Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

http://randywakeman.com/Hevi_shot_Fires_Back.htm

Apparently the folks at Hevi-Shot just don't "get it." :roll:

http://randywakeman.com/

Post subject: Re: Hevi-Shot Fires Back
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

That was a good read Randy! I see you don't mind jousting with anyone!
Did you happen to try the ammo I sent??

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:38 pm 
Global Moderator

Nice lob over the net, curious to see the return salvo.

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
http://randywakeman.com/Hevi_shot_Fires_Back.htm

Apparently the folks at Hevi-Shot just don't "get it." :roll:

Perhaps it isn't the folks at Hevi-shot that have the problem :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:42 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Nice Shot wrote:
That was a good read Randy! I see you don't mind jousting with anyone!
Did you happen to try the ammo I sent??

Dan

Not yet, but will soon. Need to lose some of the 30 - 40 mph winds first.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have to agree with a lot of what Randy in that article. EM is appears very careful to not disclose densities of their various products. I have the shot in bulk, and it is 12g/cc, and I really like it. I don't have exactly the load that I want yet, and kind of have slowed on that project as I went to Nice Shot for non tox loads mainly because I could shoot them in whatever gun I felt like at the time. Nice Shot real easy to load.

But with the bulk shot and with the old "Remington" stuff, especially the high velocity loads were absolute stoners on everything from Cranes, geese, ducks and pheasants. I liked it for turkey too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:44 am 
Diamond Grade

I am confused......again; so more stupid questions:

If I want to use non-toxic shot in an older, fixed choke SxS (NID, Nitro Special, LCSmith, etc.), I can use any shell loaded with Nice Shot, but only Classic Doubles with Heavy Shot, or Bismuth if I can find it?

As near as I can tell, none of these alternatives weigh as much as lead? I don't know anything about densities, but I do know that an ounce is an ounce and if takes more shot of the same size to make an ounce, that stuff is lighter.

I do not reload. I prefer the older guns. It appears that Nice shot offers a wider range of shot sizes than the others and costs an arm and a leg, but is OK in these older guns regardless of choke.

Have I got this right??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

robert146 wrote:
I am confused......again; so more stupid questions:

If I want to use non-toxic shot in an older, fixed choke SxS (NID, Nitro Special, LCSmith, etc.), I can use any shell loaded with Nice Shot, but only Classic Doubles with Heavy Shot, or Bismuth if I can find it?

As near as I can tell, none of these alternatives weigh as much as lead? I don't know anything about densities, but I do know that an ounce is an ounce and if takes more shot of the same size to make an ounce, that stuff is lighter.

I do not reload. I prefer the older guns. It appears that Nice shot offers a wider range of shot sizes than the others and costs an arm and a leg, but is OK in these older guns regardless of choke.

Have I got this right??

I'll preface my comments with the qualifier that I'm an idiot and don't know much about anything. I'll answer them in reverse order.

Nice shot is harder than lead, even high antimony magnum lead. Loading larger shot sizes like #2 in large volume shells with borderline pressures and shooting it through an extra-tight choke might cause problems depending on the steel, wall thickness, and gun.

Nice shot is close enough to high antimony lead to be equivalent in density.

Not all older guns can take classic doubles. There is some pressure data on nice shot available such that one can choose an appropriate load for each weapon.

The only older guns I shoot are LC Smiths from the pre-1913 era. I load my own nice shot to control cost and load. I've found that I get really good patterns from the nice shot, such that I can load a relatively small volume of shot and still get wicked patterns out quite a ways.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:52 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

robert146 wrote:

Have I got this right??

See: http://www.rstshells.com/rst_classic_shotshells_shotshells.htm for loaded ammo, including Nice Shot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:07 am 
Crown Grade

robert146 wrote:

As near as I can tell, none of these alternatives weigh as much as lead? I don't know anything about densities, but I do know that an ounce is an ounce and if takes more shot of the same size to make an ounce, that stuff is lighter

nice shot is supposed to be an alternate to lead. it is a softer type shot.

density is g/cm^3. the more dense shot is, the more it holds on to the energy (speed)

where as steel is 7-8g/cm^3, looses most of its energy, at (say)75yards. smaller shot more so.
thats the big problem with steel. thats why the go for bigger pellets. more energy retention.

shooting tungsten is prferably for longer range as the shot is still fast at 75yards (for instance, with most shotsizes.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:51 am 
Tournament Grade

The easiest way to say it is: "Nice Shot shoots and performs like lead of equal size."

And if you have a shotgun that can handle more modern pressure check out the Nice Shot line of ammunition.

http://store.fastcommerce.com/niceshot

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:30 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Dan, Niceshot kicks butt. When non tox-laws started I tried to hunt with steel but only had one shotgun that would shoot it. Quit duck hunting after that season. Bismuth got me back in the game. And TM was just to much money for poor folks like me. Thanks to niceshot and a re loader my wife has never had to experience the hell of steel. Would not worry about Heavy Shot your demographic is the guys that like their old 2.75" real guns and remember hunting with lead. This year I am hunting with my late father's 1967 lite 12, and the wife is using her 1963 vintage sweet sixteen. Good times

Hess

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Are there any case quantity discounts on nice shot? The stuff sounds great.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Prof. Hess wrote:
Thanks Dan, Niceshot kicks butt. When non tox-laws started I tried to hunt with steel but only had one shotgun that would shoot it. Quit duck hunting after that season. Bismuth got me back in the game. And TM was just to much money for poor folks like me. Thanks to niceshot and a re loader my wife has never had to experience the hell of steel. Would not worry about Heavy Shot your demographic is the guys that like their old 2.75" real guns and remember hunting with lead. This year I am hunting with my late father's 1967 lite 12, and the wife is using her 1963 vintage sweet sixteen. Good times

Hess

Glad I could put the fun back into duck hunting for you! Keep us posted on your hunts!
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:13 am 
Crown Grade

I have to say, that was pretty funny. Sean sounds like a guy hocking wares at the County Fair. He's not doing his product any justice with his "dumb" commentary. Really? Birds don't come raining down when I pull the trigger? Didn't they read the ad? Funny stuff.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=448601

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some good reading...I for one, reloaded using nice shot when it first was introduced.

It is good stuff and especially liked being able to use "Normal" reloading components!

Alas! It was still more than I wanted to fork out back then @ over $2.00 a shell, this age'ed mind cant exactly recall.

Anywhoo... I went back to loading steel and am more selective in my shots, but I like the "I dun'it factor" and the "for under 7 bucks a box (of 25)" wallet feeling.

Don't get me wrong here, its a good product (nice shot) with a wide range of use. Its just more than I'm willing to spend for the No-Tox B---S--- and I wouldn't even consider that other Super Hard, bore scratching, need special super wad No-Tox out there cuzz you'd think you was loadin' and shootin' GOLD!

I'll keep shooting steel 'til pricing is more balanced or they find out lead was only toxic to the animal harvested :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Have some bulk Hevi and bulk steel. Guess I'll have to try the bulk Nice and see if it's as sweet as I think it might be.

Thanks Dan for manufacturing this stuff. I feel obligated to echo Randy's sentiment about your honesty in presenting your products capabilities and density. As long as other vendor play keep away with their density information (in what appears to be an effort to fool people) they'll stay off my buy list.

Best,
Slow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for you comments Slow! Just keep me posted on your use and success with Nice Shot.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

That's an 1-1/8 oz. of #5 Nice Shot, a real creampuff load.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:38 am 
Field Grade

Will Nice Shot ever make a 2 7/8 10ga load for waterfowl hunters like myself? 3 1/2's are not so good in the older sxs and I like my shoulder where it is. I need to learn how to reload I'd bet.Older SXS'S are my guns for upland,waterfowl, ect.The older ten's are the best for all if you don't mind the weight of one . Help us out here with the 10ga loads folks 2 7/8 would be a great start!