ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Nice shot questions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:25 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I did some pass shooting geese with 3 in bb steel loads- I did ok with the steel, and have meat in the freezer, but then I come across this nice shot part of SGW... I have a couple of questions that perhaps some of you might have an answer to.

I reload lead for clay targets and field hunting loads. I have a lot of the loading supplies on hand needed for reloading an 1 1/4 oz load in STS hulls. I love the idea of getting back to a 2 3/4 in load versus 3 in mag loads. Felt recoil should be less. :D

Several loads for 1 1/4 oz calls for the CB 1114-12 wad, which IIRC, replaces the Winchester OEM wad (that wonderful, magical, yellow 1 1/4 oz wad.) I have about 500 of those things laying around. I presume the OEM wad is a safe substitute?

Now, am I thinking clearly as well? For pass shooting geese, #2 nice shot in a 1 1/4 oz load should be sufficient to 50 yards? I know, choke and pattern make the difference, but I ask for the sake of getting a place to start. Maybe I need to load 1 3/8 oz so as to have a good even pattern?

Choking appears to be the same as lead, so I presume I can start with IM or F for patterning this load?

Let me know what you fellows rthink. Randy Wakeman, thanks for the published data. I don't have blue dot or nice shot, but I can recitify that. I have everything else I could need to make up that load.

TAB

Post subject: Re: Nice shot questions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

There are several BD loads, or use Herco:

12 Gauge
•2 3/4-in. Remington Plastic Shells (STS, Nitro 27, Premier RXP and Gun Club)
•1 1/4 shot wt.
•Rem 209P
•WAA12F114

Shot Wt. (ounces) Velocity (fps) Primer Powder Wad Grains Approx. psi
1 1/4 1,250 Rem 209P Herco WAA12F114 24.5 9,300

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:07 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Randy,

Am I reading your posts and data correctly, A 10k psi (approx) recipe should work as a good starting point for a reload on Nice Shot? Likely I'll just get a few lbs of blue dot (what can't it do?) and the NS. I do have Herco, and havn't cracked it open yet, until I exhaust a supply of Unique.

What are your thoughts about choke, load size and speed for pass shooting geese? I had luck with modified and BB steel at 1425 fps, up to about 50 yards, because of a good pattern with Kent fasteel. Where to start for Nice Shot?

Thanks for your suggestions.

TAB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:56 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I'd start with about a .025 in. constriction and compare patterns.

http://randywakeman.com/

Post subject: Nice shot questions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Thanks Randy, have you shot any geese with the stuff. Reviews are sounding good. I'll get the precision reloading catalogue and get to it for the next year.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine