ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Any data yet for IMR PB powder?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Just curious if anyone has any data on PB yet? It tends to generate lower pressures and perhaps would be a good match to loading Nice Shot which has a tendency to increase pressures.

MD

Post subject: Re: Any data yet for IMR PB powder?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:36 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

It sounds like you're trying to use up hulls you have on hand? Check with Alliant, there are plenty of load combinations with Unique that are suitable, in 12 gauge.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:13 am 
Crown Grade

Yup. Checking....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:55 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

When talking hunting loads, it doesn't make a lot of sense to try to use what is laying around. Lots of people do, of course, but I've found it to be a waste of time. If we want good shells, we need to use the right stuff. You can see if Hodgdon wants to give you PB data, but I wouldn't hold my breath-- it isn't that popular.

A little knowledge is dangerous. Most hunters use factory shells and have no clue what propellant is being used. But, if you reload, now you start over-thinking . . . we talk ourselves into all kinds of odd things, with no evidence to support it. We obsess over wads, primers, and powder . . . even though we often have no clue what is really in a factory shotshell, or what breech pressure it is supposed to be. Ever hear of "cold weather issues" with factory shells? You probably haven't. Yet Blue Dot has been used in factory shells for decades. It is only when we load it that we start thinking about the guy at the club that says Blue Dot is bad juju in cold weather . . . though he doesn't remember how cold it was, really, and never shot it though a chronograph.

Professional ballisticians will tell you that higher pressure loads, 10,000 - 12,000 PSI lab MAP breech pressure loads are by far the best. The best meaning most consistent, cleanest burning, etc. What we call "high" presssure to a shotgun is low pressure to a .22 rimfire.

If you are using volumetric lead charge bars for Nice Shot, pressure drops . . . as you are throwing less payload than lead. I use volumetric charge bars because I want a good looking shell with a good crimp-- I'm not going to try to stuff in a few more pellets and end up with a pregnant looking shell. While reloads are based on mass, shell assembly is based on dimensions.

Unique has been around so long that there is more data for it than most propellants. It is still the most versatile shotshell propellant out there. The folks at Alliant have been busy with the latest breed of propellants that they think are better: (E3, 20/28, Pro Reach). They're probably right, of course, but I still burn more Green Dot than all other shotshell propellants combined.

With Nice Shot, you don't have any complications of buffers, etc., so it is pretty straightforward. Any published 10,000 PSI factory 12 gauge reload is going to be right in the ballpark. Precision Reloading will test the load you decide on, as will many others.

It is going to vary in your gun, the testing is done in a different barrel. You're also not likely to be hunting in a lab, either, or at lab temperatures, either.

Pheasant opener is in two weeks here, so I'm out of time. I'll be using factory 20 gauge Nice Shot loads-- I should have loaded up some Green Dot 1-1/8 oz. #5 12 gauge loads and sent them off by now, but other projects have crept up. That's my theory of a great pheasant / mallard 12 ga. shell, 1-1/8 oz. of Nice Shot via volumetric charge bar (slightly lighter) at about 1250 fps. Green Dot at 1230 - 1250 has been a good shell for everything in a 12 gauge . . . clays, doves, pigeons, pheasants, ducks, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:09 am 
Crown Grade

Is it that obvious I'm over thinking this? You pretty much described my thought processes over he last two weeks. Sounds like I need to quit obsessing, try a couple published recipes, pattern and evaluate.

MD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

This might help you:

http://randywakeman.com/Nice_Shot_Reloading_Pressures.htm.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:21 am 
Crown Grade

Good info again, but not helping me to stop obsessing! ;)

That begs the question, however: is the PR data for 1-1/8 oz by weight a drop from a 1-1/8 oz charge bar? My rough calculation indicates that 1-1/8 oz of Nice Shot has almost the volume of 1-1/4 oz lead. That may explain why some recipes use Fed 12s4 wads for 1-1/4 oz lead.

This is why I never got into reloading lead - I could just pattern a factory load and pay someone else to obsess over the "perfect" recipe.

MD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:21 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Published data is by weight.

Short version: pick a 10,000 psi load and go. If PB is your thing and you think you need more info, call Hodgdon.

If you want lab data with your reloads, just have Precision test them for you before shooting any of them.

OR: Use the P.R. Published Data for Nice Shot: http://randywakeman.com/Nice_Shot_Reloading_Data_12_Gauge.htm.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:52 am 
Crown Grade

Thanks