It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: 2 3/4" Waterfowl loads
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just received a kilo of #4 and #5 Nice Shot from Precision Reloading, which arrived in only 3 days with regular shipping. I'm going to get some 1 1/8 ouncers loaded up and patterned for next week. I really hope they pattern nice and drop the ducks (and maybe some Canadas too) because heavy weight non tox is about impossible to find now. It looks like a great product! I'll let you know how it goes.

Post subject: Re: 2 3/4" Waterfowl loads
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

The #5 shot patterned great on paper @30 yds through a mod choke. If this stuff drops the birds, I'm definitely stocking up...might get a chance to find out Friday.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:40 am 
Tournament Grade

Awesome! Keep us posted!

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wow! The #5's dropped these two geese at about 30yds with no problem. Needless to say the little bufflehead didn't stand a chance (at least when you can hit 'em :) ) I couldn't get the #4's to pattern near as well. Just curious what mixing the #4 and #5 together might do. I'm going to just get more #5's in the future but thought mixing the two sizes that I have might be a good way to use up the #4's. I can't believe how well those #5's performed, and in a 2 3/4" ounce and an eighth load too. Great product!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nice Shooting! The #4 should pattern better with a little less choke. Take a look at the pattern test on my home page: http://www.niceshotinc.com

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Funny you should mention the more open choke, I actually was using an IC choke and for some reason typed "mod" :oops: But anyway, I dropped the amount of powder (Universal) by about .5 grains, went to a different hull and added shot by hand to achieve an actual 1 1/8 oz load. My MEC Sizemaster dropped slightly below 1 1/16 oz on a regular cycle. Believe it or not the #4 pattern started looking like the one you linked, very good! To me it's actually a $ savings...no more 2 or even 3 shots of steel at birds. One shot of the Nice Shot is all that's needed. By the way that was the 1st goose retrieve for my 18 month old lab. I'm glad the goose wasn't fighting back :D Great product and good ole' American ingenuity!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks!!!! {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

I hate to sound like the marketing boys from BlindSide and Black Cloud and I'm not affilliated with Nice Shot what so ever. But WOW...I haven't been this excited about a waterfowl load since, well, ever! Give me those #5's and #4 Nice Shot loaded in a 2 3/4" shell any day over a 3" Remington, Winchester, Federal,/ you name it/ High Density load. Here's what I'm loading for anyone interested...

Remington STS Hull (The black Remington hulls hold just a tiny bit more - better for #4's)
22.3 grains of Universal
Blue Duster Wad
1 1/16 oz of #5's (This is what my MEC Sizemaster throws naturally)
or
1 1/8 oz of #4's (hand topped off to exact weight)

I'm shooting it out of an Xtrema II with the factory IC choke.

If you reload and are looking for some great waterfowl loads I strongly recommend trying either of these combos.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:22 pm 
Field Grade

I was told I'd find Nice Shot load recipes on this forum, any one that can help me in establishing a 12 guage 23/4" load for #5's?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oldschoolsxs wrote:
I was told I'd find Nice Shot load recipes on this forum, any one that can help me in establishing a 12 guage 23/4" load for #5's?

You are way over thinking this my friend. Get your favorite source for recipes (lyman 5th, http://www.hodgdon.com/ , ect.) and find a lead shot recipe that fits your hulls, powders, and wads. The only stipulation is that the load should have a pressure lower than 10,500 psi or preferably 10,000 psi or under.

From your posts I get the feeling that you seem to view nice shot more closely to steel than lead. You can load a 2 3/4" hull with 1 3/8oz #5 nice shot and have the ballistic equivalent to 1 1/8oz of #6 hard lead. I believe nice shot to be far superior to steel and that a 2 3/4" loading would be more than appropriate for decoying ducks. But then I am a crazy that has used 1 1/8oz 1556fps #6 steel for ducks over decoys. But if you want to a 1 1/4oz or more of nice shot be sure you are willing to incur the financial costs involved with it.

If you are hard set for published nice shot recipes here you go. Might try looking for stuff next time, it was on the page before this one. viewtopic.php?f=217&t=250121&p=2108983&view=show#p2108983

If you like the 28ga look at the new 28ga socity forum. SGW does not like f o r u m e r direct links, so copy and paste the link below and retype it to read f o r u m e r instead of furum without the spaces.
28gasociety.furum.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:32 am 
Field Grade

What happened to Big Dan's Blog on the Precision website Blog?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mtchamber, thanks for the recipe. I've been wanting a steel 2 3/4" load with Remmy hulls. Can I use that recipe for regular steel shot? What primer do you use?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mossybloke wrote:
Mtchamber, thanks for the recipe. I've been wanting a steel 2 3/4" load with Remmy hulls. Can I use that recipe for regular steel shot? What primer do you use?

Mossybloke, This recipe won't work for steel. Nice Shot is very close to regular lead shot and recipes can be substituted directly. I've never reloaded any steel, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be safe to use these recipes on steel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:41 pm 
Limited Edition

mtchamber wrote:
Mossybloke wrote:

Mossybloke, This recipe won't work for steel. Nice Shot is very close to regular lead shot and recipes can be substituted directly. I've never reloaded any steel, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be safe to use these recipes on steel.

mtchamber is right, it's an absolute NO, NO, NO. Steel reloading requires very different components, it is a whole different animal. Get a good reloading manual and look for specific steel recipes.