It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: How about some feedback from the users .
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't. Log on very often , but always disapointed their is not more post on this product . I used my 13/16 oz 12 ga target load with # 5 shot and it hammerd even geese @ 30 yrds . But the powder faild when it got real cold . I would love to hear some input from the users .

Post subject: Re: How about some feedback from the users .
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Have used Nice shot in both 12 and 16 gauge loads and have had good success with it. Sea ducks drop hard if I do my part even with 16 ga. No. 6s. Low pressure spreader loads are ideal in more tightly choked doubles that I haven't had opened up for other non-toxic (steel) yet. It appears to hit much harder than steel based on watching the ducks and pheasants fold up in the air.

It has revived the use of a couple of my old doubles in low pressure loads that have plenty of velocity. I've had them tested so sure that they're soft enough for my LC's and a couple of nice but not prestigious Knickerbockers.

Hasn't been very cold this year, but don't anticipate any issues with the PB or Green Dot loads. Only issue I've had is having to reduce the shot by ca. 1/8 oz. due to volume differences; that doesn't seem to affect its ability to bring down the ducks and pheasants, and the smaller size 7 makes a nice puff of the chukars' feathers, as it did today in a 3/4 oz. 2.5 inch 16 ga. load.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for your input . Looking forward to more . I like light fast 12 ga loads .any one with a recipe for a load like this ? My target powder is tightwad and did not perform in the xtream cold .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

I've used some of the factory loads in my L.C. Smith and they preform like Bismuth and lead as far as I can tell. I bought some 20's but did not get to use them this year. :roll: I had a lousy duck season with drought and warm weather. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

sorry, but no feed back, the ones that could comment are safely frozen in my freezer.

All kidding aside, it is simple to load, use same favorite lead load, sub Nice Shot, Stuff patterns like lead (at least in my experience) and hits just like lead.

I use it on waterfowl and on upland game where non-tox required. Unless something else I don't know about yet comes about, I won't use anything but Nice Shot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Best stuff i have ever used!!! loaded #4 shot 1 1/4 ounce over 32 grains of longshot powder. Used it on ducks this past year, my buddies could not believe how hard the birds were hit, ill be buying more.

Post subject: How about some feedback from the users .
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Size for goose hunting, recommended shot weight? Curious about it for fall.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

[quote="thomasartbutler"]Size for goose hunting, recommended shot weight? Curious about it for fall.

I started using NiceShot last year and 1 1/8 oz of #4"s do the job with no problem. You don't need too much speed either....1150 fps patterned better for me. I even dropped every goose I shot at with the same load of #5's. I'm only buying #5's this year...well I may buy another 2.2 lbs of the #4's for when goose is the only thing in season.
This is the best shot I've used on waterfowl yet. A little pricey but well worth it IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:20 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

mt,

Thanks sir! I got a chance to pass shoot them last year, and BB steel did ok, but I like rolling my own, so this should give me that option. Were your 4s at pass shooting ranges or over dekes?

TAB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

[quote="thomasartbutler"]mt,

Thanks sir! I got a chance to pass shoot them last year, and BB steel did ok, but I like rolling my own, so this should give me that option. Were your 4s at pass shooting ranges or over dekes? /quote]

I shot the geese over decoys, but a couple didn't decoy all that great. I would conservatively guess 30-35 yard crossing shots and there wasn't any "gliding" after hitting them. I wouldn't hesitate to at least try the 4's on some pass shooting but might want to have some 2's as back-up just in case. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

#4s on geese? :? Why?

I've used #6 Hevi-Shot and Tungsten-Matrix on geese in "surprise!" situations, but those were 30 yard shots. Most goose shooting is not 30-35 yards, although it maybe should be. At that range you can shoot them in the head and neck, like a flying turkey, and pellet size becomes almost unimportant.

But to me the question is why do you need to use such small pellets? Geese are big targets. Don't the #2s provide adequate coverage? I suppose if you're doing a mixed hunt and want adequate coverage for ducks as well #4 might be preferable. Or if you're shooting something like 28 gauge and can't pack more than about 3/4 oz into the hull, then the patters might get kinda thin with #2s. But I would think #4 shot would limit your range more than the average shooter would want. No? :?:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Researcher wrote:
#4s on geese? :? Why?

I've used #6 Hevi-Shot and Tungsten-Matrix on geese in "surprise!" situations, but those were 30 yard shots. Most goose shooting is not 30-35 yards, although it maybe should be. At that range you can shoot them in the head and neck, like a flying turkey, and pellet size becomes almost unimportant.

But to me the question is why do you need to use such small pellets? Geese are big targets. Don't the #2s provide adequate coverage? I suppose if you're doing a mixed hunt and want adequate coverage for ducks as well #4 might be preferable. Or if you're shooting something like 28 gauge and can't pack more than about 3/4 oz into the hull, then the patters might get kinda thin with #2s. But I would think #4 shot would limit your range more than the average shooter would want. No? :?:

I do typically goose hunt during duck season so that's one reason I use 4's or 5's. I also don't like to shoot geese much over 40 yds or so and at 40 yds #4's of Niceshot do the trick. #2's might work past that distance, but so far I haven't found the need to try it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:17 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

MT

Thanks again, I'll be looking for some #4 soon after I shoot up the rest of my BB steel this upcoming year.

TAB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well here is what a 1-1/8 ounce load of #4 Nice Shot out of my 16ga can do!Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:39 pm 
Field Grade

Not geese but I dropped 2 pheasants with 1 oz #5's from RST this morning. 1 at 45 yards after another guy using steel 4s just puffed some tail feathers. Made a convert out of him.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm using PB when it gets cold with good results. For incidental geese, I just shoot them with 1oz #6 that I have in the gun for ducks. They are all DRT. When I decoy geese, I use either #4 or #2. I prefer the #4 for better density and shoot a 1-3/8 load. I havn't shot a goose yet this year, but put plenty in the bag the last two years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:57 pm 
Field Grade

Fishnfowler wrote:
I'm using PB when it gets cold with good results. For incidental geese, I just shoot them with 1oz #6 that I have in the gun for ducks. They are all DRT. When I decoy geese, I use either #4 or #2. I prefer the #4 for better density and shoot a 1-3/8 load. I havn't shot a goose yet this year, but put plenty in the bag the last two years.

What muzzle velocity are you using for your goose loads? Goose season opens Thursday, but I may be a little busy and not get out until Friday.......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:14 am 
Field Grade

I've been reading this forum for years, but never felt the need to comment or make my voice heard. However, I suppose I should comment about something I truly believe in. So I'll make my first post (and probably my last) praising Nice Shot!

I initially heard of Nice Shot from Randy Wakeman. (Better give credit where credit is due.) Not sure when I read his article about Nice Shot, but it's been quite awhile. I was intrigued by it, because I shoot older Beretta autos (302s and 303s) and Ithaca Model 37s. It’s my belief that Beretta manufactures the best barrels, but my models are all pre-steel. So I've never really liked shooting steel from my Berettas, even though there hasn't been any damage from the small amount of steel shot through my barrels. (I've never shot steel from my Ithacas.)

Last year, I decided to finally shoot Nice Shot for the season. (Before this, I was shooting reloaded bismuth and a small amount of steel ... the lowest fps steel loads I could find.) I ordered a case of #4s. I used the first box to pattern one of my 302s, and found that those #4s worked exceptionally well in my gun with the fixed modified choke (.018 constriction out of that 302‘s bore). I was getting very dense patterns!

I’m not a huge waterfowler, but I’ll go with my addicted buddies 15 or so times a year. The first outing with the crew, I chose not to tell them what I was shooting. We like to mix things up a bit in the blind, such as playing Annie Oakley or something else. I happened to be the first-at-bat. When the first batch of pintails came into our decoys that morning, I stood from the blind, picked the second to closest bird, and pulled the trigger. Up to that day, I’d never seen anything like it: the drake’s head nearly severed from one shot! I pulled up again and took the closest bird. Again, one shot and it was completely, utterly, and entirely dead. Both birds fell from the sky like boulders!

I was so enamored with what just happened that it didn't even cross my mind to use the third shell for another bird. We were all stunned! But of course I pretended it was nothing and that I was inherently born with James Bond-like skills.:lol: (I'm only 31; so I don't know what it was like to hunt waterfowl with lead. But, for me, I'd never seen anything like what happened.)

Now, three of the five crew members shoot Nice Shot.

I support Mr. Tercho. He has made an exceptional product that produces exceptional results.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank You!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mr Tercho :
I am a fellow 16ga enthusiast and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate what you have done for our old guns . Thank you , sir , for a wonderful product . Now I just can't wait to get some shot and roll my own loads