Post subject: What Makes Shotshell Pellets Work Better
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Its a good read.

http://randywakeman.com/WhatMakesShotsh ... Better.htm

Post subject: Re: What Makes Shotshell Pellets Work Better
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:13 am 
Tournament Grade

Interesting read for a novice reloader like myself. I would like to hear Randy provide additional opinion on bismuth or ITX as compared to both Nice Shot and Hevi-shot in the reloading market for older non-toxic.

Masonic Lodge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:31 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Bismuth has never given me acceptable results and Hevi-Shot offers nothing in the way of softer shot for lead-only barrels for the reloader.

The sole problem with Nice Shot is availability. I have not used ITX, but the density (10.0 g/cc) is close to Nice Shot, and the reports are universally favorable.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you Randy.

I was leaning towards bismuth figuring it was significantly cheaper, but that ends up not being the case.

All 3 (ITX, Bismuth, Nice Shot) are in the mid $20's per pound range. At a load cost range of $1.50 to $1.90 per shot shell there is little difference in price. So I actually get to compare the products without any major consideration for price!

It still kills me to think magnum lead and zinc plated steel can be had in the $0.10 to $0.13 per shell range.

Masonic Lodge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

I load ITX, Bismuth and Nice shot for my vintage guns using black powder , and although I have shot a lot of geese and ducks with Bismuth, I prefer Nice Shot when I can get it- and I buy as much as I can when I can! :D
I loaded a bunch for a friend for his 28 after he saw my post on another forum, and he smashes ducks with that stuff!
ITX works well, but I really like the Nice Shot.
Davide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Hey I've been sold! I loved everything I read about nice shot, I hate steel, and I hate paying 3$ a shell for hevi-duck (though I'm buying up all the old wingmaster hd I can find love that stuff) I just ordered a 2.2lbs bag of #6 from nice shot to see how it goes. One problem, I read on the web site that it "loads just like lead" now to find out it runs a little high pressure!!! I have 16 lbs of promo, 1lb of blue dot, and 1bs of e3. I was hoping to make 1 1/8th-1oz loads with rem GC/nitro hulls, fig 8 wads, and my normal 19 grains of promo. Issue is that give about 10,400 psi. With extra pressure that's waaaay too close for me. I see CCI primers will get it down to 9,900 only issue will be finding em. Dan, or anyone else have a recipe I can use safely for 1 1/8th-1 1/16th with the components I have? or at least with the promo? We all know running out and buying a few different lbs of powder just isn't an option anymore. O also I really don't want to load 1 1/4oz of nice shot with blue dot for $ reasons.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:50 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

See the Alliant website.

1 oz. 1,310 Rem 209P Promo Fig 8 or DR RF8 21.5 9,100

For 1-1/8 oz.: www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/reciped ... 3&gauge=12 .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ya right I'd be looking at it So do you think with whatever increase in pressure I get from nice-shot it will still stay safe? Also because it is a little lighter that will be edging more towards the pellet count of 1 1/8th?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey Randy, thanks so much for that link. I some how didn't catch the last paragraph that says using a lead charge bar will result in a 7% reduction in pellets thus not creating pressure issues. Am I reading that correctly? And am I also reading correctly that if I want to load a full 1 1/8th by weight I'll need to find a recipe that has a pressure 1,500 psi below 11,500 max? Am I getting close? Sorry to bother yall about this I just hate shooting steel, can't afford hevi, and/or a whole new set up of powder, wads, etc. So I'm really eager to get the best performance out of this stuff (which looks amazing btw) yet keep all my fingers and vision in the process.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey Randy, thanks so much for that link. I some how didn't catch the last paragraph that says using a lead charge bar will result in a 7% reduction in pellets thus not creating pressure issues. Am I reading that correctly? And am I also reading correctly that if I want to load a full 1 1/8th by weight I'll need to find a recipe that has a pressure 1,500 psi below 11,500 max? Am I getting close? Sorry to bother yall about this I just hate shooting steel, can't afford hevi, and/or a whole new set up of powder, wads, etc. So I'm really eager to get the best performance out of this stuff (which looks amazing btw) yet keep all my fingers and vision in the process.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:15 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Nice Shot, at 14-16 Brinell, is no harder than 5% and 6% antimony lead, or the best “magnum” shot. Hodgdon Powder Company evaluated Nice Shot, and suggested that a comfortable area to load in would be subtracting 1500 PSI from their published lead data, although the average difference in pressure was less.

SAAMI Shotgun Pressure Specifications

Shotshell Maximum Average Pressure (MAP) in PSI

10 gauge 11,000
12 gauge 11,500 (except 3-1/2 in.)
12 gauge 3 1/2 in. 14,000
16 gauge 11,500
20 Gauge 12,000
28 gauge 12,500
.410 Bore 2 1/2 in. 12,500
.410 Bore 3 in. 13,500

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As listed above, SAAMI MAP values are 11,500 psi for 12 gauge 2-3/4 in. and 3 inch shells.

Pick a load, any load, published at 10,000 PSI or less . . . . and you are inside SAAMI specs. That's all there is.

That is almost all of the Alliant Promo loads there are, with STS hulls and 209P primers:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/ ... 2&gauge=12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Thank you so much. Obviously I'm pretty new to the reloading thing I really appreciate your help speaks highly of your character. And I'm sure you know I'll get hooked on this stuff and be ordering by the truckload asap haha!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey been using nice shot really love it getting ready to order the big bag. But I have been noticing that, as with all reloads, the crimp is totally perfect. It has just a millimeter gap. They shoot perfectly but I'm worried about water getting in there and ruining the powder etc. anyone ever encounter this or seal the top of the round with anything?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Image North wind was cranking at about 20-25mph today temp at 64 and only 11 days left in Florida's duck season. Teal, ringers, blue bills, and Florida mallards all screaming with the wind and decoy shy and hunter wary. Niceshot preformed amazingly!!! No prickling big birds with small shot and no missing small birds with patchy patterns from big shot. You guys have a customer for life! Expect a big order from me soon! Every bird was stone dead with one shell! Can NOT do that with steel. Posted a pic of the best looking drake blue wing I've ever taken. O and not to mention shooting what equates to a medium/light recoil target shell is a real treat compared to the shoulder punching of normal steel . Thanks again yalls product is amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:25 pm 
Field Grade

That was a good article Randy, many thanks for sharing that information I'll be passing that along as it bodes right to a discussion we had recently regarding non toxic shot options.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

In loads I have had tested, I did not experience a 1500psi difference, in fact on of the 16ga loads was lower than lead.
Love the nice shot, as Randy stated, only thing holding me back is availability, so this year I ran some of the Rio Bismuth loads through the 12ga, worked just fine. Have not tried the rio bismuth in 16ga, and it is a bit slower than the 12ga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

We're you able to recover any rio bismuth? I'm a believer in the theory that the harder shot the better it patterns. Any nice shot I've recovered has looked more or less just like when I loaded it. I'm attributing that to its hardness and it then staying more lethal. Some say flawed logic but hey.