hard. This statement is from very limited use as I just startd using it . It did seem to dump all its energy into the bird and I was impressed . Also with 3/4 oz (scaled) nice shot loads I got 46 rounds per kilo . This is my clay target load . I did not change anything. With # 8 shot lead it (scales) closer to 13/16 .Hope this helps .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

robert146 wrote:
Nice Shot is non-toxic, heavier than lead, and soft enough to shoot in older guns with fixed chokes and/or SxS', and the pellet sizes are the same as traditional lead?

If this is so, are the pellet counts (NS vs. Lead) the same, load for load? Or is the weight difference sufficient to change the pellet count?

I am not a reloader and stupid questions don't get answers if they don't get asked.

Hi Robert,

Nice Shot is just about the same as an alloy magnum lead shot, just as pkn45s said, it has a little higher pellet count. But the plus is you can use all of you favorite lead wads and powders. And shoot it in your older or finer shotguns that you don't want to use steel or other hard shots in.

If you are not a reloader, follow the Ammo link from my main website, I may have just what you need.
http://www.niceshotinc.com
Regards,
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 am 
Presentation Grade

Thank you, Nice Shot. If I read you correctly, it is not quite as heavy as lead (more shot per weight), but soft enough to do no harm to an older barrel. So I can use an older gun, but would be wise to have the chokes opened up.

My guess is that your patterning results would be about the same if you used regular lead shot. The choke restriction works against the effect of the shot cup.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes it is lighter than lead shot, about 95% the same as magnum lead shot which is lighter because of the alloying to make it harder. Lead is between 11~13 brinell and Nice Shot is 14~16 brinell.

Nice Shot will work in any of your chokes but the larger shot sizes pattern better with the lesser restriction.

Dan