It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Nice day on the River
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Got out early yesterday to chase some woodies at a local small river. I had a spot near some oak trees scouted out. Great day, nice to be able to shoot duck with only one layer of clothes. Bought a 1950 Sweet 16off this site a few months ago and had 3 boxes of Nice Shot #5. Second duck I shot, going away, had 2 loads out into it but it still swam off and died in some trees upriver a bit. Dog was having a hard time navigating the trees so I called her back. By the time we got over there in the boat we found it floating dead. Since the duck was so strong I was wondering about Nice Shot as this was the first time I have used it. When I cleaned that duck there were 2 good sized holes in the breast plate. Pellets had to pass all the way thru from the back. Lots of blood and it is amazing the duck lasted so long to swim 50-60 yards up river (very slow current). But seeing the damage I am no longer worried about Nice Shot.
When I got back to the canoe landing I took a few pics, enjoy.

Have to have a pic of the Sweet in there too.

in this one take a good look at the ducks left leg.

My second duck band in my 20 years of waterfowling. Pretty awesome day.

Post subject: Re: Nice day on the River
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

That background looks like a drop from a photography studio. Great stuff and congratulations.

Post subject: Nice day on the River
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:49 pm 
Limited Edition

Wow, beautiful pictures. That dog looks thrilled. Those could be a cover on a Cabelas catalogue.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:55 pm 
Global Moderator

Congrats, looks like a good day afield. Love my Poke Boat.

Local or federal band on the drake?

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Indeed, great pics! How can people not believe theres a God when the fall looks like it does? Beware of the poke boat. If your a right hand shooter and you swing to your right side and then a duck breaks off the flock your shooting at and flies directly over your head and you shoot strait up while leaning back you ABSOLUTLY WILL go for a swim. I still love my poke boat though, I have had it for almost 20 years. But if you swing right dont lean back to take an overhead shot the water in january is to cold for swimming. You gotta love woodies, look great taste great too.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Rubberhead wrote:
That background looks like a drop from a photography studio. Great stuff and congratulations.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Federal band. Duck was banded in Western Kentucky 5 years ago as an adult. So at least a 6 yr old bird.

Thanks for all the nice comments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:59 am 
Diamond Grade

Have a lot of woodducks where I live and a cripple can be a real dickens to find. I have yet to find a no-cripple load and think that Nice -Shot would be ideal. I have used a 16 this year with excellent results. Like the others I like the photos (actually I wish I could do that and am a bit envious.)

DP