CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Differences between shells made by RST and by Nice Shot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 pm 
Field Grade

I have been comparing 20 ga shells from RST (http://www.rstshells.com/rst_classic_sh ... shells.htm) and from Nice Shot (http://store.fastcommerce.com/niceshot/ ... 554-c.html). Regarding 2 3/4" shells, those manufactured by RST (approx. $3/ea) are available in sizes 5, 6 and 7 1/2 @ 7/8 oz weight and 1150fps. The shells manufactured by Nice Shot (approx. $2.40/ea) come in sizes 5 and 6 @ 1 oz weight and 1300fps.

Do the reduced velocity and weight of the 20 ga RST loads (both 2 1/2" and 2 3/4") result in lower pressure loads which are more appropriate for older classic guns (Foxes, Elsies, English game guns, etc)? Would it be correct to assume that the shell of either manufacturer could be used in a modern proofed gun (steel proofed or not, such as an older Superposed)- depending upon the user's preference for load weight and speed?

I have been shooting 2 3/4", 1 oz Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #6 @ 1245fps in the bottom barrel (IC) of my B Rizzini Round Body and 3", 1 1/4oz Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5 @ 1200fps out of the top barrel (Mod) for late season pheasants over my setter and find this combo to be deadly. I realize that some will contend that 3", 1 1/4 oz 20 gauge loads are excessive and counterproductive but I've been shooting them with great success for 20+ years. I guess it's a confidence issue and I don't want to fix what ain't broke. Are there any plans to add any 3", 20ga loadings by Nice Shot?

Thanks for your help,

ratt

Post subject: Re: Differences between shells made by RST and by Nice Shot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

ratt,

You are right about RST ammunition being made for the older classic shotguns with lower pressures. Nice Shot ammunition is the higher pressure loadings for more modern shotguns. The reason for the 2-3/4" shell is that everyone can use it. Planning on expanding the 20 gauge line to consist of #4, #5, #6, & #7-1/2. And adding a 28 gauge line too. Probably won't see any 3" rounds till next fall.

Dan

Post subject: Re: Differences between shells made by RST and by Nice Shot
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:34 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for your response, Dan.

The additional shot sizes and 3" shells sound like they'll be great additions to your lineup. I don't like shooting steel and try to avoid hunting upland where non-tox is required but national non-tox may be inevitable and your shells appear to be the best alternative- both for performance and cost. May have to pick up some 2 3/4 #6 to expand my locations/opportunities for early season sharpies and huns in the Dakotas next year.

ratt