CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: A No Tox Rant
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Here my latest quasi-amusing rant: http://randywakeman.com/The_No_Tox_Shotshell_Problem.htm.

If Nice Shot is as good as Kent TM (along time favorite), then they've "got it." Kent TM is through the roof, $4.50 to $5.00 a shot. If it is TM or better performance @ $2 less per shot, it could be the new standard.

http://randywakeman.com

Post subject: Re: A No Tox Rant
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well, for myself, Randy, I don't have much of a choice! :roll:
The only 20 gauge stuff I can get up here is Steel in the usual offerings, I can get
Hevi-Shot, but do not want to use it in my older guns.
To that end, Nice Shot is my only choice, I can get it no sweat, and it has worked well in the three gauges I tried it in, although i didn't use it too much in my 20.

Davide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:11 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Once more factory loads become available and / or there is more exact published data, there doesn't seem to be any reason why 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 oz. 20 gauge 3 inch loads won't be there-- that will take care of the 20 gauge waterfowl applications.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:39 pm 
Diamond Grade

[quote="RandyWakeman"]Once more factory loads become available and / or there is more exact published data, there doesn't seem to be any reason why 1-1/8 and 1-1/4 oz. 20 gauge 3 inch loads won't be there-- that will take care of the 20 gauge waterfowl applications.[/quote]
Randy,in northern Alberta we were not even able to get Black Cloud 20 gauge until this year!
The Hevi-shot, ITX, and Nice Shot I have is bagged shot and I hand loaded it. :roll:
i would LOVE to try some factory non-tox stuff in my 20 besides steel! :D
We really do get the short end of the stick up here.....
Davide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Nice shot is Excellent, both in performance and price. A well centered mallard folds as if hit with lead. No swimming, nothing. Dead right there, so to speak.

As to Nice Shot 20ga loads, the cost per box is a few dollars less than 12ga. Further, they use the exact same box as for the 12's, stuffing 12 rounds in the box. So you get 12 rounds, not 10...for less cost than 12ga.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:06 am 
Presentation Grade

Randy: There are some pretty straight forward answers from Nice Shot in the post on this site titled "Have I Got It Right". He talks about weight, Brinnell, chokes, etc.

I wonder if all these "green" people have any idea what they have done for the ammo manufacturers?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Randy ; thank you for your info and post . when I get this 3/4 oz 12 ga load tested I will post more . My price per reload is 1.37 pr round or just over 34.00 per box of 25 . It kicks like a butterfly and stings like a bee !!! Love it !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:31 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

robert146 wrote:
Randy: There are some pretty straight forward answers from Nice Shot in the post on this site titled "Have I Got It Right". He talks about weight, Brinnell, chokes, etc.

Yes, but when you review something, you strive for a bit more detail-- actual density in g./cc, sphericity, and so forth.

See: http://randywakeman.com/NoBarrelDamageNoTox.htm. You can see why Hevi-Shot isn't necessary heavy at all, why Classic Doubles does not compare favorably to Kent TM. Hevi-Shot C.D. is more along the lines of bismuth in density and is 15% or so lighter than lead. I can guess, but do not know, that Nice Shot is very close to the approximate Tungsten-Matrix density of 10.8 g./cc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:07 am 
Presentation Grade

Randy: I read your article and take no issues.

However, my interest in non-toxic shot is very narrow: I want to use older, fixed choke guns, and favor SxS's. It appears that Nice Shot may be better than Classic Doubles for this purpose.

The criteria would be to match the performance of these older guns prior to the ban.

It seems simple: Take the old Nitro Special (or its equivalent) out behind the barn and shoot lead loads, then shoot on-toxic loads. For instance; 2 3/4, 1 1/8 #6 lead, then 2 3/4, 1 1/8 #6 non-toxic. I expect there would be some differences, but at least we would know what they were.

Then maybe we could try different shot sizes or different load weights and see if there is a way to improve patterns. If the weights are close (number of shot per ounce), penetration would be similar, and it would seem that pattern density would be most important.

I guess I'm stupid, but I can't find this information. If I had it and learned that one was better than the other, I could decide if I wanted to accept a handicap or not, and make a choice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:32 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Nice Shot is (as I learned today), 10.2 - 10.3 g./cc, denser than the Hevi-Shot Classic doubles (9.7 g/cc), but not quite as dense as Kent TM.

Bismuth: 9.6 g/cc

Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles: 9.7 g/cc

Nice Shot: 10.2 - 10.3 g/ cc

Kent TM: 10.8 g/cc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:06 am 
Field Grade

Is Nice Shot heavier than Hevi-Shot that is sold in bulk for reloading?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:40 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

No.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:15 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Randy.