It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Nice Shot Inc.

Post subject: Is reloading a good idea for me?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm posting to get some advice. I'm thinking about next duck season here in Michigan. I'd like to get some better ammunition for my 12 guage, I currently shoot 3" steel #2,#3, and #4 for ducks and the occasional goose. I have an old single stage reloader in the basement, but have never used it. Is it easy to get started reloading with Nice Shot?

Thanks,

Scott from Leslie, MI

Post subject: Re: Is reloading a good idea for me?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I would suggest to start reloading some lead target loads to get a feel for reloading. Get a Lyman's reloading book and search the reloading forum to get some ideas and better educated. Then, once you are comfortable reloading and have some idea what components you want to use, then load some test loads of Nice Shot and try them in your gun.
OR just buy a few boxes of the commercially made shells and see if you like them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

If you are planning on a handful of shells just for Duck season, reloading is probably not for you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:34 pm 
Field Grade

I understand Wing_Shoot's response and respect it.

As an alternate point of view, if reloading adds to your enjoyment of shotgunning and you do not have a large outlay for equipment, then go for it.

You will enjoy the satisfaction of taking game with loads you have put together yourself, and added another facet to your shooting hobby.

Loading target loads for 12 or 20 gauge will probably not be cost effective unless you compare the cost to Remington STS or Winchester AA loads to loading your own as opposed to Wally World 100 packs. You really need to order supplies in bulk from Graf's, Precision Reloading, Gameliels, etc to save money reloading target loads. 16 & 28 gauge or .410 bore are a whole nuther animal and you can save a ton of money reloading those for target loads.

You definately WILL save money loading the higher cost field loads. Best part is, you can reload Nice Shot with standard lead shot components.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies all, and I'd say that everyone is right on the mark.

My interest is mostly to hit ducks and geese harder in the 20-30 yard ranges. I hate losing wounded game, and this is driving my quest. The end result is that inside of 40 yards, a hit duck is a dead duck.

Thanks again,

Scott from Leslie, MI

Last edited by smithsc1 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

That seems a little high. If you picked up some hulls from the range and looked up a load you could probably find cheaper wads and Then the only "special" component you would need would be the shot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:53 am 
Limited Edition

Another benefit of using NiceShot is that it is denser than steel. So, you can use a smaller size shot, say #4's and get more pellets per shell. Once you get a load set up be sure to pattern it, as all different types of shot patterns differently. Reloading is a satisfying part of the joy of hunting.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:46 am 
Crown Grade

the other great point of niceshot is speed.

you can customise your speed of the shot to your liking or reduce and/or increase...

i use a light game sxs now and again, and the normal 1400fps lead loads are just too punishing. its not enjoyable. so i customise subsonic #4 lead loads. they pattern brilliant and can still take game beyond reasonable doubt. and not punch the hell out of me.
with your criteria, easy #5 classic 1,1/8oz load at 1300fps should get game easily.

as for the occasional goose, maybe load 2s or 4s. those should still get anything within 40 yards, 30 easily.
if you intentionally want to go for goose, then larger shotsize is a mustfor pass shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:09 pm 
Utility Grade

I've been thinking about getting a SxS for ducks. The idea of a slow load of nice shot has a lot of promise to me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:50 am 
Crown Grade

smithsc1 wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a SxS for ducks. The idea of a slow load of nice shot has a lot of promise to me.

the only bad thing i have noticed when shooting clays with subsonics, is going to normal ammo after. ducks are a relatively bigger target than clays at the same distance, there is reloading data available in this forum. i just use larger than average shotsizes for shooting game anyway.

in the old days 1400fps and 1500fps even 1600fps was not even considered.

simply, you can build practice ammo with lead, then go to niceshot.
you see my merkel sxs is just choked way too tight. it is beyond full and just less than full.
steel is definately not the answer. due to the chokes. it is too light to be shooting 1500fps loads regularly.

a few game shooters here are using subsonic #4 lead 1,1/8oz loads for phesents english driven game shooting. soft recoil, ideal for extremely light game guns some being 5lbs "

slow loads do pattern slightly tighter but each gun is different.

i think niceshot is the answer to premium nontoxics. just having it the ability to change speed, weight and shotsize is an added bonus. if you are unsure about reloading this stuff, there are comercial shells avaialble. best of both worlds.