CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Pressure data of current shells offered?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:47 pm 
Crown Grade

I am particularly interested in your 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1-1/8 Oz #2 and #4 loads. I see that the velocity for both is rated at 1250 fps. What is the pressure rating for those loads? I hope I haven't missed something on your website.

Thanks,

MD

Post subject: Re: Pressure data of current shells offered?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

MD,

No you didn't miss anything. I try to keep the pressures around 10,000~10,800 works great for the autos and more modern lead only shotguns like the A5 but I don't suggest using them in the turn of the century L.C. Smiths or like shotguns. All Nice Shot ammo is to spec. and is safe for the more modern firearms. If you are using the older SXS Fox or L.C. Smith, I'd suggest using the Nice Shot loadings that RST Classic Shot Shell offer. http://www.rstshells.com/

I hope this helped!

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:51 am 
Crown Grade

That's a little much for me. I'm looking to use these in a mid-weight Spanish BLNE and I'd like to keep the pressure below 9,000. It's too bad you guys don't load something a bit easier on the gun. I understand there may be a deal/agreement with RST, but their shells (with shipping) run about $3.50 each and only 1 oz, yours are under $3 for 1-1/8 oz. Compared to other "premium steel/non-toxic" offerings, yours are comparable in price, but far superior in "lead-like performance."

I've been looking over the reload data (courtesy of Precision Reloading) and see that I can use Fiocchi hulls pushing 1-1/8 oz loads at ~1250 fps down around 8500 psi. It wouldn't take too long to justify the cost of a basic, used reloader...

MD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:15 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

mountaindave wrote:
I'm looking to use these in a mid-weight Spanish BLNE and I'd like to keep the pressure below 9,000.

Why?

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Why to which part? Why a Spanish gun, or why low pressure loads?

Why not? :D

Spanish guns: I like Spanish guns and like most humans have an irrational passion for something (though I could spend hours explaining why it is not irrational :wink: ). More specifically, I love they way they handle. I know that's a big generalization, but they generally handle much better than other doubles in the same price range, even the bargain basement fixer-upers recently reaching the markets. Some people would give their eye teeth for the latest, greatest auto-loader. I'd give my eye teeth for an old, roundbody, Spanish XXV, that's just who I am. I appreciate old guns and even considered an old A5 as my grandfather hunted with one, but they just don't feel lively in my hands. I'm not even interested in a Browning Double Auto. I like to see two rounds in two barrels.

Low pressure rounds: Why would there be reload data on low pressure rounds if people didn't have good reasons to use them? I'm not interested in long-range loads to kill birds beyond 40 yards. I've done some sky-busting when I first started hunting and learned it's not rewarding. My skill set just isn't developed enough to be reliable past 40 yards, so I don't take those shots. I'd rather decoy waterfowl in closer, develop a better "honey hole" or scout the perfect "X" than overextend my own limits.

I have done very well with upland hunting loads around 1250 fps. Spanish guns are proofed according to CIP standards and we use SAAMI standards in the US. I'm sure you've seen the merry-go-round threads trying to reconcile the two and the divisions they create. I don't claim to be an expert, and I can't be 100% sure about anything (who can?) but I can choose to keep my pressures down to put more reasonable stress on an old gun. The gun appreciates it as well as my shoulder, and I don't feel I really need anything more in my barrels.

BTW Randy, thanks for publishing the Precision Reloading data on your website and reviewing Nice Shot, you were a great help in my decision process to give Nice Shot a try.

MD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:27 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It was "why" to "low-pressure." There are no really "high pressure" shotshell rounds, a .22 long rifle round is far, far higher in pressure, and a lab pressure only is meaningful if you shoot in a lab, with a lab gun and a lab atmosphere. Pressure has nothing to do with recoil.

http://randywakeman.com/Why_Shotshell_Published_Pressures_are_Meaningless.htm

Certainly, if you have an old gun that is suspect, you might think is very fragile, etc., -- or, a 2-1/2 in. gun (http://www.shotguns.se/html/proof___marks.html) there are reasons, and LUP cannot be accurately converted to PSI. There's more at: http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2011/01/testing-firearms-proof-test.html. There's also NATO EPVAT testing.

Many shotshell manufacturers (Olin-Winchester, Remington, Federal) don't publish pressures at all. With reloading, it is tradition, only to show that the powder company has done the work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:37 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
Pressure has nothing to do with recoil.

I wouldn't say nothing, but it's only an indicator that is the product of a multi-variable equation. I'll bet there's a bunch of guys out there who have low pressure rounds throwing 1-3/4 oz loads - that's going to knock your socks off when compared to a "hot" target load. Those new ultra-sonic steel loads claim to have "normal" pressure ratings by using "progressive burn technology" and apparently won't dislocate your shoulder, but I won't use them.

What I was really trying to say is that I don't feel the need to be throwing large masses of shot no matter what the pressure; 1-1/8 oz will do me just fine and yes, I'd like to take the consideration of an old gun into account, so keeping pressures lower would also be desirable.

MD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:08 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Both of these are Green Dot loads, from the Alliant website:

12 Gauge
2 3/4-in. Remington Plastic Shells (STS, Nitro 27, Premier RXP and Gun Club)
1 shot wt.
Rem 209P
CB 1100-12

7500 PSI

12 Gauge
2 3/4-in. Remington Plastic Shells (STS, Nitro 27, Premier RXP and Gun Club)
1 1/8 shot wt.
Rem 209P
Fig 8 or DR RF8

8,500 PSI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Good info, thanks.