ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Pressures?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:33 am 
Crown Grade

Dan, what are the pressures developed by the 12 ga cartridges on your website? I need to find some non-tox suitable for a H&H proofed at 850 bar.

I don't (yet) reload for shotgun but may have to. I reload my big rifle rounds but have no shotshell equipment and hesitate to set up for non-tox, hence my question regarding suitability in an 850 bar proofed gun.

Thanks!

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

Post subject: Re: Pressures?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:50 am 
Crown Grade

pump,

pressures? -dont know. someone stated 1500psi increase in pressure compared to the identical lead load. (dont quote me on that.)

if you are loading a small amount of shells, you can do them on a electronic ballance, after you do about 50 or so, you`ll get the hang of it. i weigh powder and shot for steel shells.
(non-toxic)
if you buy primed hulls, powder and wads, then all you need is an overpowder card, and a roll turn tool. (or a classic hand roll turn tool.)
the shells look nicer, but can have less pressure and performance compared to the tight fold crimped shells.

its either that, or get a mec press, bushings, chargebar, primers. etc.

if you are shooting 1000`s a season, maybe a press is the best way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:22 pm 
Crown Grade

I shoot thousands of rounds of lead in a season but unless there's a total lead ban I won't switch to any non-tox except where I need to. So that might be a hundred rounds a year which doesn't make loading price-effective. I think you're right about the 1500 lb increase in pressure - I read it on the Nice shot site and I suspect it has to do with its relative incompressibility. 850 bar proof doesn't give you a lot to play with!

Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:45 am 
Field Grade

If Dan's are to high you may want to look at RST's nice shot offerings.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:13 am 
Crown Grade

what length chambers is the gun? is it a propper game gun ? 2.5" or is it a 2.75 / 3" ?
i can look at a reloading manual for a suitable load.

cook.

850 bar is 2,3/4" specifications i think.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:28 am 
Field Grade

Pumpster-

Nice Shot loaded ammunition is below the SAAMI spec of 11,500psi or 792 bar for 12 gauge 2 3/4 & 3", Enjoy!

Pat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:16 pm 
Crown Grade

The gun of concern is a H&H Royal with 2 3/4-inch chambers and a proof of 850 bar. I am not interested in shooting SAAMI spec ammo in that gun, currently it feeds on B&P loaded to CIP. I often use 2 1/2-inch shells.

What I really want is some quantitative pressure info regarding the Nice-shot shells available on the market.

I could certainly shoot SAAMI spec shells in this gun - many people do with similar guns but I don't want to.

May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I do not recall seeing psi on ANY factory ammo . what is the psi of your lead loads ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:53 pm 
Crown Grade

pkn45s wrote:
I do not recall seeing psi on ANY factory ammo . what is the psi of your lead loads ?

You're right - it isn't on the the ammo or on the box but it is available from some manufacturers. For example, the B&P loads I shoot:

http://bandpusa.com/media/upload/file/speed-pressure.jpg

Note that there are also steel loads and their pressures are given.

I use the B&P leads a whole lot with my good SxSs. I will be trying the Nice Shot next - I like knowing the pressures and it is very good business practise of them to provide them. I also look forward to their reloading manual.

I think there's a need for a non-tox made by a helpful company!

May God bless our Union.